Page 1 of 1
Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:57 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: Pal
Yeh another PBA post sorry bout that lol. Just a few quick questions for the more PC DC clever people.

1: How can we tell if PBA has the capability to create its own room like with 4x4. Do we have to wait til the server is down for a while to find this out?.

2: Seeing as PBA is PC and DC should we be doing stuff like logging packets etc ( Ive not much clue what that means but it sounds good )

3: When myself and Segadreamcaster played PBA online we noticed one hell of a lot of disk access when the game is started. Is this a good indication that the create game info is on the disk?.

They may sound like silly questions to some but asmy Mum use to say " If you dont ask you dont get "

Laters
Posted:
Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:45 am
quote : #2
i am most likely not the best person to reply to this but i finally got the PC version of PBA bowling 2001 and I will be trying to setup deciated servers for it for all you DC lovers out there... if it connects to PC servers that is (powered by gamespy ?)

I want to get hold on the DC version of it ... but i can't be asked with all the messing around to make it work on a PAL DC..
Posted:
Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:30 am
quote : #3
Type: PAL
hy Blast - Hy all

I have some times ago the dreamcast Pba version a little bit under the magnifying glass taken, and found some interesting out . . .

1: the game is programed in Windows CE -
2: some things are probably from the PC version?? <--see the IP functions
3: much possible the game arenas can be modified !?! <--no notion whether it it also there can be limited server be functioned ??
but an attempt is it worth -- or??
one could try e.g. simply times the number of players to advance

]//************************************************************************************
    // NETWORK MENUS
    //************************************************************************************

[Text 18]

Style = 1
    Header = Network Game

Split = 3

Text 0 = Create
    Text 1 = Show Sessions
    Text 2 = Cancel

[Text 19]

Style = 0
    Header = Network Services

Text 0 = IPX <-- |?? IPX is an old Pc network protokol??|
    Text 1 = TCP/IP (LAN) <-- LAN ?? with the dreamcast ?? cool Wink
    Text 2 = TCP/IP (INTERNET)
    Text 3 = Modem
    Text 4 = Serial
    Text 5 = Go to Bethsoft.net
    Text 6 = Cancel

[Text 20]

Style = 0
    Header = TCP/IP Configuration

Text 0 = [ ENTER IP ADDRESS ]
    Text 1 = Ok
    Text 2 = Cancel

[Text 21]

Style = 0
    Header = Modem Phone Number

Text 0 = [ ENTER PHONE NUMBER ]
    Text 1 = Ok
    Text 2 = Cancel

[Text 22]

Style = 1
    Header = Serial Port Configuration
    Split = 7

Text 0 = Com Port Number
    Text 1 = Baud Rate
    Text 2 = Stop Bits
    Text 3 = Parity
    Text 4 = Flow Control
    Text 5 = Ok
    Text 6 = Cancel

Text 7 = [COM PORT]
    Text 8 = [BAUD RATE]
    Text 9 = [STOP BITS]
    Text 10 = [PARITY]
    Text 11 = [FLOW CONTROL]

[Text 23]

Style = 0
    Header = Error

Text 12 = OK

/************************************************************************************
    // DirectPlay Status <-- "" PLEASE" Smile
    //************************************************************************************

[Text 45]

Style = 0
    Header = Network Status

Text 0 = Connecting...
    Flag 0 = 1
    Text 5 = Cancel

// DIRECTPLAY NAME

[Text 46]

Style = 0
    Header = Enter Name
    Edit = 1

Text 16 = Done

// IP ADDRESS

[Text 47]

Style = 0
    Header = Enter IP Address
    Edit = 1

Text 16 = Done

center Konfiguration script
    [code][General]
    Lane Count = 40
    Tournament Pair = 25
    Directory = Baja_Bay
    Scoreboard Texture = BB Scoreboard
    Scoreboard Off = BB inactive scorebd
    Chairs Team 1 = Ass Marker A
    Chairs Team 2 = Ass Marker B
    Oil File = Akron.Raw
    Life Odds = 15
    Max Players = 4

Last edited by fallout on Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:43 am
quote : #4
[UKR]DreamcastUK wrote:
i am most likely not the best person to reply to this but i finally got the PC version of PBA bowling 2001 and I will be trying to setup deciated servers for it for all you DC lovers out there... if it connects to PC servers that is (powered by gamespy ?)

I want to get hold on the DC version of it ... but i can't be asked with all the messing around to make it work on a PAL DC..

Hi all thanks for the quick reply Smile

Fallout I cant see the stuff you printed on DC so cant answer much of that.

UKR. If you are getting PBA on PC the most important thing to do first is actualy test that one of uscan meet you online and play a game, PC and DC. If we get more evidence that PBA may be run oncethe server is gone then it shouldent be a problem to get you a working Pal copy.

Laters
Posted:
Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:49 am
quote : #5
fixed Smile I hope you can see it now Embarassed

Quote:
Seeing as PBA is PC and DC should we be doing stuff like logging packets etc ( Ive not much clue what that means but it sounds good )

I will do that , when i finnaly have my new phone system !

Last edited by fallout on Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:50 am
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
[UKR]DreamcastUK you can't run dedicated servers for PBA. It's a matchmaking list. Here is how it works:

First you have to log into the gamespy network, then you reach a master match making list. Then a users hosts a game. It's client hosted. There is no 'dedicated' server environment for pba. All you could do is leave the PC version up in the lobby with a running game. And this would serve nothing because people would come into the game and go "hello? hello? are you there?" wait around and then leave.

Posted Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:52 am:

Also there is no method in the dreamcast version to use any sort of direct connect function. Someone would have to reverse engineer a master list, mimmicking gamespy technology as well as authentication because PBA requires you to login with a username and password before reaching the lobby.
Posted:
Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:09 pm
quote : #7
I know lordnikon Wink . I find it only somewhat strangely why these information is in the Konfig script of the DC version present?

A further asks itself me up. . . when did Pba in the P2p network emerge ??

Arrgghh . . . why the benefactor does not announce himself Sad

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
1: How can we tell if PBA has the capability to create its own room like with 4x4. Do we have to wait til the server is down for a while to find this out?.

I do not hope this will so early happen. because I do not think the server them switched again on
Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:35 pm
quote : #8
Well Im not sure now that I wanted to ask the original questions. I seem more confused than before I asked the questions and that kind of defies the object of asking questions in the first place.

Heres how I read the above so far, I may be totaly worng. PBA has no server, the game is made when you create room. The matchmaking service finds other online PBA users and rooms. Therefore it is the matchmaking service and not a server that would need to be kept up to keep PBA online.

If I am correct then,

1: Do matchmaking services normaly get taken down?

2: Is it still in anyway possible to preserve PBA past the time that the matchmaking service is turnedoff?.

I just asked more questions. Now I will more than likely have brain damage.

Laters
Posted:
Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:53 pm
quote : #9
Almost all sega dreamcast online games including most all other online console games do not have a dedicated server. They have a list which allows users to either host or join a game hosted by another user.

Without the server list it is impossible for users to initiate a hosted game. The list is the middle man. It is a step in the process which must take place in order to play PBA Bowling online. In order to play pba bowling online first you must enter a gamespy username and password. You can't get past this screen unless you enter a valid gamespy username and password. If the game us unable to verfiy valid info, it will error out. Leaving you stuck at that screen. Note this is the exact identical cause and effect process that happens with all games created using sega SNAP. GameSpy is not, as many people seem to think, some holy server method that grants users infinite control over online games. In-fact it's functionality is extremly similar if not identical to how sega SNAP works.

Here is an example comparing Ooga Booga(SNAP) and PBA Bowling(GameSpy):

OB > ------ > username auth > ------ > game lobby > ------ > host / join game > ------ > playing game

PBA > ------ > username auth > ------ > game lobby > ------ > host / join game > ------ > playing game

See? Same exact situation. Notice that ooga booga is first unable to gain any username and password authorization. Normally this would be a users sega.com community account. Since it is unable to get a return authorization response it then returns an error. Leaving you no choice but to disconnect from the internet, and return to the start screen.

After a valid gamespy username and password is authenticated you are THEN granted access to a central lobby. Where you can choose to either join or host a game.

Without this central list and authentication you will be unable to play PBA Bowling online.

The only games that used a dedicated gaming server, where the actual host of the game was a 3rd entity and not an actual client user, are Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament.

4x4 Evolution has the built in ability to host an online game regardless of accessing a master matching server list. The game developers designed it to do this.

PBA Bowling was not designed in the same way 4x4 Evolution was.
Posted:
Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:06 pm
quote : #10
That made it nice and clear Smile So I guess PBA is on the same ticking clock as other DC online games Sad . The only way I imagine to preserve them would be to aquire the match making software from Gamespy then make a VMU save that redirects to a new login/matchmaker service.

Its easy to see why people get confused

1: Most sega-net games required login, BMO didnt.

2: Some games offer areas where you can enter another server address but with no real chance of there actualy being one.

3: 4x4 is on gamespy and can be played whatever happens. As Lordnikon said above this leads to confusion in thinking that all gamespy games can be easily kept online.

Just to add a little to what was said in the abovepost. I expect Planet ring had a dedicated server. I just cant see it being able to work in the way that was explained above. Who knows eh.

Thanks for the description.

Laters
Posted:
Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:33 pm
quote : #11
Another interesting thing I must also point out. Many US games like ooga booga, and the sports games all had sub lists. First you would be presented with a list of regions. Each region area was a different dedicated master list server. So there was like a master list of master lists hehe.

Sega was so ambitious with their sega net setup that they strived to put machines in every major city across the country so gamers could get the best ping.

UT had multiple game servers in boston, chicago, houston, new york, los angelas etc etc etc

Pretty crazy.

So far Sega Swirl, 4x4 EVO, and Quake 3 Arena will be online forever.

GameSpy games could have some development done with them however it would take some serious program reverse engineering(in terms of a central match making server). I have some stuff on the brain with this but still working on developing details. I always wait until I have solid evidence before presenting stuff.
Posted:
Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:37 pm
quote : #12
The only games that MIGHT be added to the online list is homebrew games. I don't think there is any at the moment but maybe sometime in the future.