Page 1 of 2
mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:29 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
just wanting to know wiether its in english as i have heard that the dc version is in japanese with english subtitles.
unknown
Posted:
Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:03 am
quote : #2
correct, it is in japanese with english subtitles, the xbox version has been dubbed over but i actually found the dc version more authentic really. much better subtitles. just like jackie chan movies. i cant watch them dubbed in english.
Posted:
Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:54 pm
quote : #3
I agree. I'm a big Shenmue fan, and I found that the original Japanese voice acting is waaay better than the cheesy English voiceovers. Having the original Japanese with subtitles provided for a much more immersive experience.

I didn't realize the XBox version of Shenmue II was translated to English. Was the voice acting any better than the original Shenmue on Dreamcast? Just curious.

How are my little crackers doing today?
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:23 pm
quote : #4
oh no dont get me wrong i thought the dubbing for shenmue 1 was good enough i just wouldnt want to play shenmue 2 thru in english if i had the choice of japanese as we said its more authentic. i wont swear to it being in english but im 99% sure it was dubbed over. never heard it tho as i had it on dc 2 years ago i saw no point in buying it again on xbox.
Posted:
Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:33 am
quote : #5
ive been playing on the xbox version recently and from what ive heard so far the voice acting has been better than shenmue 1 but maybe thats because there is a larger variety of accents than in the first one.
i dont see how japanese is more authentic for shenmue 2 wouldnt it be more realistic if they spoke chinese as they are in china
unknown
Posted:
Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:11 am
quote : #6
you know what i mean. japanese chinese i unfortunately dont know the differences between them, does anyone know what one of the 2 they speak in shenmue 2? im not sure but isnt ryo from japan? i take it he travels to china dont know which language they used in the games tho personally. i just think its more authentic for a game or film to be subtitled with the original language. except anime, i hate subtitled anime unless its a really high quality one like hayao miyazaki. spirited away was wonderful subtitled but pixar did an amazing dub job on it and i always watch laputa tottoro and princess mononoke in english cos their done so well.
Posted:
Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:02 pm
quote : #7
The language in Shenmue II is Japanese, and he travels to Hong Kong not China Razz
rank 16
Posted:
Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:13 pm
quote : #8
Hazaki wrote:
The language in Shenmue II is Japanese, and he travels to Hong Kong not China Razz

Which is an amusing plot hole. One of the quests in Shenmue 1 was to find someone who can read and speak Chinese. In Shenmue 2, he travels to the Chinese speaking Hong Kong and Ryo no longer needs a translator because they all speak his native tongue.

Either the entire country learned Japanese while he was on the boat, or he learned Chinese.

Joy isn't bouncy enough.
Posted:
Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:21 pm
quote : #9
Hmm, well I am 99% sure it is Japanese. I am half-Japanese so I should know really but I haven't played the game in a few years Confused

Edit : yeah it is, just double checked.
rank 44
Posted:
Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:36 am
quote : #10
Hazaki wrote:

i think you'll find that hong kong is under chinese rule and plus doesnt he go to the mainland later on in the game?
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:27 pm
quote : #11
Hazaki wrote:

Um.... Last time I checked Hong Kong was in China. Razz...
Posted:
Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:00 pm
quote : #12
mcmonkey: Shenmue 2 takes place in 1987, Hong Kong was under British rule back then. That's funny, it'd have made more sense to have the second game dubbed to English! Razz
Posted:
Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:15 am
quote : #13
Stormwatch wrote:
mcmonkey: Shenmue 2 takes place in 1987, Hong Kong was under British rule back then. That's funny, it'd have made more sense to have the second game dubbed to English! Razz

yeah i know it was i was wanting to see how long it would take for somone to notice Rolling Eyes its quite funny you dont realy see anything that realy points out that its under british rule
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:11 pm
quote : #14
Bah, it's as much of a "plot hole" as Shenmue 1 dubbed in English Very Happy Everyone wants their games in their own language if possible regardless of the locale within the game. Incidentally Joy does speak Chinese to Ryo in a scene then switches back to Japanese, showing that everyone in the country has that bi-lingual capability. Rolling Eyes
Posted:
Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:14 pm
quote : #15
As a side note, here's an interesting interview with Yu Suzuki, the creator and director of the Shenmue series, that I ran across. It's very informative and pretty funny at times.

http://tokyopia.com/tk/archives/000100.php

"big hooters" Razz

How are my little crackers doing today?