Page Location: Home > Archive - General > Topic
Mario8789
rank 1
Posted:
Mon May 17, 2004 7:56 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
is it possible to play F355 online in the US or not? it has been bothernin me for awhile and would like an answer, if it is i would be more than happy to go out and find a broadband adapter to play online.

Tao
rank 15
Posted:
Mon May 17, 2004 8:21 pm
quote : #2
Yes, it is possible to play F355 online in the US--unfortunately, there is no broadband support; meaning that using a broadband adapter will NOT work. The game is run through a CGI script, and it doesn't run in real-time head to head support. Instead, you pick the track you would like to race on, wait for other players to join, and, after they have joined, you race by yourself on the track you chose. After doing so, you have the ability to view a 'replay' of all of the racers on the same track together (since each person drove individually originally, cars might go through each other on the replay).

You can also visit the F355 homepage and download ghosts of other racers who have uploaded theirs. You can view in depth driving data on their ghosts too; it's mad helpful for beginners to the game. Watch out though, a lot of the top spots are held by Nazo drifters (where people use a steering wheel glitch to defy physics, 'nazo' means 'mysterious' in Japanese), which is basically cheating. Confused
Posted:
Tue May 18, 2004 12:44 pm
quote : #3
if i cant play with a broadband adapter is it still worth going out and getting the broadband adapter to play quake 3 and starlancer?

lanzarlaluna
rank 10
Posted:
Tue May 18, 2004 1:17 pm
quote : #4
You can't play StarLancer with the broadband adaptor. Quake III Arena and PAL Phantasy Star Online are the only games that currently work with the broadband adaptor and are online. Check the "Online Game List" link in the menu bar to the left for more infornation.

Spending $100-130 for a BBA is worth it if you are a die-hard Dreamcast fan, since Q3A will always be online. I've been looking to pick one up, even though I don't have broadband service right now, because one day I WILL have broadband. And, like I said, Q3A will always be online!
rank 1
Posted:
Tue May 18, 2004 3:44 pm
quote : #5
OK one more question then. right now i have only the original web browser that came with my dc when i bought it new. I have read somewhere that you can only play q3a on the bba if you have the 3.0 version. is this true? (even so then i guess it would still be worth it to have another browser that could be used when my comp is being used). Wink

Tao
rank 15
Posted:
Tue May 18, 2004 5:55 pm
quote : #6
Mario8789 wrote:
OK one more question then. right now i have only the original web browser that came with my dc when i bought it new. I have read somewhere that you can only play q3a on the bba if you have the 3.0 version. is this true? (even so then i guess it would still be worth it to have another browser that could be used when my comp is being used). Wink

The 3.0 version of QIII? There is only one version of QIII for Dreamcast; and it's fully compatible online with the BBA. So I'm assuming that you mean planetweb 3.0, which is a web browser. Yes, in order to web browse through broadband, you will need PW 3.0, Dream PassPort 3.0 (a JP browser), or XDP. PW 3.0 can usually be found on eBay for about 22-30 bucks (there's one on eBay right now). XDP can be downloaed at the Psilocybin Dreams website. DreamPassPort can be found on eBay sometimes, but in general, it's harder to find. Your best bet is XDP for broadband webbrowsing.
Posted:
Tue May 18, 2004 7:08 pm
quote : #7
yes planetweb 3.0 was what i was referring to the name had slipped my mind. i will see what i can do once i get a bba.

runamok*77*
rank 4
Posted:
Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:46 am
quote : #8
Tao wrote:
Yes, it is possible to play F355 online in the US--unfortunately, there is no broadband support; meaning that using a broadband adapter will NOT work. The game is run through a CGI script, and it doesn't run in real-time head to head support. Instead, you pick the track you would like to race on, wait for other players to join, and, after they have joined, you race by yourself on the track you chose. After doing so, you have the ability to view a 'replay' of all of the racers on the same track together (since each person drove individually originally, cars might go through each other on the replay).

You can also visit the F355 homepage and download ghosts of other racers who have uploaded theirs. You can view in depth driving data on their ghosts too; it's mad helpful for beginners to the game. Watch out though, a lot of the top spots are held by Nazo drifters (where people use a steering wheel glitch to defy physics, 'nazo' means 'mysterious' in Japanese), which is basically cheating. Confused

Question
So is the PAL version of this game better? I was also wondering if a DC B/B adapter for 80 bucks is a good deal?
Posted:
Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:13 pm
quote : #9
I don't think the PAL version of F355 is any better. As far as I can tell, the European, Japanese, and US versions of this game are pretty much the same, except for the TV formatting. All network together into the same race pool, and I think all of them have the hidden link cable option on the selection menu (press X+Y).

The easiest thing to do is to simply get the correct version for your region. That way, you shouldn't experience any connectlvity problems. Hopefully, the game will remain online for quite some time.

How are my little crackers doing today?
runamok*77*
rank 4
Posted:
Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:19 pm
quote : #10
Twisted Evil Thanks
Posted:
Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:30 am
quote : #11
well how can I set my nickname in F335.... I set my nick before Im going online, but when Im in the race I drive ever as a noname. What do I have 2 do?