1, 2, 3  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:20 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
For a long time it was a general understanding that the Dreamcast has three games that support the dreamcast VS CABLE; a peripheral that allows 2 Dreamcast's to connect directly for local multiplayer gameplay on 2 TV's. The list only included Virtual On Oratorio Tangram, F355 Challenge, and Aero Dancing F. Sega Tetris, aka Sega Tetris Online, has full system link support for the DC VS cable. The game originated, like so many of Dreamcast games, in the arcades on Naomi arcade hardware. In the arcades it was system link compatible as well, so it only seemed natural to bring this same functionality to the Dreamcast. Sega Tetris supports 2-4 players over the vs cable.

You are probobly asking yourself, "Why would you play tetris, system linked? It's tetris."
Well, if your playing a 1 vs 1 battle, you probobly won't take advantage of this because you can just use 1 system and 1 tv and get the same experience. However the whole reason for System Link with Sega Tetris, is 2 vs 2 team competative gameplay. 2 players on one TV vs 2 players on another TV.

Why did this game sit around for so long undiscovered? Here's why:
Sega Tetris was released in Japan only(It was online as well. However network service ended for it November 30th, 2002). The game is entirely in Japanese, including all the menu's and game prompts. So even if someone booted it up and start playing, they would only think to play 1 or 2 player modes. Nobody would even fathom to look for vs link mode in a tetris game. The other problem is most of the people in US areas who have the game, probobly don't own a legit copy. They have a burned copy. If they DID own a legit copy they would be able to see an image on the back of the gamecase depicting 2 dreamcast's connected with a Dreamcast VS cable.

I remembered I actually have this game in ISO format in my backups archive. I burn it and boot up the game. Problem! It's all in japanese. So I had to partially translate and guess/check each selection in order to find evidence of a system link menu. Finally I do find something that I think is the menu. However all it was, were 2 selections. If you click on one, it would then start counting down saying "now connecting" and then timeout. So this seemed like a good guess to me. I then procedded to burn off another copy, and connected my vs cable and broke out some more dreamcast controllers. I went back to that same menu, and sure enough....it worked. A newly discovered dreamcast system link game was now fully verified.

I have prepared a primer for the menu system below. It is a circular menu, so I had to make a visual example for people to understand what is what. This is how the menu system looks when it first comes up on the screen on startup.

I did come across 1 other game: 'Aero Dancing i' It clearly has 'Dream cast opposition cable' in it's peripheral listing at sega.co.jp. Also since Aero Dancing F is system link compatible I think this is very strong evidence that Aero Dancing i is also system link compatible. If anyone can disprove this, please come forward, however I will be adding this game to the list along with Sega Tetris.

-

So, there you have it. I think all of the VS CABLE games are now found. There could be PAL or US games that have a hidden feature that may or may not ever be discovered. However I think it's pretty much safe to say, we found all we are going to find. Finding these 2 system link games is a VERY BIG DEAL for Dreamcast users interested in online and local networked gameplay. This is a great day for sega Dreamcast players everywhere who enjoy networking their Dreamcast's.

Last edited by lordnikon on Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:39 am; edited 7 times in total
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:59 am
quote : #2
the dreamcast never fails to amaze me Shocked I never even knew sega had a game called 'sega tetris' Neutral but this link cable buisness sounds interesting Cool btw good work nikon Smile I though people knew Aero Fighter was link compatible before this Confused

cheerz,

Games online with : Phantasy Star Online Ver.2 (PAL), Star Lancer, F355 Challange

Currently playing : Phantasy Star Online Ver.2 (PAL)
qatmix
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:09 am
quote : #3
Sorry mate, but I already mentioned this earlier. Wink

Also all versions of aerodancing support it. The later versions of Aerodancing also support BBA and IP hosting (its networkable with a pc version) so they are going to be online forever. There is also another 2 link cable games I know off, which i am waitign for the postie to deliver this week.
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:24 am
quote : #4
qatmix wrote:
The later versions of Aerodancing also support BBA and IP hosting (its networkable with a pc version) so they are going to be online forever. .

? need more infos plz... what version (US JAP PAL?)..... and online forever? Is there a game online we dont know?
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:34 am
quote : #5
*Applause*
Great job dude! The Dreamcast never ceases to amaze me; new discoveries every day!

Cheers! Smile

qatmix
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:34 am
quote : #6
Jap games.

Spawn and heavy metal geomatrix.
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:14 pm
quote : #7
qatmix wrote:
Sorry mate, but I already mentioned this earlier. Wink

Also all versions of aerodancing support it. The later versions of Aerodancing also support BBA and IP hosting (its networkable with a pc version) so they are going to be online forever. There is also another 2 link cable games I know off, which i am waitign for the postie to deliver this week.

Only ADF and ADi are listed as using the link cable. Have you personally tested all Aero Dancing games in a cable vs setup? And there is no evidence yet to suggest they used the BBA or direct ip gameplay.

qatmix wrote:
Jap games.
Spawn and heavy metal geomatrix.

95% certain these games are not system link compatible.
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:55 pm
quote : #8
I own a US version of Spawn: In the Demon's Hand. I never really looked around the menu's. I'm gonna do some research online to see if there's a code or something that you can use to unlock this so-called system link feature.

Posted Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:10 pm:

News Flash Bitches!...lol

I did some research and came up with this from the IGN site:

"We rushed to our import shop the moment we learned that Spawn: In the Demon's Hand was available. Hey - can you blame us? The arcade version of the game, while having some huge problems in the area of camera and control, was most certainly fun, something that was mimicked nicely by the Dreamcast, complete with split screen play. We couldn't wait to see what the final build would hold.

Perhaps such enthusiasm wasn't needed, as the final version of the game seems to be pretty much identical to our previous build, complete with the same wicked camera problems. Of course, we assume the game is still a whole lot of fun. However, you should check out our previous set of impressions below before importing, and prepare yourself for a bit of adjustment.
Gamers based in Japan have a much better reason for importing the game than you and I, thanks to the inclusion of a full network play option. Up to eight gamers can play one another simultaneously in the Japanese version using Capcom's matching service. You can even have four players playing through a single Dreamcast if you like, we assume through the game's included split screen. Offline multiplayer is also available through this split screen, although like with the previous build, you have access to a select few bland arenas alone when attempting this.

The game's manual hints at another Japanese exclusive. You can use your Dreamcast controller and VMU with the Japanese arcade cabinet, as nicely pointed out by the manual's drawing of an arcade cabinet with controllers emerging from within. It seems that you use the arcade version to open up new characters in the DC version and vice versa. However, there also seems to be the option of unlocking new characters by going through Capcom's Spawn website. And, of course, you can unlock characters by playing through the game. Will you need a combination of all three of these in order to open up every character? We're not sure just yet...

Alas, as importers, both the ONLINE PLAY AND THE ARCADE LINK UP ARE LOCKED OUT. Oh woe of woes! Will the game, complete with its difficult to manage camera and lack of analogue control stand up in spite of this? Find out in our full review, coming soon."

Here's the link:

http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/133/133193p1.html

Although it has no link compatability, it was once, or still is online. We need someone to confirm this.
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:16 pm
quote : #9
DRBagabundo wrote:
Although it has no link compatability, it was once, or still is online. We need someone to confirm this.

Spawn in the Demons Hand
http://www3.capcom.co.jp/newproducts/consumer/dcspawn/index.html
* Communication opposition (matching service), It ended service with 2003 September 1st noon.
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:43 pm
quote : #10
There you go, I'm surprised it lasted til 2003...
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:11 pm
quote : #11
I've had this game for a while, and that japenese pissed me off, Thanks for the menu translation. that helps.
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:34 pm
quote : #12
Now I've just got to find someplace selling the game and I'll be set. Either that or someone hosting the image. I usually try to purchase all of my games so that I have the originals, but this may be a hard one to find.
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:29 pm
quote : #13
Great stuff... now I have a reason to dig it out of the "done and dusted" box.

qatmix
rank 5
Posted:
Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:42 am
quote : #14
I have aerodancing and have its BBA etc. I cant connect atm as there is a message. The us versions of Spawn and Heavy metal do not support link play but the jap versions do. Ive played heavy metal Geomatrix DC link up at E3 3 or so years ago.
Posted:
Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:15 am
quote : #15
qatmix wrote:
I have aerodancing and have its BBA etc. I cant connect atm as there is a message.

So since it hasn't been proven to work, then you can't claim that it works.

qatmix wrote:
The us versions of Spawn and Heavy metal do not support link play but the jap versions do. Ive played heavy metal Geomatrix DC link up at E3 3 or so years ago.

Well that was the E3 build. The final build that ships to retailers is a completly different story. Sega.co.jp has neither of them listing dc vs cable in the peripheral descriptions. Nor do the official websites. Since you havn't actually played the retail jp version system linked, then you can't say for sure that they are compatible with the cable. I guess you'll just have to wait and see when you actually get them in the mail. Did you order 2 of each?