Page 1 of 1
Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:16 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: Pal
What are your DC magic moments. Magic moments, if your in the UK you may remember the corny Quality street adverts with the Magic monets song lol. Anyway heres mine.

1: Connecting my DC online outa nothing more than curiosity. Id never been on the web before and I got a message saying the first call was free so I had a quick look round then went to pick up the Mrs from work leaving the DC connected. I wanted to show her the magical internet but of course it auto dc'd lol.

2: My first ever online game. Connecting to the internet made me realy curious about the whole DC online stuff so a while later I tried Chu Chu online. I never became hooked on this game like others did but it opened my eyes to online gaming and I wanted more. This musta been more than 4 years ago now and I remember still to this day my first ever online game was on chu chu against leeboy 3 and I lost 2-1

3: Dreamarena. Although curiosity had been set about online games I got hooked on Dreamarena, sega europes original online dc service. I originaly posted on the messaage boards in topics such as Feugans ( he ran psoquest but had dreamarena roots like me ) amazing facts. My own best topic was Mrmimes ( my original name ) bizare deaths and accidents board. I then got into chat where I made some amazing friends most of whom have now dissapeard but I met one that IM still in contact with.

4: Planet ring. I never played this but I watched my Mrs play it. Wow voice talk via a DC I was amazed. My Mrsd and another guy called Ratpack held the highest ever score on Dreamdorobo, it was unbeaten til the sever went down.

5: Watching my Mrs play SDO online on the servers first day up ( Pal ). We had the original game and my Mrs ( Thefreek ) didnt lose a game for ages with her extra track knowledge. Seeing everyone online all with desert 55's and no cheats was a classic day. I never got into this game online til later cus I couldent wrestle the dc off her lol.

6: Q3 online. I had this game on release day but didnt go online for a few weeks. Friends I knew from Dreamarena chat also had this game and I was actulay nervous about going online in case I showed my self up lol. Discoverd they were all as bad as me Smile this was the first game I played in any depth online.

7: PSO V1. Enought has been said about pso over the years, I'll keep this short. First day online seeing all those people was mind blowing compared to all other dc games. Hundreds of hours of fun followed.

8: Bomberman online. MY fave DC online game of all time. I played this originaly with mates who over time left and then I made new mates and then new mates and then new mates cus I just played this game forever and a day. I was even on this game at 05.30am on the day I was married. I personaly am 99% certain that I played more BMO online for DC than any one else in the world, a bit sad but probably true. Im 99% certain of this because I was on nearly everyday and I saw who else was on and also spent 20-30-40-60 mins a day waiting for people to connect. I was also on from the beggining of the server to the very end.

9: PBA bowling. Wow a new DC game and now on Pal format too. An unreleased game online too good to be true, creating a whole new dc online chapter. Realy enjoyed my online time on this game before the server went. Glad I got to experience it.

OK well those are my DC magic moments. Yes ther are game I missed such as Ooga booga, wsb2k2, WWP and AFO but I was actulay trying to think of times where I experienced something new. I had fun on all the games but above is a list of unique moments in time for me with DC online. My MRS having the highest ever score on Dreamdorobo ( Part of the planet ring game ) and myself having the most ever hours of anyone on BMO ( IMO ) makes me feel I have a part of DC online history that is unique to me Smile , either that or Im a sad case lol.

Anyway look forward to hearing yours.

Laters
Posted:
Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:23 am
quote : #2
hi related to my best moments on the dreamcast I have a really good one . In the beginning of february 2005
I started playing pso online and now am really addicted to it . Its reallyfun and u never know whos goning to be online .
also I keep having freat moments as since the new year I have been buying games I never played and now look forward to play them all .
thanks for hearing me out

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:07 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Here are some of my favorite gaming moments from Dreamcast Online, in no particular order:

Playing Ooga Booga with TheMytho and some others on the night before June 19th 2003. It was the last time we played the game online, we were up very very late into the night. In-fact that week we played the game almost non-stop. Not only that but, I have to remember and he would have to come along and verify this...I believe someone named MasterFrick..aka got-rice? from quake 3 also showed up that night.

A few memorable PSO moments:
A bad moment in PSO v1 is after my first 3 days of playing online I got corrupted from Oberon 01 lobby 01. I was level 22. Lesson learned, don't idle in Oberon. I re-created my character and leveled him from 1-100 without any corruptions or item loss simply by gaming with legits and friends.

My level to 100 on US pso v1. I leveled my character online the saturday night before PSO went offline in the US. I was playing with Koda and Grubensau. I took a snapshot of it. It was an amazing experience and I am glad we all took part in it and got my snapshot, since it is a great memory.

Playing late at night with a guy named Bristecom. It was late on a weekend we played and chatted it up for like 4-6 hours. Talking about stuff and leveling up.

Many of the summertime PSO sessions I scheduled during the Summer of 2003. I remember people such as frokid879, AC/DC and others who I played afternoon games with as I was scheduling games to take advantage of PSO while it was still online. Not only this, but AC/DC eventually became one of my main game partners on the GC version of PSO. He has gone awol lately ever since the juno-test isp went down as it was his only way to play online. I hope to see him return someday.

Booting up Dreamcast UT for the first time in January of 2003, and watching it sign online with kontact at my house. Then the following weekend playing Unreal Tournament online with kontact. It was big fun and we had a blast.

A sad sad moment, is when I was a Dreamcast Online newbie. It was early on shortly before I had just started this website. Hehe my knowledge has grown over time, so at one time I was an idiot when it came to certain thing. Hey, people learn. So anyways, I had downloaded a backup of POD Speedzone. I booted it up and there was fuzzy lines all over the screen and it looked goofy. I didn't understand. I re-booted it up again, and again and again. Finally I just gave up. I toss the game in the TRASHHHHHHHHHH <<< OMFG. Then I DELETED the iso off my harddrive <<<DOUBLE OMFG. All you european gamers are sitting here probobly laughing at me now. "Nikon you dimwit, that was the hertz screen, you just had to go to options and change to 60htz!!!" Well I had the game in my hands while it was still online and because of my lack of knowledge at the time, and myself not acquiring the game until after it was online...I never got to play POD Speedzone online...ever. It is one of my biggest regrets. Embarassed

And who can forget, Worms World Party. I showed up to a lot of games against WormyTheWorm and crew. He really whooped my ass, however I loved watching him play because I would learn things from him. I actually played Worms World Party online quite a bit when it was online, more so than other online games at the time. When wormy was scheduling games I knew when they were around and tried to make it a habbit to support and show up. It was some fun times and something I will never forget.

Playing Bomberman Online for about a month against got-rice? and company. It was good times and to all those I met on there, chatted with and got schooled in Bomberman Online, thank you. It was a truly enjoyable experience.

Quake 3 Arena Online on a session of Fraggin Fridays with RobJohnson and lanzarlaluna. We were up very late into the night and were chatting and fragging. Talking about life, and playing some intense Quake 3. It was a really great game session.

Finally my most memorable moments on Dreamcast Online were on Outtrigger. Every week for about 6 months I played Outtrigger. On weekends, specially Fridays and Saturdays I was on this game. The most memorable experience is when it all started. It was a saturday night in Febuary. About a month after I first got into Dreamcast online. I had downloaded a copy of Outtrigger and finally was about to check out this FPS I had looked at so many screenshots of and drooled over. I sign online, and to my amazement there are PEOPLE ONLINE! 2 people! I go into the lobby, it was about 10:30 at night I distinctly remember the time and signing online. I login in, go to the 2 persons room, and say hello. These gamers reply with shock and amazement, "WOW! Another gamer! Hello!". These 2 gamers were Grubensau and Slayn.

(P.S. - Blast thank you for making this thread. It is very heart warming to start writing all of these things down and recording and also remember the memories. Time might have gone on and I might have started to forget some of these details. I am glad You made this thread since it gave me a chance and motivated me to sit down and start recording this kind of stuff. I think I am going to keep adding to this if I remember more memorable moments. This stuff is not only fun to write but also fun to read.)
Posted:
Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:02 pm
quote : #4
1. hearing from sega saturn magazine that the dc was on the way and that it would be incredible

2. getting my dc home and playing sonic adventure for the first time ever in my front room

3. getting the demo disc with all the previews for 2001 ie shenmue, grandia 2, stupid invaders, pso and many more. that disc gave me a wonderful tingle all over and still does everytime i watch the pso preview

4. getting pso online for the first time

5. getting odin to lvl 100

6. learning that in 2002 we would get pso ver 2 in the uk and buying it and playing it and loving it!!!

7. learning about online consoles and that a lot of dreamcast games were and are still online and that there is an amazing community growing online in rememberance of the dreamcasts glory days and what can still be done on it

8. getting ikaruga in late 2002 and realising that the dreamcast was without doubt the greatest console ever and that ikaruga changed my video game perspective and made me a better gamer.

9. learning that games are still being released on my wonderful dreamcast after ikaruga and being lucky enough to be able to afford them!

10. and last of all getting my collection of software up to 200 and my staggering amount of peripherals is still growing.
Posted:
Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:20 pm
quote : #5
lordnikon wrote:

Many of the summertime PSO sessions I scheduled during the Summer of 2003. I remember people such as frokid879, AC/DC and others who I played afternoon games with as I was scheduling games to take advantage of PSO while it was still online. Not only this, but AC/DC eventually became one of my main game partners on the GC version of PSO. He has gone awol lately ever since the juno-test isp went down as it was his only way to play online. I hope to see him return someday.

I still check out this site every so often even though I'm still offline. Smile

PSO would definitely be my number one memory and probably the most fun I've had with video games ever. I originally got the game without even the intentions of going online. After about 3 years I was playing online. I'm not too sure why I wanted to try to get online but I know that I must've spent 5+hrs trying to get online. I spent hours trying to get on with my AT&T ISP. I then got an e-mail saying that the ISP is not compatible with the Dreamcast. But I was able to find this site which got me a free ISP and I finally got online.

A gamesharker NOLed me the same night but it was still amazing(I had of course turned off my DC and just lost my weapons). Rolling Eyes I could go on and on about meeting new people and seeing others mysteriously vanish as well as all the fun I had when I was actually able to get a game going. But I'm just glad I got to play and I'm sure some of these memories are somewhere since Tweeg managed to take a good amount of pictures. Wink

I still remember logging on the last days when the servers were supposed to be down to find that people were still using gamesharks. A few days after that I was playing PSO GC online but it just wasn't the same. Don't get me wrong PSO GC is still one of my favorite games but it didn't have the Dreamcast feel to it. History repeats itself so I see myself getting back online with PSO GC when noone else is playing and gamesharkers litter the lobbies. I'm sure I'd still see Nikon there though.

I unfortunately missed out on many of the other online DC games. Yet I was able to get online with the 4X4 evolution demo and meet up with people like Chris who I was able to get in my first game of Outtrigger with. I actually only got to play Outtrigger about two times online, once with Grube. I then saw an Outtrigger game on the schedule. When I tried to log on that night I had found out that the servers had been taken offline.

There were some fun times in Quake III with some old PSO pals as well but I was usually getting shot to gibblets.

I hate having regrets but I must say that I really regret not getting online sooner than I had even though I had tried. I also regret not checking out the online features in most of my games. It's nice to see that even though a game wasn't online it had a link to the homepage.

Dreamcast online gaming was so enjoyable that even now I visit this website to see how the community is and to relive these great memories. Very Happy
Dream
Cast
darkooga
rank 19
Posted:
Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:24 pm
quote : #6
1.Back in june 10th, 2000 i got my 1st DC and monaco grand prix [the only game i could afford at the time.]

2.A few months later i pick up 4x4 evo for 39.99 new at gamestop and went online a couple a weeks later. To my amazement i saw around 50-60 people that night. I raced computer people all night even though i kept getting my butt kicked [damn modified trucks]. And kept playing all year. Then in 2003 i found this website and found out it was still online. So i scheduled a game and lordnikon, daman, and chris showed up [might be forgeting others]. And stayed playing pass midnight. Damn those were good times.

3.Is when i bought shenmue and shenmue 2 in early 2002 because of all the fuss about shenmue 2. So when i 1st played the game i was hooked and played those games each day non-stop for 10 hours. Thank you Yu Suzuki for making my favorite games and i hope you continue the series.
Posted:
Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:36 am
quote : #7
Without a doubt my number one moment was getting Daytona USA through the post. Now daytona USA has always been right up there with my favorite games ever since it hit the arcade in 1994. When I learnt that the dreamcast version would be online I creamed myself and waited for the months to tick away so I could buy it.

Then later on in the development sega europe announced that they would remove all online options with no decent explanation for this. I was ruined by that statement (lol maybe not that bad but still a big blow to a daytona nut like me)

So Daytona USA was the first title I ever imported in all my years of gaming. I learnt how to set up a custom ISP but I still did not know for sure if it would connect to USA servers or if my connection would be seriously laggy due to the distance. I paid £50 for that game ( Shocked ) but would have paid triple that due to the utter surprise of when I went online and got to play against other skilled daytona drivers and the game ran smooth as silk online I am pleased to say.

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:06 pm
quote : #8
Type: Pal
Thanks for replying all. I agree it is fun to read these Lordnikon, I just had a copulsion to write them down. Finding 10 mins to do it in was the hard bit. Hope to read some more.

Laters
Posted:
Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:45 pm
quote : #9
I had a magic moment last week.

I beat Virtua On: OT for the first time.