Page 1 of 1
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:23 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
OK so I have been sitting here for about 8 hours messing with Quake 3. I have my server up on the LAN testing a gillion things. Well one thing that REALLY bothered me about Quake 3 on dreamcast...was teh framerate. On a TV its not so bad cause you have the tvs display kinda...anti-aliasing everything. However going through a VGA box....you really start to get a headache after about an hour of play. Its super crisp on the monitor, and when you strafe around and wafe your gun, things instantly crumble in framerate. Well not crumble but....it starts to wear on you after a while.

Well I was going over some console input commands. One of them controls the quality of textures that are in the distance. I think it might slightly lower all the textures in the game but i have no idea. Honestly after applying this. I can't tell the difference.

if you have a keyboard on your DC, press F12 to bring up the console window. Then type in:

;r_detailtextures 1

It COMPLETLY enhances the frames per second. So far I THINK you only have to do this 1 time for each server you wanna play on. You simply have to join a game, input the command and hit enter, then exit and can rejoin that same game.

Seriously. So much easier on my eyes now. I personally am seeing a HUGE increase in Frames here man. I'm not really sure wether its making it MORE detailed or LESS detailed. All I know is, its much more fluid. It rocks.

Guys test this if you want to, and let me know if you can see a considerable difference. or any difference at all.

EDIT: OMG HOLY CRAP!!!! BEST TWEAK! I cannot play without applying this tweak. It's like a WHOLE new game people!!!!!

EDIT: I think you just have to do this 1 time, sometimes I would enter a server and it would reset back to defualt. I'm not quite sure yet. I need to play with it more to see exactly when you need to enter and if it does reset. But I think youn need to just go online, enter the cmd 1 time and then should be good to go for the duration of your online experience. (it might be some of the modded servers that reset this).
Posted:
Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:56 am
quote : #2
I completely agree that that switch makes it better; thanks for showing us how to do it on the DC. It is absolutely true that in Q3A, framerate is the number one consideration as far as gameplay goes. High resolution textures (and high screen resolutions on the PC version) are great, but framerate makes the game fun to play.

Another thing to add: I remember playing Q3A on a really crummy PC with a really first-generation graphics card. We took the resolution down as far as it would go and turned all the textures all the way down, but it still wasn't very playable.

Things all the sudden got playable when we turned off the dynamic lighting and used the option that turned the items (guns, ammo, health, armor, etc.) into just icons instead of 3D models. We did that in the options menu, so I'm not sure how to set those options (simple items and no dynamic lighting) using the console. Does anybody know how? I'm sure it would help even more (especially when using weapons like the railgun).

Personally, I actually prefer simple items, even when playing on a high-end PC. It makes it a lot easier to see what you're looking at from far away.

evilnine
unknown
Posted:
Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:25 pm
quote : #3
hhhmmmm looks the same 2 me. frame rate on q3 barely bothers me, i use 2 it, frame rate in q3 burns me up in multiplayer
Posted:
Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:37 am
quote : #4
sounds cool Very Happy
Posted:
Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:39 pm
quote : #5
ALSO not sure wether any of you have played doing this yet. Maybe you already do this and my next comment here will be redundant. But I found ANOTHER way....a very easy way. To give yourself smoother gameplay. TURN OFF the status bar. The whole front HUD where it shows your head, and your health and armor. In player options while in game you can turn it off. It really improves the fluidity of the graphics.

Not only this. But now you have the WHOLE screen.

I played with show 3rd person view as well, but its just not very good, there is no crosshairs...so makes it very difficult to target anything.

EDIT: Also i just learned you actually have to set the r_detailtextures to "0" not one. I'll explain more about this in the upcoming tutorials.
Posted:
Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:28 am
quote : #6
Type: PAL
Hello,

I'm a new user of Onlineconsoles. This is a very interesting site for DC users to help to maintain the online gaming alive.
I've always been a great fan of ID Software games, Doom, Quake, Quake III Arena and I think the Dreamcast version is great.
i'm not sure if these commands work on the DC version of the game but you can try, maybe they will improve framerate:

;r_dynamiclight 0 (this turn off dynamic lighting of weapons etc)

;r_vertexlight 1 (this command changes the form of lighting in maps, from lightmap to vertex. It improves framerate on PC but is more ugly).

;r_lightmap 1 (enable lightmaps, all looks uglier I think)

Greetings!

MeltedIce
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:30 pm
quote : #7
Can you open the console without a keyboard? Im sure you can't but I just wanted to make sure.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:38 am
quote : #8
Check out my guide: click here

The one thing you can do to improve your framerate and looking movement is shut off the status bar in player options. Having that aliased overlay on does knock the framerate down quite considerably.
Posted:
Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:33 pm
quote : #9
MeltedIce wrote:
Can you open the console without a keyboard? Im sure you can't but I just wanted to make sure.

i am wondering that too, i am pretty sure you cant though, is there any way?

Doom27
banned!
Posted:
Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:04 pm
quote : #10
too bad i dont have keyboard Sad

Q3DM17er
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:36 pm
quote : #11
I've been playing Q3 for a long time for the PC, and being that one of my computers are extremely slow which I use to play LAN sometimes, I tweak it like crazy. I've obtained half of these commands from other websites then experimented with them for FPS. Changing most of these should help, but you should always double check... would be good to check it with this command, and hopefully atleast this one will work:

;cg_drawfps "1"

Here are a list of Q3 commands I use for MAX FPS, I changed the commands from the PC with a "/" to a ";", and you all might want to try these:

;cg_forceModel "0"
;cg_simpleItems "1"
;cg_drawRewards "0"
;cg_drawAttacker "0"
;cg_drawAmmoWarning "1"
;cg_drawIcons "0"
;cg_draw3dIcons "0"
;cg_drawSnapshot "0"
;cg_drawTimer "0"
;cg_drawStatus "1"
;cg_draw2D "0"
;cg_gibs "0"
;cg_drawGun "0"
;cg_marks "0"
;cg_drawCrosshairNames "0"
;cg_brassTime "0"
;s_loadas8bit "1"
;cg_shadows "0"
;r_swapInterval "0"
;r_finish "0"
;r_dynamiclight "0"
;r_drawSun "0"
;r_fastsky "1"
;r_flares "0"
;r_lodbias "2"
;r_lodCurveError "200"
;r_ignoreFastPath "1"
;r_subdivisions "130"
;r_vertexLight "1"
;r_fullscreen "1"
;r_ignorehwgamma "0"
;r_overBrightBits "1"
;r_mapOverBrightBits "3"
;r_colorbits "32"
;r_texturebits "16"
;r_detailtextures "0"
;r_roundImagesDown "2"
;r_picmip "1"
;cg_viewsize "100"
;cg_predictItems "0"
;com_blood "0"
;com_maxfps "0"
;s_musicvolume "0"

;r_textureMode "GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST"
;r_ext_texture_env_add "1"
;r_ext_compiled_vertex_array "1"
;r_ext_multitexture "1"
;r_ext_compress_textures "1"
;r_allowExtensions "1"
;r_glDriver "opengl32"
;r_ext_gamma_control "1"

;s_khz "11"

(Good luck trying the last few, I really doubt these will work)

I'm assuming half of these will not work, and while testing them, one might want to check what their original value was before changing it by obviously just typing the command with no variable listed afterwards.

Some of these commands disable things you might normally want to see, such as:

;cg_drawAttacker "0"
;cg_forceModel "0"

The first one effects if it draws the the person attacking you (their headmodel) at the top right of the screen. The one below it automatically makes everyone the same model as you saving memory, and FPS if you pick a low FPS model I am assuming. So you really need to play around with them, and see which of these settings you might want and not want. Good luck Dreamcast users, and hopefully some of these will help out!