1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:45 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
This news has nothing to do with UT's online capabilities. It is a news post I felt should be posted to enhance offline gameplay. Many of you are aware with Unreal Tournament in offline mode, to play matches you use the Practice feature. This part of the game has a few flaws from its once online counterpart that tend to disrupt the gameplay. In practice mode, unlike career mode, your name is shown based on what bot character you chose as your own. I have a hard time picking out what my highscore is in a match when my name is shown as Brock.

Another major major major flaw in practice mode is. There's NO map rotation. The game goes right back to the main menu after the match is over. This really disrupts the flow of gameplay as well.

For the past week or so I have been awol, not really gaming that much, but researching like crazy. Well after drudging up some information and learning more about the PC version of UT's server commands, I began testing them on the DC version. After hours of troubleshooting here is what I came up with thus far:

Now I will be making an official guide for these commands, simply because they emulate the online play more accuratly in offline mode. Not only in bot play, but also split screen multiplayer.

To execute these commands you will need a keyboard. You will need to hit the T key to type a chat sentance. You should now see >Say. Hit the Esc key but very quickly hit the spacebar immedatly after. Now you should be left with just >. This will now allow you to enter the following commands to make your gaming experience much much better in offline mode, a bit more like the flow of online play.

Entering RECONNECT will restart the same match you just played. Now instead of having to go back to the main menu and re-enter all the settings you can just type in this command at the end of the match.

Using SETNAME <newname>, newname being whatever your new name will be, will set your characters name. Placing this in a game in offline split screen is very usefull, also especially in a game where you will be using the RECONNECT command to play the same map over and over.

Ok, suprise time! :D Just the other day I was playing offline Instagib on map Curse with 10 bots and it was great. Wait....did I just say.....10 bots? "but nikon the game only supports 8 players???" Well with the following commands you can add bots to an ongoing practice game at will!

ADDBOTS <number>

Just enter the number of bots and thats how many will be added to the game in progress. Hell you could add 50 more players if you wanted to. Warning: attempting this would be idiotic, I didn't even attempt this for fear my dreamcast would explode. Playing with 10 ongoing characters is the highest I would recommend playing with. In small maps it starts to really chew away at the framerate. However this command works great in these small maps because you can add 1 or 2 more bots into the frey in a map that has limits of 4 or 5. So you can have like 6 bots going in a map that would normally only allow 4 total in game players.

Now here is the catch, you set the game to Skilled difficulty...or even Master. These new bots you add with the ADDBOTS command, come into the game at INHUMAN difficulty level. So yea you get to add new bots to the game, however they are bots from hell!!! Hell I tell you.

Ok so lets say you add too many bots to the game, its just too laggy, well just enter this command to whipe out all the bots:

KILLPAWNS

Also if you feel you want to take some photos of your tv for a signiture or screencapture, the command PLAYERSONLY will pause everything in the game. So you can run around and watch everything frozen in time. Re-entering this command again will unpause the ingame animations again returning things to normal. (just don't unpause it with your face in front of a rocket...well if you want to, could be cool.)

There will be a more official tutorial with other positive gameplay commands. Yea yea I know there are other commands out there like in a tutorial at gamefaqs that let you fly around and also become invinsible, well that stuff is more in the realms of a cheat code. Also I have done a LOT of research, I have not seen these new commands I have posted above on any website. They could be posted somewhere else that I havn't checked. I am not claiming to have been the "grand discoveror" of these commands. I just tested them and got them working and I have never seen them on the internet in relation to the dreamcast.....anywhere at all. So regardless of wether they are brand spankin new or not, some people prolly don't know about these.

Ok so, time to break out your UT discs and check some of these out next time your feeling like a little FPS action. I always felt the bots in UT were some of the best bot A.I. in any FPS. My personal suggestion if you really wanna get that intensity factor up in DC UT. Follow a few of my pointers:

For making a game of 10 total players(1 human player and 9 bots)
-Use Large Maps, such as Curse, Stalwart XL, Barricade, and Block Party. More space means less chaotic shit happening in the same area, so less chance of framerate loss.
-Use single weapon mutators like Rocket Arena or Instagib. Using a single weapon means the game isn't having to manage 10 different weapons and all the varied item pickups.
-Pick a team based game. 5 vs 5 is less stressfull than everyone vs everyone.

If you guys feel you want to test out some more useful UT commands feel free to PM me or post them in the Lounge. I tried a lot of commands. The ones above are the only ones I got working that yielded postive game results. Well enjoy the new commands. I know I am. Being able to play 10 player Instagib in Curse with my own setname and able to reload the map over and over is quite an improvement I must say :]

Days of research pays off in the end. :D
(btw, goddamn this post is long)

Last edited by lordnikon on Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:30 am; edited 3 times in total
Posted:
Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:51 am
quote : #2
I tried the addbots in the PC version and there was a limit on how many could populate the map at one time. (Only 16 I think)

But I will break out my DC version and check this out.

-Mytho

Douglas Carroll
rank 5
Posted:
Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:14 am
quote : #3
Sounds great, when do you plan on having the guide online for download?

Douglas

Smile

frokid879
rank 21
Posted:
Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:14 am
quote : #4
man i sold my ut when it went offline

MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:05 pm
quote : #5
sweet. gotta break put my dc and give um a go.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:52 am
quote : #6
Yea I would have to say my favorite feature so far is that RECONNECT feature. Seriously. Being able to have an instant rematch makes it so well worth utilizing. I hated having to go back to the main menu and set up a game all over again.

Posted Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:53 am:

Oh btw, if anyone finds out a way to change the frag count in the game to a higher frag count, some sort of command, please post it. I am dying to get the frag count above 40. Team Death match games with 10 players are just so short when you have a cap of 40 frags.

So heads up, anyone looking to find a crucial command....frag count frag count(please only post commands you have verified yourself to work.)
Posted:
Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:39 pm
quote : #7
Hey, I just tried doing this. The SETNAME feature worked fine for me. When I tried the ADDBOT thing all it did was lower the framerate. I didn't notice a different amount of characters. Do I have to set the amount of characters to MAX in order to add MORE bots?
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:14 pm
quote : #8
How many bots did you add? How many were total in the game? Its recommended you never add more than 2 extra bots to any specific map. That is....2 more bots than the maps limit. if you add 8 bots to a map that has a limit of 4, the map will most definatly slow to a crawl as far as framerate.

Try map Curse, with the defualt 7 bots. So it would then be, you and 7bots as defualt settings. Then add 2 more bots to make it a total of 10 in game players.
Posted:
Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:53 am
quote : #9
Nikon, I tried the commands in Stawart XL*, I put 9 bots at first and tried it, but all it did was lower the framerate. I then tried it again with 3 bots, and nothing happend. I'll try again in Curse to see if that works. So that means that the most recommended number of players on any map is 10 correct?
rank 28
Posted:
Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:01 pm
quote : #10
Hokay. Try behindview 1 for a third-person view. showall brings up symbols like apples, torches, and eagles. I believe it is for programming purposes. Also, I typed in ADDBOTS 50 and nothing happened. Max is 10 players.

-Mytho

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:13 pm
quote : #11
wha! nice 1 mytho!!!!! :D Does the 3rd person view play with a crosshair? Or none? Man nice find!
Posted:
Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:10 pm
quote : #12
Here is another one: fov (number here)

This changes your viewing area. Experiment around with this.

-Mytho

awesomesonicfan!
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:22 am
quote : #13
LOL it will not crash!! I can add 150 bots to some levels!!

heh most of the commands and others have been on gamewinners.com for ages...meh its all cool XD
Posted:
Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:42 am
quote : #14
I remember one code that put fruits all over the level, they would float in there air as you played, like that one Very Happy

awesomesonicfan!
rank 1
Posted:
Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:55 am
quote : #15
That would be awesome if you could find out!