Page 1 of 1
Mertens
rank 14
Posted:
Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:38 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I've been trying to play Starlaner online again for the past 6 weeks, with little success. I actually have the time to play the Friday games and start a Saturday game, but I can't get a dialup connection from where I live. I tried everything. I've settled on just migrating to phone lines that actually work, but stuff ALWAYS comes up. Every friday and saturday something really important comes up that can only be dealt with at the worst time. It's so frustrating. Then finally, yesterday on friday, I get a ride to my parents house for a weekend visit and to pick up some stuff I left (including my dreamcast). I get there at about 12:30, thirty minutes before the Friday Starlancer game and nobody is home. After eating some lunch, I set up my dreamcast (actually HAD MY BROWSER WITH ME!) and connected. To my surprise, I found a game with 5/6 players playing my favorite game, Nuke Threat. I jump in the game, grab a shroud......and when I get in.....everyone is about to leave to play PSO! It turns out....that in the UK (which is where the other players are from).......they switched their clocks foreward last weekend....so when I logged in.....they had already been playing for an hour......JUST MY LUCK. Can you imagine just how mind-boggling frustrated I was? After 6 weeks of yearning to play, and finding a nice open game with lots of players in my favorite mode.............God hates me.

Well, actually, a couple of people stayed on a little longer and played. It was still a lot of fun. I managed to set off the nuke a few times, so pretty.

Well, that's my rant. I feel better now.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:38 pm
quote : #2
Man, yea that sounds really frustrating. I recently got some more income from client work, and will be picking up an external 56k modem, and will be doing a survey soon on pc-dc modem over broadband for users here. Soon I should have a lot more info so the average person can get this method working. Then you can get on Starlancer a lot easier. That's the plan atleast.

Glad you atleast got a little nuke threat in.
Posted:
Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:02 pm
quote : #3
Woah, that sounds cool. I had thought about that before, but I wasn't sure if it were possible and I do not have the skills to investigate it. If you need more testers, I'll be happy to help. Right now I've got a Compaq laptop w/ AMD64 3000+ running Windows XP SP2. My modems are:

Agere Systems AC'97 Modem (56k)
Realtek RTL8139/910x Family Fast Ethernet NIC (broadband)

I've also got an internal wireless card. Not that it's very practical, but playing a dreamcast dial-up game on my laptop over wireless might just be the coolest thing ever. Haha, an idea just popped into my head. Every once and a while Nintendo stops by my campus and shows off some new Gamecube games. I could go down there with my laptop, dreamcast, and some sort of battery to power the DC and connect to Starlancer or the other online games via wireless. Then I could be like, "Look at this Gamecube! An online game! Sssssccccccaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrry! Look, I'm blowing up a guy in the UK, 9 hours away, for free! And now I'm chatting with players in PSO...the same PSO on your console!" I would continue to be an ass unitl they left Very Happy

On a side note, I've never tried it, but I hear you can connect a sprint cell-phone to a laptop via USB and use it as a modem to surf the internet.

Anyway, I have hopes of playing again next friday, maybe even saturday. Hopefully the Earth won't suddenly shift it's orbit and force us to change our clocks again. Daylight Savings Time always seems to screw me over. Oh well, gotta stay optimistic. At least I have a dreamcast, which is awesome offline as well.

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:18 pm
quote : #4
Mertens wrote:
Haha, an idea just popped into my head. Every once and a while Nintendo stops by my campus and shows off some new Gamecube games. I could go down there with my laptop, dreamcast, and some sort of battery to power the DC and connect to Starlancer or the other online games via wireless. Then I could be like, "Look at this Gamecube! An online game! Sssssccccccaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrry! Look, I'm blowing up a guy in the UK, 9 hours away, for free! And now I'm chatting with players in PSO...the same PSO on your console!" I would continue to be an ass unitl they left Very Happy

On a side note.

christ that is random Laughing Laughing Laughing and then you say "on a side note"... your luck seems pretty bad, but hey, at least you have the game (something i cannot say yet, i saw the game going for 15 bucks at a store but didn't know if that was a good deal so passed it up), and you'll get to try again w/ the scheduled games and all. good luck Smile