Page 1 of 1
Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:56 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
So I got a DreamCast Quake III Deathmatch server up and running a few minutes ago, tested it with my DC upstairs on dial-up, and I am very excited.

Lord Nikon, I used your Quake 3 server setup instructions, with one exception. Using your standard instructions, my server was coming up as "No name" in the master server list, so I replaced the standard server name line in the config you prvided for FFA with the follwing:

set sv_hostname "Insert Server name here (DreamCast)"

...which I got from an earlier post on the boards here.

In case you are wondering, my server name isn't "Insert server name here", It's Einhander's DC-Only, and it runs mod-free with a frag limit of 20 and a time limit of 40 minutes (to keep the maps changing when no one is on). Currently it runs the full gamut of the DC map pack, but I'll more than likely be trimming the list tomorrow. If you see it in the list, I won't demand, but I would prefer if you only connected if you are on dial-up, and it would be nice if you used a controller for gameplay and the keyboard for chatting. I want to try to keep the playing field as even as possible.

I didn't have any network slowdown when I was surfing the web after I was done playing on it, but I don't know what (if any) lag I was adding to the two guys who were still playing on my server while I was doing this. Tomorrow will be a day of testing, while I check the DC's connection whilst my roomate uses the computer downstairs.

I changed my mind, and opted to use the Celeron 366MHz with 128MB RAM (my normal use computer) instead of a completely dedicated server on the old P200/78MB because I couldn't get ahold of a spare HD, and won't be able to for at least a week. Also, the router I was going to use is on loan, so for the time being, the Celeron will have to do. I don't do any gaming on it anyway, I just use it for internet access.

To break it all down,

Einhander's DC-Only
Celeron 366MHz 128MB RAM
Most likely going to be a Friday afternoon-Sunday night, with assorted use during the week, so it'll be up for all you weekend warriors.

"And that's about all I have to say about that." - Forrest Gump

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:15 am
quote : #2
Yea I still need to fix those config files. I am going to update them soon with some more tips and such as well. yea the sv_hostname thing was pointed out by user Na'Ryan[UK] in another thread. I still need to update the configs.

It's going to be kinda hard to 'mediate' who logs on to play on your server. keyboard + mouse + dialup only cuts out a lot of people, especially people here at the site. I know a lot of people here use controllers they don't have a mouse. Also I have a BBA.

Honestly I have found no real difference in gameplay when I am using my BBA. On good servers dialup user's ping is just as good as mine. In fact a BBA dreamcast user actually helps because then thats one less user that might lag a game out.

When PC users join it becomes a problem because they have a clear advantage with the higher framerate and resolution. They can clearly see a dreamcast user faster and more efficiently...thus you normally get killed by a PC player much much faster than you would a DC player.

However in the end there is no way to control this at all. I have though about it greatly. I do think PC players should play on PC servers and let the dreamcast users play with dreamcast users. However I think all dreamcast users should be able to play together. If lag is affecting the gameplay everyone understands that the lag is affecting another persons ability to score points. Whenever I am playing I just play to have fun. bragging, gloating, and shit talking is near impossible on Dreamcast Quake 3...simply because everyone is in different locations, some people are using mice, some are using controllers, some people don't have a keyboard even, others have 33k modems, others have 56k modems, and some have BBA's. People's setups are so wide and diverse. Most all users learn to accept that and just play to have fun....promoting this style of gameplay is much more efficient rather than screening people by their quake 3 setups.

I will be adding new configs soon with more features and new information on a linux server setup.

(FYI: Look into adding a Message of the Day string to your config, at the time i couldn't get that to work properly, going to troubleshoot that soon. Set up a message of the day stating something like "For Dreamcast Players only, no PC" or something to that effect.)
Posted:
Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:39 am
quote : #3
party on Einhander, thanks for supporting the community. look forward to seeing you on your server!

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:46 am
quote : #4
I'm going to attempt to get the PC version of Quake 3 this weekend so I can run a server.

And here is my question: What if your running a Dreamcast server of Quake 3 and playing on your PC is the only option, but you control the server? I could play on my old crummy Celeron 566MHz and use the Pentium 4 as the server.......

EDIT: I'm trying to think about a name for the server. Something like 'Dreamcast Haven' or OnlineConsoles related, such as '[oc]Mytho's Q3 Dreamcast Server'.

-Mytho

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:18 am
quote : #5
Playing from your PC isn't dreamcast online gaming...now is it.
Posted:
Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:00 pm
quote : #6
In response to LN, I said I would prefer, but wouldn't go crazy and kick somebody if the showed up with a BBA. To be honest, the more people playing in general the better, and I don't want to exclude any DC players based solely on their hardware setup. Also, I am trying to work out a MOTD string that works, I'll give you a holler if I have any success.

As for MasterChief, you'll probably hand me my head. I'm not very good yet.

As for Mytho, if you were playing on a PC, even on a Celeron 566MHz (My 366 with 128MB and an 8MB -integrated- STB card runs Quake III at a fluid framerate {30-40fps, depending on the map} at 800x600 with moderate effects on) you already have the deck stacked towards you. Couple that with the fact that you would be on a network with your server, and your miniscule ping and smooth framerate would lead you to an extreme advantage against any of the DC players.

"[oc]Mytho's Q3 Dreamcast Server" sounds like a cool name. I think we should add an "[oc]" tag to the dedicated Linux machines that Nikon is cooking up, and any that members of this site set up themselves. Maybe putting the URL in the motd (once we find the right config command, haha) will generate some interest in the site from other DC Q3 players.

If you guys like the idea, I'll put an [oc] tag in mine.

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:30 pm
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:

But it's my only option of playing and I don't intend on playing that much, maybe for a round here or there, or to test something out.. Wink

I'm sorry I don't have the Dreamcast version, but perhaps there are other games I want to get first.

-Mytho

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:58 pm
quote : #8
Sorry, but
Quote:
It's going to be kinda hard to 'mediate' who logs on to play on your server. keyboard + mouse + dialup only cuts out a lot of people, especially people here at the site. I know a lot of people here use controllers they don't have a mouse. Also I have a BBA.

I think we had a misunderstanding. I was saying that I would prefer people who were using the controller, not people who were using the mouse and keyboard. I doesn't matter anyway, because as I said, I won't be excluding an DC players based on their hardware.

On a side note, set g_motd "Insert MOTD here" does not work.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:12 pm
quote : #9
TheMytho wrote:
lordnikon wrote:

But it's my only option of playing and I don't intend on playing that much, maybe for a round here or there, or to test something out.. :wink:

I'm sorry I don't have the Dreamcast version, but perhaps there are other games I want to get first.

-Mytho

Notice this site isn't a general Quake 3 website. Its hardware specific. This site covers online gaming from the SEGA DREAMCAST. Plus the more people that cop out and start playing from the PC means, everyone will soon be playing from the PC...then its not evenQuake 3 on the DC anymore....then its PC might as well just shutdown allt he servers and just play all the PC servers and Team Arena and shit.

I know its not always easy, but playing using Dreamcast hardware should be expected to interact at this site.

Posted Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:13 pm:

Einhander wrote:
On a side note, set g_motd "Insert MOTD here" does not work.

Yea i was messing with it last night as well. It wasn't working for me either. Anyone know what the correct motd variable is?
Posted:
Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:57 pm
quote : #10
lordnikon wrote:
Notice this site isn't a general Quake 3 website. Its hardware specific. This site covers online gaming from the SEGA DREAMCAST. Plus the more people that cop out and start playing from the PC means, everyone will soon be playing from the PC...then its not evenQuake 3 on the DC anymore....then its PC might as well just shutdown allt he servers and just play all the PC servers and Team Arena and shit.

I understand this, agree with you and I'm not trying to argue. What I would do is just ask if everything is cool and working well. If I implemented a COSMETIC MOD like more gibs for example, a poll would show up asking if people liked it. I wouldn't just go in and start fragging DC players for no reason at all. I'd make an announcement ahead of time if I absolutely needed to be spawned to check something out. Note I didn't say play. PC players are going to get kicked out of my server if they appear.

These are MY Guidelines:

1. ABSOLUTELY NO PC PLAYERS!.
2. BE KIND TO YOUR FELLOW GAMER.
3. I WILL NOT HOST ANY GAMEPLAY MODS. NORMAL GAMES ONLY. POSSIBLY COSMETIC MODS.

-Mytho

Last edited by TheMytho on Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tao
rank 15
Posted:
Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:14 pm
quote : #11
About the message of the day; try:

g_motd "{your message}"

for each individual message of the day. Report back and tell me if it works, I very well could be mistaken.
I EDITED this POST; please try with the NEW codes. (hehe, sorry, just trying to get your attention)

Last edited by Tao on Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:50 pm
quote : #12
I cound't get it to work using those strings.

I've sent out a few E-Mails to some clans with servers, they might be able to ehlp.

Posted Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:05 pm:

seta g_motd "Welcome to Einhander's DC-Only. No PC players, please."

Adds the command to the Quake3.cfg, but not ffa.cfg, and I have not been able to test it yet. Now with the above code, are you saying to include the brackets? Like so:

set g_motd "{Welcome to Einhander's DC-Only. No PC players, please.}" ?