Topic: Psyvariar 2 Questions.....

Page 1 of 1
Technofungk
rank 4
Posted:
Wed May 12, 2004 8:56 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Well, after a long wait, my local import shop finally received PSYVARIAR 2. Of course, I promptly purchased it, eagerly brought the game home and popped it into my Dreamcast. What did I get?

Awesome graphics.

Intense action!

Great sound effects.

Out-of-this-world explosions!

In fact, I was up most of the night playing this high-energy shooter!

Now basically I'm pleased with the game (although it is quite short). However, I do have a burning question:

WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH THE "BUZZ TYPE" ROBOT SUIT THAT CAN BE SELECTED?

If I choose the "Shooter Type" (girl) robot suit, the game basically plays like a standard vertical shooter .... albeit a good vertical shooter (power-up shots, super bomb etc.). However, If I choose the "Buzz Type" (guy) robot suit, everythng seems to change .... for the worst! The shots fire slower, they don't power up, and your super bomb isn't super at all! In fact, the buzz-type bomb doesn't kill ANYTHING on the screen, not even the enemy shots! Sad

I guess I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong with the Buzz-Suit. I assume that the instruction manual explains how to properly use the "Buzz-Type suit", but since I can't read Japanese the manual won't help.

I believe that a few people here own Psyvariar 2, and have owned it for a while. Therefore I humbly ask for help from all experienced Psyvariar pilots.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

I eagerly await your answers.

Technofungk
Posted:
Wed May 12, 2004 9:18 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Ehhh crap, wait for Kontact to come across this thread. He knows more about Psyvariar's technical aspects than I. Or possibly someone else can answer :]

I have Psyvariar 2 and Castle of Shikigami 2 laying around but, I'm still hooked on Border Down like a newborn to the teet (gotta love my choice of words there huh lol). So I have to pry myself away from Border Down to fully scope out Psyvariar2 and Castle of Shiki 2.

From what I played so far in Psyvariar 2, I love the game, the learning curve is really high though.
Posted:
Wed May 12, 2004 9:47 am
quote : #3
Yes, I have Border Down also. That game is AWESOME without a doubt!

In fact, I secretly consider it to be the side-scrolling version of Ikaruga Wink

Still, I do enjoy Psyvariar 2. The graphics and special effects simply rock! However, you are right about one thing .... it has a steep learning curve.

I really hope I can get some answers to my question about that darn "Buzz-Type" robot suit. That thing is driving me CRAZY!

Technofungk
Posted:
Wed May 12, 2004 11:42 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Eh, Border Down was ok. The music wasn't that memorable to me and I didn't like how you came back randomly in the level if you were shot.

Psyvariar 2 is incredible. Everything about that is comprised of high-quality elements. Wish it came out for GameCube in the U.S.A. (Ikaruga sold pretty well) Very Happy

-Mytho

StatusJones
rank 1
Posted:
Wed May 12, 2004 4:54 pm
quote : #5
with the buzz type, you have to get your ship really close to the enemy fire so it 'buzzes' you - then your ship powers up, it's a pretty cool idea, i just suck at it big time

icepick
rank 13
Posted:
Thu May 13, 2004 12:58 am
quote : #6
StatusJones wrote:
with the buzz type, you have to get your ship really close to the enemy fire so it 'buzzes' you - then your ship powers up, it's a pretty cool idea, i just suck at it big time

I know what you mean... The game seems so awesome, and I'm just so... not good at it! Laughing

I've heard, though, Technofungk, that "buzzing" enemies and their projectiles will (other than increasing your points) fill up a meter that maxes out and... does something. It affects the two pilots' MDSes differently, although I'm not particularly clear on any of this... I think that when the meter fills up, your MDS is invincible for a period, and you're able to simply fly into bullets and enemies (thus increasing the buzz meter some more, while grazing the bullets and destroying the enemies), but timing is very important. I think that I read somewhere that one of the pilots has an effect that doesn't last as long, has a shorter window, but more firepower upgrades... whereas the other has a longer effect window, wider range, but somewhat more lackluster artillery.

I'm really not sure, though, so you'll of course want to wait for this upcoming Psyvariar wizard, as I'm going to do. Wink

But, in the meantime, I thought that you could do as I've been doing... Filling up the meter almost full-way, and then careening into strings of enemies like a madman. Cool
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Thu May 13, 2004 2:16 pm
quote : #7
i was told that one of the keys to psyvariar is that you can only be killed by head on shots, so if you are spinning left to right and the enemie shoots from the side, you dont die. the buzz meter builds up a charge which i didnt find too usefull, it kinda discharges over a not to big area and supposedly kills enemies, but it doesnt work well for me and i cant get by the 3rd level boss.
Posted:
Thu May 13, 2004 2:44 pm
quote : #8
ultrapro wrote:
the buzz meter builds up a charge which i didnt find too usefull, it kinda discharges over a not to big area and supposedly kills enemies, but it doesnt work well for me and i cant get by the 3rd level boss.

Which character are you playing as? I was playing as the guy for a long time, simply because his MDS looks cooler ( Razz )... Then, I've recently tried playing as the girl. Her buzz meter builds up a lot faster, it seems, and she's practically electrostatically zapping all over the place! It seems as though her bombs actually do something, too. I think that all we have to do is figure out the strategy...
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Thu May 13, 2004 2:46 pm
quote : #9
i play as the guy, i tend to stick with the blokes in games as women characters tend to be slightly weaker in my experience. anywho i also want some pointers on this game as i am kinda flooky and nothing else
Posted:
Fri May 14, 2004 7:06 pm
quote : #10
You know.....

I knew that there were a few Psyvarair 2 owners here, but I didn't know that there are so many!

Secretly though, I've always felt that there are more Sh'mup fans in existance than the videogame industry says there are!

Ultrapro.....

I've defeated the level 3 boss a few times. Thing is, it was always with the girl 'bot. Every time I try to beat the 3rd boss with the guy robot, I get waxed almost immediately.

Icepick....

So you've noticed that the girl robot's bombs seems to actually inflict damaged too, eh? Smile That's good news. I was beginning to think that I was either going crazy, or that I had a copy of Psyvarair with a few bugs in it!

StatusJones, Icepick.....

I agree with the both of you about the buzzing concept of the game. I've also noticed that when you fly extremely close to the enemy fire or their ships, a "buzzing" effect can be heard and seen, and the meter at the top of the screen begins to fill. The thing that I've noticed is that it usually stays green (although sometimes it will turn yellow for a second or two), even when you fill it up completely. At first I thought that something would happen once it was filled, so I dropped a bomb....nothing. I tried ramming the enemy ships....nothing. I even tried complex button/joystick combos (ex. L,L,R,U,D,Shoot), still nothing! Sad

Furthermore, in the instruction manual there is an illustration of the meter on Page 15. The illustration shows the gauge actually increasing in color - from Red to Yellow to Green to Blue, with blue being the highest color. However everytime I play the game, the gauge never goes any higher than yellow....and that's just for a few seconds!

Another thing....

Although the meter is usually green, I've noticed that when a boss shows up, it suddenly turns red. Plus, instead of the meter filling up when you scrape against the enemy shots, it also fills up whenever YOUR shots hit the boss! Unfortunately, I still can't see where this makes any difference with the offensive / defensive capabilities of your ship(s).

I did discover one thing however....

You know how your ship does the "spin" move temporarily when moving left to right (or vice-versa) quickly? Well, if you tap D,D (or L,L or R,R) and hold the joystick/joypad either D/L or D/R, you can continue to spin indefinitely! Of course when performing the spin move, your robo-suited character will release a barrage of straight-firing "Projectiles of Pain" (Do you like that term? I just made it up!) Smile Normally the effect is temporary. However, by performing the D-pad move listed above, the firing effect will last almost as long as you want!

As Lord Nikon mentioned earlier, hopefully Kontact will see this thread, and share his superior Psyvarair knowledge with all of us. So far, I'm really impressed with the game. It's just quite frustrating to know that there is a lot to this title that remains hidden to most of us .... or hidden to me at least. Razz

KONTACT.....WHERE ARE YOU??

Technofungk
Posted:
Sat May 15, 2004 3:31 pm
quote : #11
i love the constant spinning bit its so cool, i hate that these new dc games dont get official mentions anywhere like gamefaqs or gamespot where we could normally get guides and stuff, still its a challenge but i'm gonna play it again tomorrow
Posted:
Sun May 16, 2004 12:01 am
quote : #12
Buzzing is basically "Grazing bullets".
Whenever you graze a bullet, your level up meter increases a bit.
Blue bullets give the most buzz.

When your level up meter fills and you level up, you will have a brief moment of invincibility.
The Buzz type mech has a longer invincibility time, and it also levels up faster from buzzing.
Enemies with a red aura around them decrease your level up speed, and must be dispatched to resume normal leveling speed.

Do not however, shoot the enemies with a blue aura around them. Doing so will also slow your leveling speed down.
Obviously this becomes difficult when they group a bunch of blue and red units together :p

Essentially, the Buzz mech has a greater potential for getting high scores, but is much harder to use than the shooting type mech.