Page 1 of 1
Nico0020
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:49 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U
ive heard many different things. I am about to get dsl at my household, in about a week. I want to get a BBA but i need to know 3 things. 1.my DSL ISP is gonna be SBC, is dreamcast compatable with SBC? 2. on the site it says PSOv2 is compatable with BB, will it work it my BBA, or is the only way to get DSL speed is hooking my DC up to my computer? 3. Also is there anything special i have to do to get online with a BBA and my new DSL ISP?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:57 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
1.my DSL ISP is gonna be SBC, is dreamcast compatable with SBC?
Yea its probobly compatible. Only company I think anyone ever has trouble with is AOL, all others work, just many have different configuration setups sometimes.

You should get a router, seriously. Not only is it more secure, but also leaves you an always on connection. Many DSL providers require you to 'log on' via connection software or other on your PC. Having a router would mean you could just jack anything into the router and it would work insantly. Router creates a local network and feeds bandwidth to any peripheral attatched to the router. So your DC and your PC could be jacked in at the same time, plus any other computers that are in your household.

Having to constantly unplug your PC form the net, then plug in dreamcast, is a chore. Plus configuring the dreamcast can get tricky, especially if you have an IP address that changes all the time.

So many people see Router's as "extra optional hardware". Bad idea, routers should be advised by high speed internet service providers.

2. on the site it says PSOv2 is compatable with BB, will it work it my BBA, or is the only way to get DSL speed is hooking my DC up to my computer?
The dreamcast BBA is completly compatible with both PSOv1 and PSOv2. You coudl hook your DC up to your computer with the PC having 2 NIC's installed, or have it going through a router/hub/switch or have it directly logging on through the DSL modem.

3. Also is there anything special i have to do to get online with a BBA and my new DSL ISP?
Ys there is always something special because every high speed internet provider seems to be different in someway or another. You should see the playstation.com forums and in the network adaptor forum. So many posts, nobody ever gets anything to work and are always confused. Because everyone has a different router and different internet service providers.
---
Mybest advice is to get a router, then you really don't have to configure anything for the dreamcast or other consoles as well. Basically just set the IP's to 0.0.0.0 and clear all other info and your set usually. Sometimes, if the internet connection already is an always on connection, and doesn't require logging in, a HUB/Switch works also, and is cheaper than a router.

If your not to network savey i advise getting a linksys router, they are a bit more user friendly.
Posted:
Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:17 pm
quote : #3
Ben sorry for my question..... but what the hell is a router. My BBA is connect 2 the main DSL Box which I got from mz provider, but Im sure it isnt a router.

My BBA works in quake fine, coz I can set the PPPOPE settings easly in game.... but in PSO I got the follow message... DHCP server cant found u internetprovider.... Im sure I have 2 set the PPPOPE into the international memory - but how...? I own non software 2 controll the BBA (Dreampassport use only static IPs but I havent that...) So what can I do.... when I buy this router I havent 2 config it???

Lunar Eclipse
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:15 pm
quote : #4
A router divides the internet signal between multiple computers but "tricks" the incoming signal into thinking that it is only being used for one PC.
Posted:
Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:19 pm
quote : #5
Networking 101:

A router is a seperate device that hooks up between your DSL modem to your computer. It usually looks just like a network hub and has 2 or more network jacks in the back that use network cable that resembles thick phone line with slightly bigger jacks and connectors. You connect your dsl modem to the phone jack. Run your cable from the DSL modem out to the router input jack. Then take another cable and run it from one of the outputs on the router to your network card on your pc. The router basically acts as the connection host and you can hook up as many computers or video game consoles to it as long as you have an open output jack to plug into. All you would do was hook the network cable from your BBA into an open out jack on the router.
The router assigns each device an IP address and devides the bandwidth amongst all the devices but to your service provider it looks like just one computer is online.
And linksys routers are the best for the money. Cheap and reliable.
Posted:
Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:27 pm
quote : #6
Just thought I'd share my 2 cents... I share my dsl with the dreamcast through a modem to modem connection. Don't get pure broadband speed, but you do get a solid 33.3k connection which is a heck of a lot better than 56k over the phone system. You can do this setup with linux and windows both, works great Smile Requires some basic networking knowledge however. Here's a nice link to get you setup using windows:
http://consolevision.com/members/mterlouw/

Works great in my opinion, not to mention broadband isn't required for any dreamcast games and with this setup you have more than enough bandwidth for pso Smile

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:34 pm
quote : #7
TEAM>>>>>> PLZ try 2 understand. I dont own any PC.... only my DC and BBA.... so what should I do 2 join PSO with BBA.... The message is: DHCP server cant find internetprovider.... I know I have 2 set it in game but how??? All I got from my provider is a username a password and a realm??? It works in quake, but not in Outtrigger or PSO. What should i set in OT? Primary DNS? IP Adress? Gateway??? Haehhhh??? - whats that......

Peace
Grube

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:03 am
quote : #8
Type: NTSC-U/C
This is why I emplore users to get routers. This is where it becaomse tricky. When you don't havea router you have to configure whatever device to the current connection entering in all the information, it can get very tricky, or not even work at all. Purchasing a router means it would create an open DHCP server environment for your dreamcast. All you would have to do is put 0.0.0.0 in the IP fields and turn it on, thats all you would have to do for all your consoles or anything. Instant connection.

Purchasing a router would mean a greater chance of support for your broadband provider, tutorials on the internet and help pages. Though seeing as you don't have a PC means you might need to browse via dialup or head over to a friends place.

The router should be able to be configured from the dreamcast browser if the router configuration screen is compatible with the dreamcast browser.

If you can get a router working with your broadband provider, getting Dreamcast working with your router is 1,000 times easier than getting your DC working with your service provider.