Topic: Newbie question about 4x4 Evo

Page 1 of 1
freshcut_t70
banned!
Posted:
Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:23 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I just picked up a copy of 4x4 Evo and would like to know a few things about the online part. Do you have to build a
truck before you can actualy give these guys any real competition or can you just join a game and pick a truck?
Do PC players have an unfair advantage even with a built-up truck? I have already registered with GameSpy but i
i have trouble downloading tracks, any advice?

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:08 pm
quote : #2
Type: Pal
I guess if your going to go online and just race anyone then you need a built up truck. PC users can have a better truck than you even if you have the best truck as they have cheats that make super impossible trucks. I dunno how many peopl are using that kinda thing but I know it can be done.

When me and segadreamcaster play we always use the same truck it the first truck on the list. Anyone racing us has to race that same truck or be booted.

Laters
Posted:
Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:24 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
You do not have to build a truck to race online. You can choose from a variety of class trucks and SUV's. This also depends on what the host has set in his/her game. Also if you are hosting a game you can disable custom trucks so that PC users cannot use their "hacked" trucks in your game. The developers knew this would happen and put in this certain feature. As a host you can limit users to choose a specific class vehicle when racing. This can all be administered while you are hosting the game session. Also people do have trouble downloading tracks for 4x4 EVO. Many are hosted on Free ISP's and sometimes don't allow certain people to download them. Not sure of a solution to that at the present time.
Posted:
Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:00 pm
quote : #4
I'm really keeping an eye out for this game. I want to get ahold of it pretty bad. I can't buy online quite yet, so I'm basically stuck waiting for someone to trade it in at work.

This info was helpful for me as well.

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:33 pm
quote : #5
lordnikon wrote:
You do not have to build a truck to race online. You can choose from a variety of class trucks and SUV's. This also depends on what the host has set in his/her game. Also if you are hosting a game you can disable custom trucks so that PC users cannot use their "hacked" trucks in your game. The developers knew this would happen and put in this certain feature. As a host you can limit users to choose a specific class vehicle when racing. This can all be administered while you are hosting the game session. Also people do have trouble downloading tracks for 4x4 EVO. Many are hosted on Free ISP's and sometimes don't allow certain people to download them. Not sure of a solution to that at the present time.

Yes you can indeed set restrictions but then you considerably lower your chances of getting a game. If someone has a custom truck or a hacked truck they normaly have it for one reason and thats cus they want to use it. Setting restrictions on 4x4 doesnt stop people entering your room and they will normaly hassle you to turn off the restrictions or set them the way they want them set. I stopped making 4x4 games in the main room as I was making locked games for me and segadreamcaster and constantly got PM's saying " unlock the room ". Why do they think I locked it in the first place?. 4x4 is inhabited 98% by long term players and they dont normaly want to use any old truck.

Not trying to put anyone off getting the game Im just stating the facts about how things are on theserver.

Laters
Posted:
Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:24 pm
quote : #6
Yea man that main room blows. And the people that actually administrate the 4x4 EVO master server are old people who force users to play by their rules. I hate the people that run the main room. It really baffles me how they got control of 4x4 EVO. I don't know if its the developers or what that run that. Maybe gamespy turned it over to fans. Regardless its a shame we can't even swear or curse in a new room. Some people have it embedded in their speech, and saying FUCK, SHIT or even ASS gets you booted by that bot, TronJr I think it's called.

Atleast once you actually make a game you can swear.

Yea whenever I am on I just make a new room, and then host a game within that room with a password on the game.

The PC and the DC users come from completly different worlds. The PC users use tracks specifically designed for modded trucks. Trucks designed to climb these unbelievably huge mountains and traverse insane tracks with otherworldly geometry. So for us to play on their tracks is impossible. You try and you just get stuck over and over and over again. Then if you make a game and set a normal course....they win automatically. They could race 2 laps in reverse, then turn around and still beat everyone. It's laughable.

And they refuse to not use their custom trucks?

Man I have NO problem playing with someone on a PC in 4x4 EVO when they are playing fare and using the same trucks as DC users. Then it's perfectly even. There really is ZERO difference in gameplay when each gamer is using the same class truck. Framerate, polys, shadows...etc etc arn't even an issue at all. It's dead even.

It's a shame that developers put in the ability to block off custom trucks, but then we get penalized because there are nazi's running the main room in that game.

I wonder if the poeple that run that room are just regulars. And that bot is probobly just from gamespy by default. Whatever, I guess they are free to run the channel they moderate however they want. All I know is I do not agree with how they run it. It's not very gamer friendly, as they are looking at things from a biased PC gamer perspective not taking into consideration custom trucks. They think leaving games unlocked should be standard so people should all get along. However they are turning a blind eye to the fact that PC users are coming into DC user games and just plain being rude.

It's like the police in a town are telling people, "You should leave your doors unlocked at night, people shouldn't have to lock their doors, this is a nice neighborhood." Then people start getting robbed, and they totally ignore it, because they are so stuck in their ways.

Anyways lol sorry for the rant. I kinda went all over the place with this reply.
Posted:
Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:33 pm
quote : #7
So trying to reason with the mods in 4x4 Evolution is a futile effort? Did you guys try explaining why you locked the room? Or would the Nazi mods just shrug it saying "Eff you, little DC nub. Our way, or the highway."

Oh yes. Why don't we rename the bot TronJr to NaziJr/HitlerJr? Seems pretty fitting to me. Neutral

-Mytho

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:42 pm
quote : #8
I dunno also if you noticed but when you create a new server a bot joins as well lol. Funny thing is the server creator cant see it only other people joining. If you swear it says please do not swear even though this is a private room. You actualy have to make a game room b4 the bot leaves you alone. Sopmetimes its Tron jr that joins the room sometimes its another.

Laters
Posted:
Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:48 pm
quote : #9
Blast wrote:
I dunno also if you noticed but when you create a new server a bot joins as well lol. Funny thing is the server creator cant see it only other people joining. If you swear it says please do not swear even though this is a private room. You actualy have to make a game room b4 the bot leaves you alone. Sopmetimes its Tron jr that joins the room sometimes its another.

Laters

The room creator can't see the bot?
Posted:
Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:31 am
quote : #10
yeah this is an awesome driving game, probably my favourite online dc game at the moment, i havent been on it in such a long time, im gonna arange a game of somekind soon cos i bloody love it but i dont mind what cars people use i have a fairly good spec ford truck but its not hacked and its not unbeatable by any long stretch of the imagination. i'll start pm'ing some of the guys who have this game to arange a racing evening one day soon.
Posted:
Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:54 pm
quote : #11
lordnikon wrote:
Blast wrote:

Laters

The room creator can't see the bot?

No, I guess so that then he/she cant boot it.

Laters
Posted:
Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:34 pm
quote : #12
I got permanently banned from Evo Main for hacking my exe to use my own server. hehe. Word of warning... don't ever do that! Laughing

I'll have to get a new ISP and Gamespy account now. Too bad I'll lose my buddy list.

-Ex
Posted:
Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:56 pm
quote : #13
Excalibur007 wrote:
I got permanently banned from Evo Main for hacking my exe to use my own server. hehe. Word of warning... don't ever do that! Laughing

I'll have to get a new ISP and Gamespy account now. Too bad I'll lose my buddy list.

-Ex

lol geez that sux dude. Laughing