Page 1 of 2
NickEriksson
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:17 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi,

I have just returned from a very long session on PS2's brilliant karaoke game "Singstar". I have seen that there is a karaoke game for dreamcast. does anyone have this game and, if so would they be prepared to pm me, as I have a couple of questions to ask about the game/device

Thanks a lot

Doomkiller
banned!
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:30 pm
quote : #2
hmm yes there is a device i did see it on sega site let me look

well heres pics not sure were to find it

http://www.sega.co.jp/dc/hard/o_ka raoke.html
http://www.sega.co.jp/dc/hard/o_se gakara.html

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:07 pm
quote : #3
A Sega Dreamcast karaoke machine, not game, was released for use in Japan. It is an expansion set the Dreamcast attaches to the top of, and it includes a microphone and volume control. I think some music discs were released in the Japanese market, but the set also used the Dreamcast to dial into Sega's karaoke network, allowing the user to download additional songs.

I think a picture and description of it appears on: www.dreamcasthistory.com . Just look at the hardware under the Japanese section of the site. Also, they ocassionally come up for sale on Ebay too.

How are my little crackers doing today?
jhorto1
unknown
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:52 pm
quote : #4
I almost bought one a year ago. I couldn't figure out if you could use it without connecting to the internet. I've never seen any DC karaoke music discs for sale.
rank 14
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:44 pm
quote : #5
I'm pretty sure it would just use normal CD+G Karaoke discs, which are pretty common. Wouldnt make much sense if it didnt.
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:14 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
No, you can't unfortunately. The unit itself must dial into SEGA and you must pay for a subscription. Once you turn off the unit, the songs are lost since they are stored inside of the karaoke unit.

Aside from Japan, I don't think there is any other way to get ahold of the songs, and you can't use other CDs/VCDs/CD+G disks because the karaoke unit used its own exclusive format. Even the CD that comes with the unit doesn't even have sample songs. It's just used to dial into SEGA, manage the songs, and display the visuals.

Dreamcast ™

DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:17 pm
quote : #7
Amazing this came out and not the zip drive Neutral

still a cool toy if you know Japanese

SoldierBlade
rank 14
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:25 pm
quote : #8
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
No, you can't unfortunately. The unit itself must dial into SEGA and you must pay for a subscription. Once you turn off the unit, the songs are lost since they are stored inside of the karaoke unit.

Aside from Japan, I don't think there is any other way to get ahold of the songs, and you can't use other CDs/VCDs/CD+G disks because the karaoke unit used its own exclusive format. Even the CD that comes with the unit doesn't even have sample songs. It's just used to dial into SEGA, manage the songs, and display the visuals.

Dreamcast ™

Aint that a bitch... Yet another thing from sega that becomes nothing more than a collectors novelty rather than something useable. :/
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:28 pm
quote : #9
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well, they do still offer the service/subscription in Japan. Maybe someday they will offer it as a free service as they had done in America with SegaNet and we could upload them here to be downloaded.

Dreamcast ™

SoldierBlade
rank 14
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:44 pm
quote : #10
Good point, but the subtitles would probably be in katakana and the majority of the songs probably wouldnt be recognizable to us non japanese people. Still a novelty to collectors unless your japanese. Dont you just love how game companies shit on us americans?
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:01 pm
quote : #11
Wow! Sounds like they've thought of a way to make the unit almost completely useless to me. I guess, in all fairness, it was never meant to be marketed to me.
Still, I'd like to find one as a novelty.
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:21 pm
quote : #12
The Dorikara to give it it's proper name is a very good system and much more than a gimmick if you live in Japan. I use mine with my wife and friends quite often. The system is best used with the Dreamcast Broad band adaptor otherwise you'll be stuck with only having the option to download the music and text since the music videos that play in the back ground would take forever to download. With broad band the first song takes about 5 minutes to download everything (Music, Text and video). Once that is downloaded in to the Dorikara's memory you can download 3 more songs at the same time. The Dorikara can store up to 4 or 5 songs with videos etc, at once.

The disc that comes with the machine has no music on it. It's basically like the Dream Passport discs. All it does is allow the Dreamcast to connect to the network. The same network is used by ALL Sega karaoke Studios throughout Japan. That means thousands and thousands of places. So there is no risk of the service going under. There is a wide range of songs that get updated every week. Basically it's the same range that you get at a real karaoke studio. They have all the Japanese songs plus Chinese, Korean and Western. All songs in English have English text while Japanese are in Japanese, Chinese in Chinese and Korean in Korean. Of course the none Japanese songs have Japanese Katakana over the text for the Japanese to understand. You can buy the latest song catalogues drom Sega each month or just find out the track numbers by going to their online site.

There are many different singing games you can play with the Dorikara as well as many cool sound features. Say you are singing on your own but the song requires a duet. Well the Dorikara can play the part of the woman if you're a man or a man if you're a woman thanks to some very clever DSP options.

The fee for Dorikara is very reasonable. 1 day pass (24 hours) only cost 500 yen, about 2pound 50pence. Or a 1 month pass would cost 3000 yen which is about 15 pounds. When you conceder that a normal Karaoke Studio charges from 300 to 500 yen per hour per person, then the Sega service is indeed great value.

You can see many pictures of my Dorikara over at my site in the Hardware section.

Yakumo

http://www.segagagadomain.com
Posted:
Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:28 am
quote : #13
I'm quite interested in getting one of these, how hard would it be for me with the help of a friend thats fluent in Japanese to set an account up??How do you pay for the service and if it's doable, where do I stand the best chance of getting one (except ebay)? Do you have any link to the lists with songs?
Posted:
Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:56 pm
quote : #14
Getting one of Ebay will cost too much. I normally sell them for the price of a Dreamcast console. 99% of the time they are super mint as new !!

Getting one to run outside of Japan isn't impossible. First you need to get your Dreamcast signed up to ISAO (Japanese Dreamcast server). Once that's done you connect your DC and Karaoke system then head on over to the signing up page. Fill that in and off you go.

You pay by using a credit card or Web Money. I don't know if they have Web Money outside of Japan. They look like pre-paid cards with a code number. To use it on a site you just enter in your code number allong with the amount that you want to spend.

I could give you a link to the site with all the songs listed but it's pre4tty pointless since you won't be able to find the English song section. If you want to look though, head on over to sega.co.jp go to the site map then click on SEGA MUSIC NETWORKS. this will all be in Japanese though.

Yakumo

Yakumo
Posted:
Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:23 am
quote : #15
Does that mean you could perhaps get one of those? How much would one be shipped by air to Europe you think? ^^;; Also, that preorder on your site, when do you collect the money for it?

Yakumo, beast man.... fan of Takada Yuuzou by any chance?