lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:48 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Blast wrote:
As I mentioned in another thread I already tried this multiple times with no positive result. If anyoneelse has had any luck with this please inform so I can figure out what Im doing wrong. Personaly I think it is now impossible to connect to any Q3 servers via Pal Q3. As I also said before if this is true then I think it should have a news story or at least sticky thread.

Well done with the OC servers Lord. I have yet to venture on but will do soon, especialy as its running standard games. Nice work.

Laters

If this is the case, and the PAl version is verified to not work, then I guess PAL users will have to purchase a US copy of Quake 3. I can already guarantee the US version has no ties to sega, or seganet, or anything that would ever cause it to cease functioning.

As of right now Quake 3 Arena US version on dreamcast is working without any connection to a prior sega service. The sega net master server is now down. It now queries master.quake3arena.com. So if the PAL version is not working you might want to go ahead and pick up a US version of the game. You can get them for very cheap.
Posted:
Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:08 am
quote : #17
Type: Pal
Well I wish somone else would try and verify the ;connect command on a Pal version of Q3 so that we have some kind of conformation. Someone please do this. I already have NTSC copy of Q3 its been gathering dust on my front room floor for a couple of years now. Im only doing this for the bennefit of people who only have a Pal version, which must be thousands.

I just had a quick idea. If I try the ;connect command from my NTSC Q3 and it works then its obvious that Im doing that right and Pal Q3 is permanently offline. If it doesnt work for me on the NTSC version then its obvious Im doing somthing wrong and need to figure out what it is.

I'll run this test later.

Laters

Posted Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:38 pm:

Well Ive been doing more testing and am now totaly baffled. I cannot connect using the ;connect command even from the NTSC version. However I can connect online with the NTSC version by the normal method and then use ;connect to move around rooms once online. So I obviously have the command right but it just wont dial from offline on either the NTSC or Pal version. On most occasions it doesnt dial at all and on the rare occasion it does dial it freezes up the DC in like 0.23 seconds. Also sotimes it alters the ip number I enterd and changes it to ct, i.e, connecting to: CT . Some odd stuff going on and i realy cant figure it out. Anyone got any ideas let me know.

Oh BTW I already considerd putting my ISP details into both sections using dreamkey 3 in case NTSC q3 was looking in the 2nd slot, this didnt help. I checked all my isp info is correct also on Q3 itself, all good and still no connect.

Well I can still play, shame Im not having any luck helping you Pal only guys Sad

Laters

Q3DM17er
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:37 pm
quote : #18
lordnikon wrote:
Well from what I have seen the server has been packed non-stop since I put it up yesterday morning. Its been full all day today, people have just been playing and playing and play and playing.

I've been going in and out of the server the whole day, most of the time it is actually full. But I usually don't have to wait too long to get in:

Awaiting Connection... 19
<Server is full.>
Awaiting Connection... 20
<Server is full.>
Awaiting Connection... 21
<Server is full.>
Awaiting Connection... 22
Awaiting Gamestate...

My only complaint is, when I do finally get in, usually there's one to three people spectating. I'm not trying to say that players shouldn't spectate and chat at all; but that players shouldn't be spectating and chatting while the server is full. =/

-Q3DM17er

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:08 pm
quote : #19
Yea once I am able to get more servers up this week, the spectating issue and crowdedness shouldn't be that big of an issue.

Were trying to troubleshoot running multiple servers off a single installation. In Linux its a bit complicated.
Posted:
Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:17 pm
quote : #20
My only complaint is, when I do finally get in, usually there's one to three people spectating. I'm not trying to say that players shouldn't spectate and chat at all; but that players shouldn't be spectating and chatting while the server is full. =/

-Q3DM17er[/quote]

...... arent U aNAME OC?

Posted Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:17 am:

-Q3DM17er[/quote]

...... ANAMEOC?
Posted:
Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:36 am
quote : #21
lordnikon wrote:
Yea once I am able to get more servers up this week, the spectating issue and crowdedness shouldn't be that big of an issue.

Good to hear. :D

grubensau wrote:
...... arent U aNAME OC?

grubensau wrote:
...... ANAMEOC?

Yes, I've been currently using the name "a nameOC" on the server.

-Q3DM17er

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:32 pm
quote : #22
i tried yet again to get some info on q3 eu and spoke to a regular contact in sega help this is what she sent back to me

Hallo,

The Quake III servers were launched in 2000 and have been running for 4
years. In that time many thousands of people enjoyed pitting themselves
against other Dreamcast owners. However in recent months it has been noticed
that the numbers of people playing Quake III online were very low. For this
reason SEGA has taken the decision to close Quake online services for
Dreamcast in Europe.

With regards

Claudia Cunningham

what a kick in the balls huh? aah well i will just have to get a copy of the us version someday soon
Posted:
Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:37 pm
quote : #23
I got to play on 1 this morning it was great !
good job Nikon Smile
NiktheGreek
rank 6
Posted:
Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:01 pm
quote : #24
I've had no luck connecting to Quake 3 servers elsewhere with my PAL copy either. Theoretically, I suppose if we could get PAL Quake 3 to access an alternative server list somehow, it would work. However, that would likely require a cheat device of some description, which I know Nikon doesn't condone.

Bear in mind that the game was seperate from Dreamarena, as all Dreamarena games have been gone since Dreamarena departed in early 2002. Therefore, the game would likely not require Dreamarena verification in order to progress.

The only real official solution I could think of is that Sega Europe knocks up some publicly available VM file that tells the game to connect to another server list instead, but this is highly unlikely.
Posted:
Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:02 pm
quote : #25
as you said mate highly unlikely, as you can see by what she wrote back to me, they care nothing for the fate of dreamcast support and the moment it appears to be diminishing they seem eager to pull the plug at the first sign. so everyone keep playing the ones we got left!!!!
Posted:
Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:54 pm
quote : #26
lordnikon wrote:
well its official the first DEDICATED Quake 3 Arena OC server is now online. It is also running off of Linux for maximum stability. It is colocated on major bandwidth and will be up 24/7.

I am dead tired i have barely gotten any sleep in 2 days. I am going to go to sleep now.

Its in the list for US gamers, here is the IP:PORT for pal gamers if they wish to attempt to connect.

66.96.192.39:27960

Play on it, let me know how it runs, incase i need to make any modifications to the config file.

Yea hey. As you can all tell I am new here. By what do you mean list? I checked your Quake 3 IP list and i saw nothing about this under US. Uh I love my Q3 and I want to get online with it lol, so If I could just have the IP to get on with US version, then thanks. Then agian if that IP above will let me get on ahh well. Im confused. Someone help me.
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:17 pm
quote : #27
Temjin-On wrote:
lordnikon wrote:
well its official the first DEDICATED Quake 3 Arena OC server is now online. It is also running off of Linux for maximum stability. It is colocated on major bandwidth and will be up 24/7.

I am dead tired i have barely gotten any sleep in 2 days. I am going to go to sleep now.

Its in the list for US gamers, here is the IP:PORT for pal gamers if they wish to attempt to connect.

66.96.192.39:27960

Play on it, let me know how it runs, incase i need to make any modifications to the config file.

Yea hey. As you can all tell I am new here. By what do you mean list? I checked your Quake 3 IP list and i saw nothing about this under US. Uh I love my Q3 and I want to get online with it lol, so If I could just have the IP to get on with US version, then thanks. Then agian if that IP above will let me get on ahh well. Im confused. Someone help me.

Yep, that's the IP. Just make sure that your Dreamcast is setup for an internet connection (you'll need the browser disc), start up Quake, get connected, punch that IP into Quake, and you'll be there. You should note that it is definitely easier if you have a keyboard and just bring down the console with the F12 key and then type:

;connect 66.96.192.39:27960

Enjoy.
Temjin-On
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:00 pm
quote : #28
That was strange. I got on and noone was on and I understand that. What I dont get is the funky lag. I was going backwards and wierd ways and stuff. This probably cant be helped. But is there a time of day when lots of people are on?
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:08 am
quote : #29
Type: PAL
I have played today with some people at the Onlineconsoles server and the ping was good for most of the time (green), sometimes the lag increased a lot (brown in the speed connection) but ok. It has been very nice to play again some classic Quake 3 deathmatch without mods.

It seems the euro servers are closed? That's bad Sad I have the PAL version too but can't check, I can only connect online with the BBA.