Page Location: Home > Past Online Games > Topic
circ
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:51 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Its a massive shame that alot of the games went offline. I thought it was just about 5, maybe a couple were good, but then going back to the online game list OMG there were so many. It must of been sooo awesome then! I wish I got involved earlier. My dreamcast plays imports/cd-r's so I could of played the american games with no problem!!!! All I wish is that Sega/the comapanies involved would open them back up and put a price on it (remember companies have to make money) say like Xbox live does for a year well with Dreamcast I wouldn't mind paying £30 a year for all the games back up...think bout it £30 aint that much but if alot of us signed up then they would be rolling in the cash lol.

Or if they wont do that i just wish they would hand it over or sell it! Its a shame with these companies they are soo tight and Loyal Customers really do come last they just hand the services to other companies who are willing to pay for it instead of thinking about the actual people who actually care and really kept it alive for as long as it could. If it werent for us going on-line with it there would be NO Service after 2 months of release of the on line ability! .....ok thats my moan over im just gutted really!

CONTACT ME VIA PM OR EMAIL IF YOU WANT TO TALK TO ME
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:56 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yep so many great games. You'd be even more sad had you actually played some of them online, like UT, Outtrigger or Ooga Booga. Man I sometimes almost spaz out reflecting back on the good times I had with those games online. UT isn't as bad because that game can still be played online on the PC, however Outtrigger and Ooga Booga were sega dreamcast exclusives. I can't play those online at all..............ever again. Such a shame.

The games won't come back online by sega. They have moved on and many people have been moving on as well. People are changing jobs and such and the companies are changing as well.

It's like a bottle of mustard and ketchup have now been merged into 1 larger container. Getting sega to put these games back online is like trying to un-merge a bottle of ketchustard. Highly unlikly, near impossible.

However it is still good to talk about and play these games on Dreamcast. Because many of these games were specifically designed to be online. Outtrigger and Ooga Booga for instance were not offline games with the Option of online play. Network competition was the sole reason for the games even being made. Outtrigger was developer for the arcades as a networked arcade FPS with multiple machines networked together. Ooga Booga was specifically design to be another multiplayer online game for seganet at a budget price.

So there is a bit of magic there I think.
Posted:
Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:40 am
quote : #3
Type: PAL
wasnt UT hosted by gamespy?
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:06 am
quote : #4
What did you have to do on ooga booga online like what type of game was it?

CONTACT ME VIA PM OR EMAIL IF YOU WANT TO TALK TO ME
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:13 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
mcmonkey wrote:
wasnt UT hosted by gamespy?

UT was hosted by gamespy, and infact still is. The master server still works. Cept the list is dead empty because of course the servers were taken offline. However UT's network model was exactly like Quake 3 Arena. Where you had a master list and then dedicated servers running on PC hardware would populate the list. Games could not be hosted from the Dreamcast. But in UT's case, the servers were all run by sega. We don't even know what software was used whether a modification of the PC version or an entirely new software coded by the developers.

circ wrote:
What did you have to do on ooga booga online like what type of game was it?

Ooga Booga is a 4 player online game. You chose between various witch doctors and were trying to appease the god "ooga booga". It was a 3rd person perspective action game where you are trying to score points by beating your other opponent with various spells and such. Maps consist of islands. On the islands are trees which grow shrunken heads. You gather these and toss them at other players. Also you can smack them with your staff.

The raw DM mode is called smackahuna. However there are other modes. Such as Boar Polo. Which is like soccer with a huge ass boulder and 2 goals. It's 2 on 2. The map has boars on it and spells and such. These matches online could last for an hour easy. Very very very competative.

Another mode, rodeo was where you score points for hitting opponents while on the boar.

The game has unlockable masks, as well as unlockable characters like a big pirate, a little leprahcan, and even Abe Lincoln! Abe even has this, insanely homo-erotic taunt. Speaking of taunts, when you win a match you can taunt your opponents. Each character would have a taunt. For instance Hoodoo says "Bow down I rule!" and Fatty will bend over and smack his ass going "Awwe yea check me out!" or "The fatman's in the house!"

The game worked like many other seganet games, running on segasnap and tied into the US community website. Your sega.com account worked the same as your ooga booga account. You login and are presented with a regional selection screen, choosing a city location you live close to, and then join a lobby within that server. The game online featured a very small chat window, very similar to starlancer. However it was just large enough to have a discussion in. I remember playing with Mytho on there and talking with him about games for an extremly long time. After an hour had gone by we both just freaked out going "WHY are we talking in this insanely small window!!...it's so small!!!" Was pretty funny.

Ooga Booga is one of the best multiplayer games I have ever played on the Dreamcast. It has offline 4 player support. And the split screen works SUPERB! I highly recommend buying this game if you have buds to come over and play with. Regardless the game is worth playing even by yourself. It has a similar single player experience as Q3 and UT where it's basically just a ladder of matches ranging through the various game modes and such.

This is one of my favorite dreamcast games of all time.
Posted:
Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:01 pm
quote : #6
lordnikon wrote:

Ooga Booga is one of the best multiplayer games I have ever played on the Dreamcast. It has offline 4 player support. And the split screen works SUPERB! I highly recommend buying this game if you have buds to come over and play with. Regardless the game is worth playing even by yourself. It has a similar single player experience as Q3 and UT where it's basically just a ladder of matches ranging through the various game modes and such.

This is one of my favorite dreamcast games of all time.

I've been meaning to try Ooga Booga for quite some time, and your review convinced me to give it a go. I just picked a brand new sealed copy up for $7.01, including shipping.

Now, I just need to park my lawn chair next to the mailbox, and I'll be all set. Cool

How are my little crackers doing today?
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:53 pm
quote : #7
yep ooga booga is a legendary game, i love twitchy the best his high pitch taunts are such comic genius i can never stop laughing when i see them. speaking of taunts nikon you know when playing smacka kahuna or what ever you call it can we the player 1 taunt during the match? cos i always here hoodoo taunting twitchy or fatty shouting at hoodoo but i cant figure out how to get twitchy to say stuff during play.