Page Location: Home > Archive - General > Topic
NickEriksson
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:13 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi,

I am reasonably new to Dreamcast online and I think this is a fantastic site. I was amazed when I read that F355 Challenge is still available to play online and that there are scheduled meeting times for races. I saw that there was a scheduled race for 9pm UK time and although I think I set up my dreamcast properly I was unable to connect. I will explain how I set up the dreamcast and maybe someone can help shed some light on this mystery!? Well firstly I set up the dreamcast properly with all cables in the correct places. My dreamcast is already registered and set up (I play PSO regularly online). I put in F355 challenge (PAL version, I live in the UK) and select 60 Hz. When I reach the main menu I select "Network Race" and select "yes" when asked if I would like to connect. I am then asked to enter "a password", I don't have a password included in the box or in the instruction manual so I assume that the user chooses to enter a password of his choice to prevent other people from connecting to the internet without the user's permission. I think of the first word that comes into my head and I enter it and start to connect. A screen appears saying "now connecting", after about 30 seconds it says "connected successfully". I then wait until my watch (set properly to UK time) gets to 9pm, as soon as it does I select Motegi and start to connect, however the screen that appears says that there are no users and after about 30 seconds it says "connection failed" and it disconnects me sending me back to the main menu. I don't know what I am doing wrong, If I could have a guess I would say that it is something to do with the password. Any help given I would be very grateful for. Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards NickEriksson

BrockStrongo
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:19 pm
quote : #2
Hmm, i have never been asked for a password when connecting to F355,

maybe somebody else will know?

F355 and Starlancer reports Smile
Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:04 pm
quote : #3
Type: Pal
The Pal version Q3 arena always asked for a password but had none in the box. I was rather taken back when I first saw it and just enterd my Dreamarena password which worked.

I dont think the password part of it had anything to do with your problem. At a guess Id say no one was on when you connected, then somehow you accidently got DC'd

laters
Posted:
Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:51 pm
quote : #4
The f355 connection has been a bit ropey for a few weeks. Mine sorted itself out at the weekend. But you should have been able to connect for some races.

What number of other racers is shown on the screen when you connect?

I've heard F355 doesn't work with some isp's. Check by using a pay-as-you-go isp like BT click. If it works, the chances are it's your isp at fault.

Yeah it asks for a password, i just put 'a'. Doesn't matter what i use.

Good luck getting connected. Would be cool if you can join the regular Tu/Th meetings and the world champ's.
I've got loads of racing games for GC/PS2/DC and F355 is the best.

NickEriksson
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:17 am
quote : #5
Hi,

Thanks for answering so promptly. When I choose the track to race on and select gears it says that there are no other players. I have tried this so many times and I haven't yet raced. On every occasion it disconnects me. I would love to join the weekly race meet-up as I think it is a fantastic idea.

Posted Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:53 am:

Hi,

Thanks for your help everyone, however I have identified the problem. Thanks very much to Jools who suggested that I check my ISP is pay as you go. I have checked and it is not pay as you go, so I changed my ISP settings to a pay as you go ISP and I am very pleased to announce that F355 is working online and I haven't experienced any problems since changing ISP's. So I guess I will be seeing all of you guys on thursday night. Thanks for all your help.

NickEriksson

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:24 am
quote : #6
Type: Pal
Glad you got on OK Nick Smile

Ive had plenty of DC games that wont connect on my ISP but do on the standard Sega ISP. What I find odd is you do get online nick you get past the password stage then it wont let you play. Thats different to anything I ever had, when my ISP is not compatible it just wont connect period. Dont get on the server at all.

Laters