Page 1 of 1
circ
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:49 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi

I was wondering if the dreamcast had any raceing games where u like get chased by cops or something like that e.g. proper street racing?

CIRC

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:03 am
quote : #2
test drive 6 has cop chases and shit but the best street racing games on dc are the tokyo highway challenge games and msr.
Posted:
Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:22 am
quote : #3
Cheers mate. I think i might get MSR and Tokyo. deffently going to get F335 just to play online...do you play it?

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:41 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
By Tokyo Highway Battle do you mean Tokyo eXtreme Racer? I could have sworn the only THB game I've ever seen was on the PS.

Anyway, TXR is pretty cool. All street racing, although not like NFS: Underground. It's all one giant highway system, and you drive around and search for racers from rival car gangs. It did the whole cosmetic customization thing years before Underground did. The only knock I have aginst the game is (at least in TXR2, I've never played the first) the city background is parallaxed, which looks a little weird.

I remember playing Test Drive 6 on the DC. I found a supid-easy way to get tons of free cash by cloning your cars, if you're interested. None of the cars really look like the real ones, but it's a fun arcadey type game. The frame-rate hiccups a bit in certain levels, but it's not a real annoyance. Their are both circuit tracks, and point to point races (I prefer point to point), which is cool. The cop races are pretty fun, too. The levels are extremely varied, cool looking, and most of them feature alternate routes and shortcuts. The "All Units" A.I. of the cops that is hyped on the back of the case is pretty lame. You won't have a problem avoiding them three or four cop cars per level, and you can turn cops and traffic off if you want a more "pure" arcade experience. Just don't go into it expecting BurnOut on the Dreamcast, and you'll be fine.

I've never played MSR (Project Gotham Racing Zero, essentially), but I've heard nothing but good from those who have.

circ
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:40 am
quote : #5
that does sound a lil silly just playing offline then sticking them online Sad doesnt sound as much fun now i wish it was a proper racing each other game than jsut your results. Are there any racing games where you face each other. i heard about 4x4 is still online but is it possible even in the slightest way that other dreamcast racing games can be played online if you made your own server or something using Comview?

CIRC

DatBoyScrooge
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:16 pm
quote : #6
which game would you guys suggest?

tokyo extreme racing or tokyo extreme racing 2?
rank 33
Posted:
Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:15 pm
quote : #7
DatBoyScrooge wrote:
which game would you guys suggest?

tokyo extreme racing or tokyo extreme racing 2?

Overall, Tokyo Extreme Racer 2 is a better game than the first entry. The graphics and physics have been improved slightly, and the menu and customization systems have been improved. However, the original Tokyo Extreme Racer has an advantage of it's own over the sequel - 2 player head-to-head racing. 2 player racing was removed from Tokyo Extreme Racer 2 due to frame rate issues (the games both run at 60 fps), so it was pulled. The Tokyo expressways depicted in the game are surprisingly accurate as well, and the game offers the most car models and detail on Dreamcast.

If you want head-to-head racing with your friends, I would suggest picking up the first one. If you are primarily going to use single player stuff, pick up 2 - it has a much bigger Quest mode, and a bit more refinement. Unfortunately, Tokyo Extreme Racer 2 seems to be a little difficult to come by, so the price tends to be a bit higher than most DC games. It is still one of my favorite racing games though, and it is the original series to offer underground street racing and customization.

How are my little crackers doing today?
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:17 pm
quote : #8
yeah man sorry i keep forgetting most of you here are from the us, as far as im concerned its tokyo highway challenge ok!!!! Mr. Green anyway yes thats what i meant, and there both pretty good but like you say its no need for speed underground. i prefer the second one. me and a mate completed the first one and we kinda creamed our selves when we heard there was a second one so when we got it we were peeeed of that it had no 2 player but we just ended up taking turns on challenging the rivals. its got excellent graphics but the physics engine can really piss you off if your not careful. it can also come in handy. cos some of the walls and scenary you have to pass are quite easy to hit if your in a duel and you run head long into a partition thing (like for an off ramp or for a tunnel) then you stop dead in your tracks and loose loads of health. the only other thing is that if your oponent is up your ass and makes it thru you'll never see them again and will lose the race. the good thing is you can use it to your advantage if you hit the wall the oponent sometimes follows you into it and they loose more hp than you meaing if you can get going you'll win quite easily! Wink
Posted:
Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:34 pm
quote : #9
Type: NTSC-U/C
I do really like the whole "life bar" thing. I think it was original and inventive. Having a specific start/finish point in TXR/THB wouldn't really work anyway, as the game is so nonlinear in the opponents you face and where/when you decide to face them. I dig it.

It does have a surprisingly large amount of "ass rock" music for a non Sega racing game though, which is kinda wierd. (Listen to the Sega Rally 2 and Sega GT games if you don't know what ass rock is).

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:18 pm
quote : #10
Yeah, they fixed the ass rock for Tokyo Extreme Racer 2. They flipped it to a total house beat / techno sound that is a ton better.

Man, I forgot how much I love that game. I'll have to go pop it in tonight! Cool

How are my little crackers doing today?