Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
limpbizkitfan943
rank 16
Posted:
Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:25 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
hey.
it sucks how most homebrew games are only 10-20 megabytes, but yet they take up a whole CD. so I was thinking, it might be a simple operation for somebody to make a program that would like compile a bunch of nero images into one nero CD image that would have a root menu to select which game to play. that would surely save a crapload of CDs.
Posted:
Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:11 pm
quote : #2
Ever heard of SelfbootInducer? Check www.sbiffy.com or www.dcemulation.com
I
rank 16
Posted:
Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:14 pm
quote : #3
how's it work, how do you use it and what does it do, other than the obvious
Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:41 am
quote : #4
download the exe, download the relevant sbi files and run the exe... it has a tutorial, its simple. Great stuff this, i got pretty much every DC release on one cd. its particularly good with emulators, you can have tall of the snes emulators on one cd and they all use the same roms, since they all use roms from the same folder. Smile
Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:14 am
quote : #5
cool. I got it working, but is the super nintendo emulator slow on dreamcast? I heard it was slow and didn't have any sound
Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:29 am
quote : #6
There are 2 SNES emulators for DC and they are both at about the same level of performance. Dreamsnes is probably the nicest, but its a dead project and then you have Superfamicast which is an ongoing open source project by Scherzo. Both share the same cpu core written in SH4 ASM which is pretty decent. I would estimate the overall speed with stereo sound to be close to 85% on the majority of games and closer to 90% on some. I recommend Dreamsnes for its awesome gui, but try them both.
Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:23 am
quote : #7
and also try running them without sound, it'll speed them up a bit... 90% of games are playable with no sound in my opinion.
Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:33 pm
quote : #8
I actually found a tutorial page on the web that tells you step by step on how to overclock your Dreamcast, but its all in Japanese, and unless you put some serious extra cooling equipment in it, its about a guaranteed overheat.

Hey, but it should at least allow Dreamsnes to run at full speed Razz

[EDIT:]Here is the webpage. For some odd reason, babelfish does not work. http://www.echna.ne.jp/~kim/Kim4/Link5.html

If somebody could accurately translate this, so that the margin of error is QUITE reduced, I would volunteer to try it myself.

SoldierBlade
rank 14
Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:59 pm
quote : #9
Wow nice find. I tried using worldlingo to translate it but it timed out and gave me gibberish that didnt even have ASCII characters in it. I hope someone knows a good human translator. The page as far as I can tell describes how to run the FSB up so the CPU can run at 240mhz, and from what it looks like, give a 10% boost in overall performance in games.

*SBlade whips out the liquid nitrogen and a paper cup...*
Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:26 pm
quote : #10
Don't forget this could make some games unplayable. since the dc has a standardised speed since all consoles are the same, some devvers may have used the processor speed as a timer. Meaning some commercial games might run too fast or break entirely.
Definitely worth a go if you have two consoles though.
Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:31 pm
quote : #11
This would be soo cool to see what it would do to some of the more taxi'ing games on the DC.

Morph
unknown
Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:58 pm
quote : #12
[mIRC mode:]
/me dreams about Unreal Tournament 4-player mode and Half-Life with less lag...
[/mIRC mode]

And seriously, if somebody can translate it for me, I will try it. I have soldering equipment, and my mother used to work in an electronics factory, so she is like a god of all things circuitry.

limpbizkitfan943
rank 16
Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:04 pm
quote : #13
if you overclocked it and it wouldn't let you run certain games, could you change it back to normal speed, or would it be irreversible?
Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:07 pm
quote : #14
Yea, look at the page. Like, one of the last pictures shows a switch that, I ASSUME, switches the overclock mode on and off, since the switch goes between 200 and 240. 200 is the Dreamcast's default MHZ speed, so 240 would be overclock mode, I ASSUME.