Page 1 of 1
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:02 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well I am now going to install linux on a spare machine here. I am going to work on getting a dreamcast Q3 server running on linux. Why? because you can't run dedicated servers effectivly in a dedicated machine in windows. Meaning, where we have servers....at the datacenter....we use linux.

Also running an entire machine...just to run a single process in windows is so wasteful.

With linux we can run multiple servers off the same machine. We are hoping to get a minimum of 4 Q3 servers running off a single machine. I just have to get the step to step process for the server admin(drfeelgood) to help with this. he is realy busy and doesn't have time to mess with it himself. SO I will be getting the basics worked out first, then we'll take it from there.

Basically we hope to soon have in the US server listing:

OnlineConsoles.com S1
OnlineConsoles.com S2
OnlineConsoles.com S3
OnlineConsoles.com S4

Perminant dedicated servers with no mods. Just str8 gameplay. Probobly will start off with 3 DM servers and 1 CTF server.

Ok, i'm about to jump into a sea of technological hell. Wish me luck.

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Posted:
Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:23 am
quote : #2
As Lord Nikon stood tall upon the deck of his ship, The Fragger, gazing across the glistening sea of impending technological terror, as the wind filled the sails and carried him briskly into the sunset, he realized he had forgotten two essential components to his survival: a life raft and Diet Dr. Pepper.
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:33 am
quote : #3
HAHAHAH actually I could build a raft out of all the empty cans on my desk right now LOL

Posted Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:55 am:

Ok, so....right now I am feeling a serious sense of accomplishment. After first attempting to get a DC Q3 server running on windows...which I was easily able to do as well as form the handy refined tutorial here on the site.....

The next step was taking this to linux. Note: I am not a savey linux user, I really have never run the OS or various distributions. I have dabbled in redhat a little. Other than this my experience was limited.

So I decided to install and run...Slackware....not really a user friendly OS however one of the most efficient. Plus I didn't have a linux version of Quake 3. So I had to track down some tutorials on how to install it off the windows CD.

Well to make a long story short....I figured it out, and now have running locally on my LAN a fully functional linux dreamcast quake 3 server.

So you know what this means. YES thats right people. As soon as possible we will be putting up as many OnlineConsoles official Quake 3 Dreamcast servers as we can muster.
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:09 pm
quote : #4
Out of curiosity, what kind of network load is a DC Quake III server with four players on a broadband connection, anyway? Does it cut hardcore into your normal internet browsing, or is it barely noticible? With only four players, I can't see how it would be a huge impact, but I figured it would be better to ask than to find out the annoying way.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:56 pm
quote : #5
Well your looking at about 20 kb/s of your bandwidth for 1 server either up or down. You figure about 4 users using about 5 kb/s. So really its not going to affect your downstream at ALL. Only your upstream. You'll have plenty of downstream left over.

Most people don't have more than 30 kb/s or so...if you do have more than that your very lucky. I personally have 40kb/s steady....never changes.

Best thing is to test your line at http://www.dslreports.com/stest

It will tell you in kbits....basically just divide it by 8 to find how much it would be in kbytes.

So like if it says '256 kbit upstream' divide that by 8....to get how much it would be in kb/s. 256/8 = 32kb/s
Posted:
Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:36 pm
quote : #6
ok lordnikon,i got your post in my forum and i have put a list of all the command you need there,i would have posted them here but its quite alot of text and i didnt really want to waist a whole page here just on commands. Idea anyways i will but some more stuff up on there like how to make quick startup files for your server etc.. Wink
Posted:
Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:30 am
quote : #7
Yea I have some rather basic sets pre-made as you can see in the windows server setup guide here on the site. Just looking to further refine them a bit, and I think I need to fix a few things in them as well. Thanx for prompt reply on posting that list. I appreciate it.