Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 5:26 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I'm thinking of expanding my DC experience by learning how to download games, and I figured a good one to start with is Beats of Rage. I just saw a couple of screen shots, and it looked really good.

My question is this: I only use a 56k dialup connection, which you all know is considerably slower than a broadband connection. Approximately how long would it take to download a game image at 56k? If it takes days then I will just wait until I have a broadband connection to start this experiment.

Any insight or suggestions you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

How are my little crackers doing today?
frokid879
rank 21
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 5:29 pm
quote : #2
just leave it on over night. migh take a few, depending on the size. i remember in the dial up days, i would say u would get 3 mb per 10 minutes. so for example pa, would take just over 22 hours.
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 5:32 pm
quote : #3
Yikes! 22 hours? That's way too long.

For comparison sake, how long would it take using DSL or a cable modem connection?

frokid879
rank 21
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 7:18 pm
quote : #4
well pa which is all over the place... 1 hour
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 11:15 pm
quote : #5
i've dled over 10 games using dial up ahhaha Very Happy...hmmmm yea it takes about 10min for 3mb..i always leave my computer on overnite..no biggy Razz..i've dled games that are over 200mb too lol
Posted:
Wed May 12, 2004 4:36 am
quote : #6
now the best way to get the games if ur on dialup would be p2p progs that let ya resume, so incase u get disconnected u will not have to start over.

if i remember right beats of rage was like 60 mb long, so ur looking at 4 to 5 hrs time to dload it.

thats saying u get 5 mb for every 20 mins or so.

back when i was dloading on dialup which was like 1996 to 2000. most games i downloaded came off from irc, since u can resume ur downloads.

but if ya download using a dsl or cable modem then it will take no time at all to get any games.

my connection when i had cable i was downloading at 220 kbs so a 600 mb game would take less than an hr going at full speed.

hope tat answers some of ur questions. Smile
Posted:
Wed May 12, 2004 10:22 am
quote : #7
Tappro, thanks for the information on that. I greatly appreciate it.

This may be a stupid question, so I apologize in advance, but what is IRC and p2p?

I'm guessing that p2p means "point to point," but that is just a guess. Would you please let me know what these are, or where I can find more information about them?

Again, I greatly appreciate all of your assistance with this.

Thanks!

Tappro
rank 9
Posted:
Wed May 12, 2004 10:42 am
quote : #8
[quote="kingofgrills"]Tappro, thanks for the information on that. I greatly appreciate it.

This may be a stupid question, so I apologize in advance, but what is IRC and p2p?

p2p is pc to pc which the programs are bittorent, dc++, edonkey, kazaa and many others.

irc is pretty much the same, but if ya wanna know more about it goto a search engine and type mirc homepage u should be able to find mirc's homepage and it will tell ya what ya need to know about irc.

hope that cleared some things up for ya. Smile

Last edited by Tappro on Thu May 13, 2004 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Wed May 12, 2004 10:59 am
quote : #9
P2P is actually Peer 2 Peer...
I use Dc++ alot but you have to share ALOT of files on the majority of places... Bittorrent is real easy to d/l from or get Getright and find a site to D/L from Getright is a resumer program you start a d/l with it and it will resume when you want it to...
Posted:
Thu May 13, 2004 4:10 am
quote : #10
Just to add a little something, I've started using WinMX and there's one hell of a lot of DC games there. Problem is finding working sources, but if you can then it's sorted for dial-up users.

Kyoushu
rank 3
Posted:
Sun May 16, 2004 12:05 am
quote : #11
DC++ or IRC is probably your best bet.

DC++ is a P2P client similar to IRC, but a bit more user-friendly.You enter hubs full of people and from there you can browse people's files or search for what you need.

The person you're downloading from has to have at least one free upload slot though, and if not, you'll have to wait.

The program requires you to share something too.
For instance, if you're in a game music hub, you damn well better have some game music to share (You might want to organize it in to a few folders as well so it's easy to browse), or the OP's will probably kick you out.

Most games are gonna be at least 200-300 megabytes though, and that's it if they're compressed properly.
Do the math, 56k = 2/5 kilobytes/second, and the games are around 300 megs.
You're gonna be waiting a long time friend.
Posted:
Sun May 16, 2004 2:34 am
quote : #12
looks like i'm gonna borrow my sister's computer this week so i can download propellor arena, she only has a 56k connection, so looks like ill be getting it from bittorent. probably take a couple days to get, but i have patience. Smile
Posted:
Sun May 16, 2004 2:10 pm
quote : #13
The best bet to downloading using a 56K modem would be IRC. Using BitTorrent will cut down on your bandwidth since you'll be uploading as you download (that's how it works). In IRC, you just download, so this is why I would recommend IRC over BT.

Don't be too scared on leaving your computer on for 22+ hours. Operating systems these days are usually stable enough to stay on for such a long time. With DSL, I usually leave my computer on for a full week when I'm downloading gigabytes of anime using BitTorrent.

Tappro
rank 9
Posted:
Sun May 16, 2004 4:23 pm
quote : #14
berzerk wrote:
The best bet to downloading using a 56K modem would be IRC. Using BitTorrent will cut down on your bandwidth since you'll be uploading as you download (that's how it works). In IRC, you just download, so this is why I would recommend IRC over BT.

yeh i believe i will use irc since i'll be usin a 56k connection. but there are also bittorent progs out that will limit ur upload speed, shadow experiment bittorent is just one of them. also there is another bittorent program out there but it's more of a hacked version that will allow no upload speed, so u will get ur full download speed. but i cant say what that program is called.
Posted:
Sun May 16, 2004 6:16 pm
quote : #15
Thats really a hard question to answer. It all depends on size. there are some games/ dc apps that are under 20 megabytes, while others are over 600 mb. It all just depends, but the average game is about 200 mb, which on a DSL moem which a tranfer speed of 25 kb/s (thats slow for broadband, i'm just using what i got) takes about 3 hours. about 15-20 hours on 56k

Now you can usually get that speed on Bittorrent, or if your downloading homebrew gamnes off a FTP. But, DC++ is p2p so you're downloading straight from a users modem. depending on their upload speed you get different speeds. if they are on 56k, you're gonna get like 3 kb/s, if there are on broadband you can get your there full upload speed, provided there bandwitdth is taken up. the average sppe dwith a broadmand modem on DC++ is about 15 kb/s, so if downloading an average game, it'll take longer.

anyways i hope that helps. it's a little confusing, but like i said there is no real good answer for it. Just try to use the information people have provided to figure it out. Now, you mentioned Beats of rage. That is a 60 mb file, so it won't be such a long wait. when i first started downloading games, i was on a 56k modem. You get used to the long wait.