Page 4 of 6
martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:54 am
quote : #46
profile : pm
lordnikon wrote:
So Sega of Europe does manage the server, they just don't know it. Or someone there finally found out it was still on and killed the server....or the server freaked out and needs to be rebooted.

The terrible thing is, it's most likely kind of like that. Rolling Eyes It's just one small machine in the corner of a room, or one small program being run on a machine that doesn't really care.

It's so minor to them, but so major to those people that are still firing up their Dreamcasts at night for a little online mayhem.
InternetAddict
unknown
Posted:
Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:14 pm
quote : #47
so I take it the server never came back Sad

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:34 pm
quote : #48
Type: Pal
lordnikon wrote:
OK guess what here is the master server that worms connects to:

master.worms.dream-key.com

So Sega of Europe does manage the server, they just don't know it. Or someone there finally found out it was still on and killed the server....or the server freaked out and needs to be rebooted.

Just looking at some of the posts here and I think this is where the main confusion is comming. People are mailing sega.com which is sega america not sega europe, so sega.com deny they run the server because they dont and to be honest sega america and sega europe havent an f-ing clue what each other is doing. Sega europe and sega america seem to live by a totaly different set of rules to each other and I guess dont interact much at all. The difference between sega europe and sega ameica can be seen just by the differences in games and server closures, they act like two seperate companies.

Thnks for finding that out Lordnikon. Just cus theserver has Dream-key in the name does that mean its a sega euro server?. Only thing that makes meask is the PC and DC server situtation?. Would titus or team 17 farm the PC and DC servers out to different companies or is PC worms also offline?.

Laters

DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:09 pm
quote : #49
no I contacted Sega of Europe, Sega of America is completely use less for anything with the Dreamcast and I don't even waste my time

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:12 pm
quote : #50
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well wanna know something? this theory might completly rack all your brains. And give you nightmares.

The worms world party server might still be online. The problem is, the dream-key master server address just might have been a redirect. Meaning master.worms.dream-key.com might have just been a redirect URL, redirecting to another domain/ip. The master domain at dream-key might have been taken down....eliminating the middleman in the process.....thus not allowing WWP on the DC to find the actual server.

This could be why sega is saying they don't run the server. Which would mean they accidently took down the master.worms.dream-key.com domain.

But this is just speculative theory on my part.
Posted:
Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:04 am
quote : #51
so...... it is still offline Rolling Eyes ????

BrockStrongo
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:15 am
quote : #52
Hmmmm i wonder,

if nikon is right, then i wonder if there is anyway to connect directly to the server?

F355 and Starlancer reports Smile
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:19 pm
quote : #53
Type: NTSC-U/C
But there is no way of knowing where that server was :[ No way of tracking down the server's address. Since its only place was in the subdomain info on the dream-key server.

If that theory would be true.

For the moment I am going to deem worms world party now officially offline. Will be making a news post about this today.
Posted:
Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:34 pm
quote : #54
interesting idea Lord well here it the complete e-mail chain I have gotten from Team 17 ... I think you may be correct, damn Sega...

Hi,
We never had control of the Dreamcast version of the WWP servers, if they are not working correctly then this means that SEGA may have taken them offline, due to the Dreamcast format no longer being supported by any party. As far as we are aware they were still running and have not been told of their deactivation, but this may have been the case as SEGA were the managers of the servers.

Apologies
team17 support

At 17:03 02/04/2004 -0500, you wrote:

Thats funny because Sega of Europe told me that they didn't run them, so who does?
----- Original Message -----
To: SGoodnight
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2004 6:06 AM
Subject: Re: WWP

Please contact SEGA directly as they host /maintain Worms Dreamcast servers.

Regards,
Team17 TS

At 00:35 02/04/2004 -0500, you wrote:
I play the Dreamcast version online all the time, the servers have been down for a few days now, will they be back soon? Whats wrong with them? I love playing this game online and would be crushed if Team 17 was taking it offline.

Im going to be contacting Sega lord about the IP redirecting thing ... I think that may be it

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:53 am
quote : #55
Type: Pal
I think Lordnikon is spot on on the redirect thing. Also I think this is why Pal Q3 doesnt work online anymore. Maybe you should check where Pal Q3 goes first?. When you connected to Pal Q3 you always had to enter a password, not being sure what this password was I always put in my old Dreamarena one. Maybe the server where you enterd the Pal Q3 passord too is the same Server WWP redirects from.

Also when I conntacted Sega europe by phone the Customer service rep there said I needed to contact Titus not team 17. It seems impossible to contact Titus by phone ( they are french anyway right? ) all the customer services for Titus seems to be handled by Avalon. You can get a phone number for Avalon in england at http://www.vie.co.uk or you can get a french number for Avalon by going tothe Titus website and clicking the contact button. I mailed Titus about 5 days ago and got a notification of reciept. I am still waiting for the promptreply Smile lol.

Personaly I think Titus host the server the guy at Avalon did say they hosted it to me even if he wasent that convincing hes still the only person to date to say they hosted it.

Laters

JasonX
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:55 am
quote : #56
keep trying to contact them Very Happy
good work
banned!
Posted:
Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:10 am
quote : #57
Well there is in plain words contact Titus! which i will in about 10 seconds

"Dear Customer,
Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately Team 17 have given you incorrect information. Sega have never been responsible for the Worms World Party servers, although the game was released on our console. WWP was published by Titus, and we believe that they ran/run the servers. We would advise contacting them for further assistance in this matter. We have found a customer service contact webpage. We hope this helps you: http://www.titus-interactive.com/index.php?lang=en&pg=support

We are sorry that we cannot assist you further in this regard.

Kind regards

James Stewart
SEGA Customer Service
info@segahelp.com <mailto:info@segahelp.com>
Internet help line 09066 544 544 (premium rate)
All other enquiries 08456 090 090 (local call rate)
http://www.sega-europe.com
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 09 April 2004 03:39
To: Info@Segahelp.com
Subject: Worms World Party

Team 17's has contacted me giving me the info that Sega was the managers for the servers. A friend of mine noticed that is the DC dials to master.worms.dream-key.com and if Sega of Europe doesn't run them that would mean that connecting to it redirects you to the server, so if Sega took this down then we would not be able to contect to the servers. Is this the case? Team 17 told me "As far as we are aware they were still running and have not been told of their deactivation" so if they are online and this has been removed we wouldn't be able to connect to the servers... so was it?"

JasonX
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:28 am
quote : #58
using the address given in your message i have sent this message to them,
hello,
my name is jason and i am writing to you concering the worms world party dreamcast server. I have been informrd by both sega europe and team 17 that you had control over the server and i am writing to find out why you have taken it down? I am apart of a large dreamcast online community and we are baffled at your decision to shut down the server for such a popular game.
Any information you can give me will be appreciated,
yours in waiting,
jason
waiting for reply Very Happy
banned!
Posted:
Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:31 am
quote : #59
great, I contacted them too ... with so much interest they can't dodge our questions everyone mass e-mail!!!!!! it will show people our still interested in the game and server which more then likly they ran.

JasonX
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:35 am
quote : #60
thats the plan, if lots of people on the site contact them they will see how popular the server was and hopefully start running it again :D

Posted Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:44 am:

they said a reply would be promp Confused have ypou recieved one yet m8 Question