Topic: PBA Bowling Problem

Page 1 of 1
Nightbird
rank 1
Posted:
Tue May 18, 2004 3:40 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I just can't get this game to work. I have downloaded it from various places. Emule, Irc, DC++ ect. So surely not all of these iso's can be faulty. The Game loads fine and the demo works fine but when I press start, the game goes back to Dreamcast Main Menu. I have tried this on a PAL and NTSC Dreamcast. I have reset the internal memory on both casts. I have burned with discjuggler and also mounted with alcohol and burned with nero. I have tried burning with both my a07 and my plextor 24/10 but all burns have the same issue. The CD is 194mb when burned and the name of the CD is "NEW". Can somebody confirm this. There are also two mode2 tracks on the disc. From reading through the posts, somebody else has the same issue aswell. It must be something stupid, surely all the iso's from different sources can't be faulty. Is it something trivial like network settings needing to be present in the Dreamcast, I remember Vanishing Point hanging on the loading screen if there were network settings in the Dreamcast's internal memory. Anyway, I can't suss it so any help would be greatly apprieciated or if someone could upload a working version to my FTP and I'll up anything they request as long as I have it. PM me if so. Cheers.

Last edited by Nightbird on Tue May 18, 2004 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Tue May 18, 2004 5:20 pm
quote : #2
Nightbird, I have the same problem with my copy of the game, but there is a workaround.

When the game is loading hit the start button as soon as the main title screen appears. This avoids the system reset that you're experiencing. Once you do that it should work fine.

If you let the game sit on the title screen, it will reset. I don't know if all copies of PBA Bowling do this - it may only be present on some ISOs.

Does everyone else experience this with PBA Bowling or just us?

How are my little crackers doing today?
Nightbird
rank 1
Posted:
Tue May 18, 2004 8:03 pm
quote : #3
kingofgrills, thanks for the tip, but it still doesn't work. I've tried hitting start as soon as title screen appears. I've tried constantly pressing it, holding it and all other variations and the Dreamcast just resets(the music skips for a second before it resets). Tried your method with each of the 5 isos I've downloaded from different sources. Tried it on 3 Dreamcasts UK and US. This game is driving me mad. Why are people sharing non-working versions. Can somebody upload a known working version.
Cheers.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue May 18, 2004 8:30 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Man so many people are having issues with this game. I think I might contact Excalibur he could re-rip it and see if anything was done wrong in the ripping process.

In the end the game was incomplete, like a beta so it might have problems working on different DC hardware. In the end I have no real answer the problems people are having and I am sorry people are having difficulties.

I'll try to see what I can do. In the meantime goodluck.
Posted:
Wed May 19, 2004 11:44 am
quote : #5
The rip of PBA Bowling only works on US Dreamcast systems. It won't play on Japanese or PAL systems. I have only Japanese Dreamcasts so all I can get from PBA is the demo to work.

Yakumo
Posted:
Wed May 19, 2004 11:57 am
quote : #6
Yakumo wrote:
The rip of PBA Bowling only works on US Dreamcast systems. It won't play on Japanese or PAL systems. I have only Japanese Dreamcasts so all I can get from PBA is the demo to work.

Yakumo

Man that totally sucks that it doesn't work. Hmmm I should add that to the things to do list. I think people could pool their resources to get it to boot on a pal/jp system. I'll talk to Excalibur later tonight and see what he can do.
Posted:
Wed May 19, 2004 3:17 pm
quote : #7
Nightbird, sorry to hear the start button thing didn't work in your case. I hope you get a working copy soon. Have you tried emule?

Now that my copy loads, I wish I could figure out how the swing meter works.

How are my little crackers doing today?
Nightbird
rank 1
Posted:
Thu May 20, 2004 9:11 pm
quote : #8
kingofgrills wrote:
Nightbird, sorry to hear the start button thing didn't work in your case. I hope you get a working copy soon. Have you tried emule?

Now that my copy loads, I wish I could figure out how the swing meter works.

I've got a copy off emule and it does the same thing. I have a US dreamcast and 2 UK dreamcasts and it does the same thing on all three. I have even tried an S-Video cable incase it was an RGB issue but it still fails. I also tried different brands of CD's to no avail. I've downloaded another copy tonight and it also crashes when you press start. Well....10 CD's later and about 6 isos from different sources and I still don't have a working copy of this game, so I've given up. Thanks for the replies though.

As far as the meter goes, if it's the same as the Xbox version (ie, the 3 button press method), the first press is speed, second press is acuracy and the last press is spin. Hope this helps. I can't play the game to try it. Sad

Chris5687
unknown
Posted:
Thu May 20, 2004 11:57 pm
quote : #9
Awhile back some people were saying that file called "System Disc 2" is supposed to fix this problem. It's a ISO, that you burn just like an DC game.

I've sent cd though the mail to grubensau. He is in germany so he has a PAL console. The game did not work, even though his console is modded. I sent that disc and it still did not work.

But however, he has a PAL console and it is known not to work on any of these. Maybe the disc was meant for bugs like your with is even happening on he NTSC consoles.

lordnikon should be hosting the file soon and it'll be abvailable. it's very small. I hope it works, but don't get too excited as the only tests have been a failure =(

EDIT: I was just able to get the NFO file for the disc. It's not exactly what my impression of it was:
NFO wrote:
Belokk Presents

Title: Dreamcast System Disc 2
Platform: Dreamcast
Date: 06/4/2003
Format: DiscJuggler v.4

Summary:
here is the really rare piece of software i was talking about releaseing. here it is the
dc system disc 2. this disc goes for alot of money, i am talking 200+. this disc will allow
a retail dc to play GD-R beta games. So if you come across GD-R of Propeller Arena, you can
play it now.
History/Notes: i like to thank DCP from irc for helping me with the boot process. it seems
it was an easy fix. when i realized what it was i kicked myself. i hope to remeber in the
future for more unreleased games.

p.s. i got another unreleased game for dc i got yesterday. if i can rip it expect that to be
released soon.

enjoy Smile

-belokk

So i guess in a way it relates to PBA, since hte leaked version originally most likely came from a PBA.I guess the only way to know is test it

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat May 22, 2004 3:48 am
quote : #10
That means its for booting ORIGINAL gdroms. I don't think it will work with a rip of the game, but I will look into it.
Posted:
Sat May 22, 2004 6:33 am
quote : #11
The rip of the Dreamcast boot disc doesn't even boot GDROM Recordable discs. I have a Crazy Taxi beta one which works on my Japanese Dreamcast using a disc swap method but not with the system 2 disc. Belokk himself (The guy who ripped it) says that it doesn't work.

Yakumo