Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:53 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
MODS SUCK!

Normal games on normal servers, please. No one gives a crap about your "Atomic Instagib" or "Rocket Launcher gibs, RailGun teleports" crap after they are forced to play it over and over again because it is the only server with a good ping. Please ditch all of your crappy server-side mods that don't do anything for gameplay.

What the hell is wrong with a normal weapon set, and normal rules?!

Thank you,
-Jeff

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:13 pm
quote : #2
This is what happened to the Tribes games on the PC. Everyone and their mother had a mod. Not to mention that they all sucked and only two games had a normal rule set.

When I host a server, there will be NO MODS WHATSOEVER.

-Mytho

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:05 pm
quote : #3
My server is in kind of an interesting situation right now. I have a spare P233 with 78MB RAM that I intend to use, but the only drive that I had lying around that I could spare for the system was a 2-gigger that recently took a crap on me. The system reqs. for Q3 on PC say 440MB required, plus 110 for a swap, plus a bare install of Windows 98, and all I have left are some old 600MB paperweights.

With no job yet (Not hired until march, damn their scaly hides...) I have trouble finding money to throw down for hardware, and none of my friends love me enough to give me any, so it'll be a few weeks yet before "Einhander's DC-Only" is serving the north-west. If the network load isn't huge, I'll probably leave it up constant on weekends, along with anytime during the week that me and the locals want to get a game going.

But I will definately not have any crappy mods going on... Except maybe one. There is server-side mod for Quake III that lets you control the amount of time bodies stay in the level before they "float" into the ground, and it also lets you determine the gib count on explosive deaths. The only problem is, it would more than likely strain the DC and the server to have all of these extra entities flying around in the form of extremely excessive gibs, so I'll have to do some testing before I decide whether or not it's something I'll keep.

freaky
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:17 am
quote : #4
Einhander do have any idea about what actually goes into writing a mod??
i feel sorry for these people that spend the time and effort writing something that clearly
you have no understanding of.
ok i agree with you about the teleporting rails, and that they do nothing for gameplay value, but the fact is that someone probably spent the last 2days writing at least 300 lines of code just so the railgun fires like that,or 9pages of code just so a dc player can use a grappling hook.
personally it has taken me about 2 years to learn full c# coding allong with 3d modeling and level editing and then another 10 month just to write 1 mod and for what?
so someone can say ohhhh..it has a grapple...i think ill play regualr quake instead?
and all this not for my own benefit,but for the benefit of the dc players that connect and play there.
and what about ctf?surely by now you have worked out that ctf started its early life as a MOD for quake2 before being bought by id software and added as stardard for quake3 after its blatent mass appeal,and look at it now you cant buy a fps without some kind of ctf mode included with it.
were would we be if that had never happend?
so please give some thought to the people that spend many a day,or year in my case writing mods for the benefit of others to use and if you simply dont like them,then dont play them.
oh and as for having no regular servers,last time i checked there were over 90 sitting there
doing nothing so im sure you can find one that gives you a decent ping.
Posted:
Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:48 pm
quote : #5
Or not.

Quote:
Einhander do have any idea about what actually goes into writing a mod??
i feel sorry for these people that spend the time and effort writing something that clearly
you have no understanding of.

Ouch. Yeah, I know the amount of work that goes into creating mods. I have a friend who got pretty heavy into some Quake modding, and then got into HL. I lack the ability to do as he does, but I know what he does. You don't have a clue who I am, or what my experiences are, so you need to keep your assumptions to yourself.

Quote:
personally it has taken me about 2 years to learn full c# coding allong with 3d modeling and level editing and then another 10 month just to write 1 mod and for what?
so someone can say ohhhh..it has a grapple...i think ill play regualr quake instead?

Uhhh... yeah, if regular Quake is more fun. I do respect that you took the time and effort to learn C though, as I can barely code "Hello World".

Quote:
and what about ctf?surely by now you have worked out that ctf started its early life as a MOD for quake2 before being bought by id software and added as stardard for quake3 after its blatent mass appeal,and look at it now you cant buy a fps without some kind of ctf mode included with it.

I'm not a betting man, but I would definately bet against teleporting RailGuns being incorporated into Quake IV. CTF was not bought. CTF was not created for Q2. CTF doesn't even belong in this conversation because it started life as a client-side mod. DreamCast's cannot do client-side mods.

Quote:
oh and as for having no regular servers,last time i checked there were over 90 sitting there doing nothing so im sure you can find one that gives you a decent ping.

Do you play the DC version of Quake? I have never logged on and seen more than ten active servers at any given time, let alone ninety...

My point is, just because you have spent a year on something doesn't mean people want to play it. All I ask is for people to realize that there is an audience out there for standard Q3 deathmatch, people who didn't buy the game for mods. I respect that you have a working knowledge of Quake III and it's inner dynamics, but I respectfully request that you try playing a little DC Quake III sometime. Try it on dial-up, like the vast majority of DC gamers do, and then tell me if you still feel the same.

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:32 pm
quote : #6
i agree with ein, i have played a lot of quake 3 on the dc and hate the whole mod side of it, it completely ruins the gameplay, i have never joined a mod server where the host was doin it for my benefit, the last one i joined had flying and bouning rockets and shit and it was just so they could get easy kills off of the poor dumb dc fools who just want to play the game as it was meant. one guy i played with had moded the level so much that everywhere you turned a quad damage appeared but i couldnt pick it up only he could all i had was that gay grappling hook and a rocket launcher. please dont keep doing this modding bollox as it is quite selfish and unfair on those less fortunate. play the damn game your way with other pc players not on the dc servers!!!!
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:02 pm
quote : #7
People have a definate right to voice their distaste for mods. I personally am not a big fan of mods. The servers that have them on dreamcast do tend to get a little buggy with lag spouting up and people teleporting around sometimes. This could also be because these servers are hosted off home DSL/Cable lines.

However the harsh reality is. We don't have the right to bitch at server owners to take the mods off. They are their servers, they can do whatever they want with them. They might not care if people want to play them. They can mod them to all hell and back if they want to because they own them. Its their right. People should think twice about specifically bitching that the server owners and mod creators.

I don't like mods, but the only thing I can say is....damnit we need more servers that don't have mods, and people gotta get some up. Just last night I got a DC Quake 3 server installed and running on linux and successfully connected from my DC. It is my personal goal to get a whole list of US based DC Q3 servers up. With no mods, and standard gameplay. We are going to look to run 4-8 servers to begin with, then expand from there. Then we'll have the good modded servers hosted by other users and some great normal servers finally up as well. It will be more balanced and there will finally be enough servers for people to start regularly playing more. A shitload of people here have Quake 3 at this site. Most people are not normally playing because the US listing is usually quite cramped, its hard to find just a normal Quake 3 game. With more servers added soon this should all change.

Your right got-freaky? for gamers that own the PAL version of Quake 3 there is like 90 some servers that come up. However the network they are on gets rather stressed, and we don't get very good pings from the US. Recently the network has gone to shit and people have had a very difficult time connecting. Also its hard for us to connect to those servers because we have to manually enter them. So they can only be used for scheduled games and not just casual gameplay. To track to see if anyone is online playing on the EUR servers we would have to manually enter in and hit 'info' for ever single one from the dreamcast.
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:59 pm
quote : #8
You're right, LN, I can't complain without trying to solve the problem.

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1338