Page Location: Home > Archive - News > Topic
Previous  1, 2
DRBagabundo
rank 15
Posted:
Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:31 am
quote : #16
profile : pm
I don't get what I'm doing wrong. I'm doing exactly what it says to do and I see no extra bots. I just notice that the framerate drops.
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:09 pm
quote : #17
Type: NTSC-U/C
DRBagabundo wrote:
I don't get what I'm doing wrong. I'm doing exactly what it says to do and I see no extra bots. I just notice that the framerate drops.

When you die, and the scores screen comes up.....are there more players? Should be more names in the list. Hmmm strange that your having issues getting it to work.
Posted:
Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:43 pm
quote : #18
Nope, the same amount of names show up. The SETNAME feature works, but the ADDBOT crap doesn't...
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:14 pm
quote : #19
Yo, you guys rock. As you guys may know from my threads, I'm an 'ol online dreamcast gamer that just got another dreamcast for the first time in about a year. I was pretty heart broken playin UT offline today (I play career only, and inhuman AI only). Well, besides my friends coming over to play split screen, now I'll have these new commands to work with, nice find and efforts everyone.

To that dude having trouble getting the command ADDBOTS <value> to work... try this

1) Start a game with 1 or no bots in a very small map (IDK which ones you have unlocked so I can't make any suggestions).

2) Add 2 or 3 bots.

Check the score list... see if there's an addition to the amount of in-game players listed... also you should hear alot of spawning right as you hit enter after putting in the command.

Alright guys... here's what I know (and you all might know 'em as well).

If you're playing split screen with a few buds (or if you're playing fullscreen vs. the AI and you're criticaally insane), type

set input <disired key> say <message>

... it can be pretty useful for playfully taunting a friend without them knowing what you're doing or how you're doing it.

If you really wanna kick some ass, and if you got a mouse and keyboard (and perferably if you're good at Q3A), type

set input autoaim 1

... autoaim will now be activated while the mouse is plugged in to your dreamcast (by default it is automatically turned off).

Posted Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:07 pm:

TheMytho wrote:
Hokay. Try behindview 1 for a third-person view. showall brings up symbols like apples, torches, and eagles. I believe it is for programming purposes. Also, I typed in ADDBOTS 50 and nothing happened. Max is 10 players.

-Mytho

You rock for pointing out the 3rd person view command... but lemme make a few suggestions:

Since the First Person View is restored everytime you die while using behindview 1... type:

set input <desired key> behindview 1

also... if you screw around with fov to adjust the 3rd-person camera, and you find a good number [I suggest values between 80-115... otherwise mostly all you will see is your player's ass (a lower value) or to the opposite; if the camera gets to far away (a higher value), the camera will become VERY fisheyed... it sucks horribly) then type:

set input <desired key> fov <value>

*I suggest making the fov input command key very close if not right next to the input key mapped to behindview 1. Also, if you really want to use the 3rd person camera angle (I know I do... the framerate is smoother and I can see around corners), and if you don't use the mouse and keyboard... make the disired key(s) like space, or enter (etc.)... a key you can just reach right over and tap/smack once you respawn (and this usually works out ok if you're in a bigger map with more time to think).

Also the last thing i wanted to point out:

The set amount of bots that can be added to a server using the ADDBOTS <value> command CAN be set higher then "10".. ALSO... the framerate is STILL workable with a higher number then 10.
Like Nikon said, you can set the number up to some absurd (awsome) number. I know this because I added 15 bots to an empty game in Morphieus (and yes... that's as small as it gets). The framerate downgraded a TINY bit, but christ c'mon it's UT... the framerate sucks at points, that's the games downside. Also, i stared at the score screen that only displayed (yes) 10 players... but i watched the default taunting above and names popped up that weren't displayed on the scoreboardt =D ... the list simply runs out of room, that's why only 10 names are displayed.

Well, I hope I helped =). I know that now i won't feel so bad playing UT offline by myself anymore (especially once I unlock all the maps again). I'ma set up some crazy 20 on 20 low-grav plasma arena in Face with the new little 3rd person camera angle thing enabled =D.
Posted:
Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:09 pm
quote : #20
Hey, i know what you are doing wrong. Type it like this:
addbots 2
Dont put the greater than/less than symbols in and make sure to put a space between the word addbots and the number.

BTW, put it in 3rd person and then press J on the keyboard and you character will wave.
rank 41
Posted:
Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:03 am
quote : #21
just ran into this. this news is awesome. i haven't found ne faqs on this online, can someone make an online faq/guide with all the entries we know? ahh, sweet, research always pays off. Very Happy
rank 1
Posted:
Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:47 pm
quote : #22
awesome find guys. im gunna buy ut again with my next pay.i cant wait to try 8 0n 8 ctf. does the addbot command work for multiplayer splitscreen games?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:20 am
quote : #23
juan1984 wrote:
awesome find guys. im gunna buy ut again with my next pay.i cant wait to try 8 0n 8 ctf. does the addbot command work for multiplayer splitscreen games?

I really need to stress that adding more bots drops game performance and framerate. You "can" add more bots to the game, however it negatively effects game performance. For optimal performance I recommend just using 3 bots for most maps, to match the player counts of Quake3 and Outtrigger. I'm working on more in depth guides to enhance the UT experience for offline gameplay.

For intance I have been working on a map rating system showing which maps have the best framerate, and which maps can have their player counts maxed out with little to no framerate loss.

Adding tons of bots in offline multiplayer is not really recommended, as the framerate drops enough as it is having 2 people playing on the same screen, let alone 4 during full human matches.

Feel free to do some tinkering yourself. Using certain mods, with a high player count could keep the framerate more stable. Weapons like the rocket launcher, ripper, and flak cannon all send tons of particles all over the map dropping the framerate. So playing a high bot count game, in insta-gib, or shock rifle arena might be a good idea. This is just one of the many things I still have yet to test and put through its paces.

The RECONNECT command is the most usefull one, allowing you to do a rematch, without having to headback to the start menu. This is especially good for when your are playing splitscreen.

BTW: Not mentioned in this thread, or in the guide on the site is the framerate command. Enter "SUCK" (without quotations). It will display the games framerate. This will help you to optimize your performance if you plan to do some experimenting of your own.

I will have more guides very soon regarding UT and various things you can do to get the most out of the DC UT experience.
Posted:
Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:56 am
quote : #24
lol if i really tried... i could do something like this for science fair... lol