Topic: chaosfield!!!

Page 1 of 1
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:50 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
hey guys. 2 things, today i got chaosfield, which has really made my christmas complete. to be honest when i saw the package from liksang i assumed it was my new vga but when i got home i found chaos field, and boy oh boy does it live up to my expectations of an ikaruga homage.

second today marks my passing of the 200 point, worms armageddon seems to be working on/off so im counting that one making 199, and today i got aerowings and chaosfield so happy 200th dc game to me!!! (2001 if you want to be picky but you know what i mean) it was my new years resolution to have 200+ by 2005 and i did it baby!!!

anyway back to chaosfield, holy shit what a game, the music is awesome and the graphics are great. but the neatest thing is the controls, by far the most inovative i've seen since ikaruga. its just excellent, and even on easy its hard as nails cos you start off with 2 credits and can only up the number of hits your shield can take from 1-5. the game has an extend feature which is very unforgiving, when you get 8million points (far as i can figure) you get a life or 1 shield hit is restored, and this is the most generous extend mode of the 4 available, the 4th being none!!! either way its tough and thats the fun, im really trying hard to learn the tricks. the sword removes a large number of bullets from your path but not all and you can lock on with the swords as well as shoot, and theres 3 ships to choose from. what a game, the only downside is the lack of modes and no multiplayer but i strongly urge any dreamcast gamer with an exploder/gameshark (seeing as its japanese format, you will need these if you are in the uk like me, and US i think) to buy this game right away from liksang (free postage baby!!) i got it in less than a week and it came with a tokyo sneak peak demo disc and a free 10th aniversary sonic adventure 2 gold coin!!! get it guys and encourage other companies to make games on our beloved white box!!! theres plently life left under her hood yet!!!!

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Posted:
Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:56 pm
quote : #2
The game looks way more like Radiant Silvergun then Ikaruga.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:55 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
First of all not trying to rain in on anyone's parade here, so take my comments as they are:
ultrapro wrote:
...boy oh boy does it live up to my expectations of an ikaruga homage.

But the game isn't a homage to Ikaruga. Chaos Field has nothing to do with the Ikaruga.

ultrapro wrote:
...the most inovative i've seen since ikaruga.

You need to see/play more shooters.

---

UltraPro I know your a huge fan of Ikaruga. I understand that "for you" Ikaruga is the end all solution for a shooter and you hold every other shooter you play to this game(atleast thats how your comments come off as). But the game is by no means a benchmark for the shootemup genre. " If " you havn't seen more of whats out there, then you should broaden your horizons some. (However I understand in part what you are saying Ultrapro, so if Chaos Field is giving you as a gamer the best gameplay experience that you've had since your favorite shooter, then that is a very good thing.)

Chaos Field in and of itself is a game that will carve a nitch and name for itself, and will solidify Milestone as a shootemup developer. The game is not 'that' innovative though. Many games before it have used boss battles as a primary focus of the gameplay experience. Chaos Field really doesn't come close to Ikaruga's level of polish.

The one company today consistantly pushing the envelope in the shootemup genre is none other than, Cave.

SirSolBadguy wrote:
The game looks way more like Radiant Silvergun then Ikaruga.

It's niether. The game is 'Chaos Field' plain and simple. It borrowed no graphical elements from Radient Silvergun or Ikaruga. In-fact the ship designs are entirely original, and are only native to the game for which they were created for. Chaos Field.
Posted:
Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:19 pm
quote : #4
I was only refering to the sword mechanics nikon. Jesus.

Anyways, got some cd-r's. Played it. So far it is a little dull. Maybe on par with Border Down.

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:35 am
quote : #5
i didnt mean an homage literally its just that ikaruga got me into the genre and nothing has touched it as yet. but as you said i do compare the shoot em up genre to ikaruga because its just simply the best imo. how can you say its not a bench mark?? granted its probably similar to radiant silvergun and such but its an insult to say that ikaruga is nothing short of awesome. i didnt mean it looked like or played like ikaruga i simply meant that its a nice refreshing addition to the shootem up genre. i have played plenty of shoot em ups, granted i havent seen many from decades ago that people hold up as legendary but i have near enough every good shooter on dc and have played a few others here and there that i couldnt possible remember the name of. i own:

gunbird 2
bangai o
giga wing
giga wing 2
zero gunner 2
mars matrix
ikaruga
chaos field
shikigami no shiro 2
psyvariar 2
sol feace

and i have played many in arcades and such so i think im in a pretty good position to say that ikaruga is brilliant mabye the best and for me its the best game ever, unfortunately theres nothing wrong with that. i appreciate that there are more out there but until i have a couple hundred quid to try rs im stickin to my guns. and chaos field is a bit simple but its by no means dull, try the other ships they are all very unique and the game is bloody difficult. its a great addition to the dc's library of shooters and buying it will encourage milestone and possibly others to make more games, maybe of different genres in years to come. this is all i wanted to say, people should support the dreamcast by buying games that are of the quality that chaos field is, especially since we will probably not have another game on dc for a while.

Posted Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:48 am:

oh, and i take it you've played chaosfield then nikon right?
Posted:
Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:36 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
ultrapro wrote:
oh, and i take it you've played chaosfield then nikon right?

Yes.

not gonna argue. SO tired of it.