Page 1 of 1
JoMusashi
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:27 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hey all

I just got Blue Stinger today, still sealed and all but the game will not start up on both my DCs. the DC logo screen comes up and then freezes for a bit and then goes to the menu screen (file/music etc). I had the same problem with bought-sealed Grandia II but while it won't load on one of my DCs it works on the other. Was Blue Stinger one of those launch games that had a loading problem with it? The store I got it from (walmart) only has Blue Stinger left, so I suppose I could get a replacement easily enough...I just have a feeling that the same thing'll happen with another copy. I live in Canada so this is all North American stuff I'm talking about here.

Check out my music:

http://www.myspace.com/sabuthejungleboy
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:24 pm
quote : #2
well my copy has worked on every machine i has owned, forgetting that its now very old and scratched. i think its that old chestnut where some older games dont work on the newer dreamcasts. if not that then maybe its a manufacturer problem. im having the same exact problem with worms armageddon except that i live in the uk. both copies i bought have a strange mark that cant have been caused by the machine as its a perfect circle that isnt a scratch but a mark in the data.
Posted:
Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:36 pm
quote : #3
I've read that some games shippped from the factory got a film on the underside that would keep it from playing. The guide said to dip the GDROM in boiling water for a few seconds and it would solve the problem. When I ordered Planetweb 2.62 from Sega, it didn't work. I tried the boiling method and it didn't help, (didn' t hurt it either), so I returned it to Sega for another one. You can try doing this, or try rubbing some car wax on it or something. If it works, great... if it doesn't, you can still always exchange it.
Posted:
Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:34 pm
quote : #4
hmm...could be either one of these reasons. Excalibur, for this boiling thing we're talking like a very short amount of time, right? otherwise I'd think the heat would warp the disc? and about the car wax...is that something that will remove the film?

IIRC there was like 10 more copies there that have been there forever so if it comes down to it I have a lot of replacements to go through Razz

Check out my music:

dcq3forever
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:48 pm
quote : #5
Hi, I remember a wide spread problem with some of the US launch Dreamcast games. The problem was with defective disks. It mainly affected games such as Sonic Adventure, and Blue Stinger. So there's a slight chance you got one of the defective disks. A few years ago there were websites that had serial numbers so that people could check the serial number on their Blue Stinger disk to find out if it was defective, then people could contact Activision and they sent them a new disk. I doubt there's any of those websites still around, and Activision certainly won't send you a new disk, as they probably have none by now.

If you do some searching maybe you might get lucky and find one of the old websites that has the list of serial numbers for the defective disks, then you would know for certain if you had one. I couldn't find any, but here's a few old links discussing the disk problems.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/18882/18882.html

http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/070/070265p1.html

I also found this old tip to make the game work if you got the defective disk, I don't know if it will actually work for you but it's worth a try.

-------------------------------------------------------
How to Solve Problem with Defective Games
If you have one of the games that have problems starting up and you want to play it before you return it simply start the Dreamcast without a game inserted. Once the main menu loads insert the game and choose the first option (play-run the game) to start the game. You may have to do this twice but it will work
-------------------------------------------------------

Good Luck.

JoMusashi
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:45 pm
quote : #6
Thanks for the links!

I tried the "use play command" but it doesn't work, the DC just says "please insert game disc".

I found some info regarding the defective serial #s:

"It seems that a small number of GD-ROMs were stamped on defective material. However, since the defects seem to be near the outside of the ROM, some games may actually load without appearing to be defective until the player actually starts to get into the game.

There are numerous reports of players returning Sonic Adventure, Blue Stinger, Ready to Rumble, NFL 2000, and Hydro Thunder.

Sega is aware of these defects, and suggests customers take a close look at their GD-ROMs and check to make sure the serial numbers aren't in the 92__ range, as these were stamped at the plant and durring the time that most of the defects seem to have occured. "

http://www.tagor.com/news/?1999-9

I looked at the Blue Stinger disc and there is indeed a serial that has the sequence "92" in it. It's in very small type and is on the translucent plastic part (the part that sits on the spindle). It reads "IFPI 92S5". There is also a set of numbers/letters on the silver part of the disc just before the data starts, written backwards: "%BLUESTINGER Z9809O". Which one of these is the serial number I am looking for? I assume it's the smaller one, but just to be sure...if any of the replacements don't work it'd be good to know why. Hopefully I'll get a working copy when I make the exchange but if not , I'd like to be able to explain why I'm returning a game for the 5th time (or whatever number it is before I lose patience Very Happy ) and want to get something else.

Thanks to everyone who replied! It may seem pointless to some to try and get a game running that is not even necessarily considered "good"...but the severe drought of DC software in my neck of the woods means I don't really want to pass up on a new, sealed game that only costs $14 CDN anyway. Well maybe $14 is a little too much for Blue Stinger...but it balances out the new, sealed PSO v2 and Grandia II I got for $5 each. And I never actually did get to play this game back in 1999 for whatever reason (probably didn't have money at the time).

Check out my music:

circ
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:41 pm
quote : #7
i didnt like it AT ALL but some people enjoyed it and it got alrite reviews. Anyways im willing to sell the game to ya for £5 dont know what that is in Dollars (less than $10 i think) but yeah if you want it shout for it lol my email is circ_uk@yahoo.co.uk

Circ

[...edited by admin...]

CONTACT ME VIA PM OR EMAIL IF YOU WANT TO TALK TO ME
JoMusashi
rank 6
Posted:
Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:35 pm
quote : #8
I've gone thru 5 discs now and they're all stamped "92XX" so they must all be from the defective batch. I've lost interest in wanting to try the game now, so...tomorrow I'll have to see about exchanging it for something else entirely, like a CD or DVD. Hope I don't get to much hassle over an opened game Confused

Check out my music: