Page Location: Home > StarLancer > Topic
Maj. Whoopass
rank 1
Posted:
Mon May 02, 2005 2:51 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi, I was really excited to see that people still play Starlancer online! I've been dreaming of playing it online, but I don't have a clue of what I need to do to get online. Of course I have the Starlancer game and Dreamcast console. I own a Power Mac G3 computer (from around 1996 or so). I have OS 9.2. I have an insight broadband connection. I think I need to get an ISP? Or some kind of adaptor for my Dreamcast console? Please provide detailed instructions that are as simple as possible since I'm not very tech saavy in this area. Also, for the various things I need to buy, I'm pretty frugal, so if you can let me know the cheapest way to get me connected, I would greatly appreciate it, and hopefully you'll appreciate having another Dreamcast player to play with.

soul
rank 1
Posted:
Mon May 02, 2005 3:07 pm
quote : #2
If you want to play online with Broadband, search ebay for Dreamcast Broadband Adaptor (expect to pay 89$ or more) or you can use dial up for free, with one of the ISP's provided here. BTW: Starlancer cant be used with a BBA.
Posted:
Mon May 02, 2005 3:45 pm
quote : #3
Actually, Starlancer is playable only with a dialup connection, so yes, you will need access to an ISP. Since you currently have a broadband connection, you may want to first check with your internet provider, because many of them provide a free ISP service to current customers.

If your internet provider does not have an ISP you may use, try the search feature of this website. Typing in "free ISP" should result in the location of some avenues for you to try. The one that seems to be the most stable right now is the Yahoo ISP service.

Once you have the ISP issue settled, you just need the game and regular modem, and you're set. Keep an eye out on the Game Schedule of this site for Starlancer, because you'll have the greatest chance of finding someone online during a scheduled event. If you try just going online you very well may not find anyone out there, and that's really sad.

Good luck.

How are my little crackers doing today?
Maj. Whoopass
rank 1
Posted:
Tue May 03, 2005 11:27 am
quote : #4
Awesome, thanks guys. Do I need any extra plug ins, or do I just need to plug in the phone chord and log on through the Dreamcast Web browser CD? Do I need to buy a modem, or is one included with the Dreamcast web browser CD? Also, if I sign up with a dial up ISP in addition to the cable service, will that interfere with the cable service? Are there any ISP's that work well and are free- fast connection, decent service, etc.? Unfortunately Insight Broadband doesn't have an ISP connection available in addition to their cable services. As far as finding people online, I'm just glad there's SOME people there, I had assumed there wasn't anywhere to play Starlancer anymore until I came across this site.

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Tue May 03, 2005 12:30 pm
quote : #5
The Dreamcast was designed to be painfully easy to get online. As originally sold the Dreamcast included the modem and web browser disc. Does your Dreamcast currently have the built-in modem? It should. Check the back left corner of your Dreamcast, and if you have the modem module in there (phone cord jack sticking out), then you're good to go. Simply plug your telephone cord into the modem, and then you're ready to configure your ISP settings. You would just need the web browser disc, or a game with the built in configuring tool, and you'll be able to configure your ISP settings, which will save into your Dreamcast's internal memory. Once your settings are saved, online compatible games would just run off those settings.

If for some reason you do not have the modem, then you'll need to purchase one separately, which isn't difficult. Ebay is a good place to start, and some online shops also sell modems separately from time to time. Luckily, the dialup modem is really cheap. Plus, if you ever want to take advantage of your broadband connection for either Quake III or Phantasy Star Online, you'd need to buy a Broadband Adapter, which is sold separately from the dialup modem. Unfortunately, the Broadband Adapter was made in relatively limited numbers toward the end of the Dreamcast's production, so it's a relatively spendy item ($100-$150). The easiest place to find that is also on Ebay.

How are my little crackers doing today?
Maj. Whoopass
rank 1
Posted:
Sat May 07, 2005 1:51 am
quote : #6
Thanks kingofgrills. I have the phone chord plug in in the back of the unit, so I guess I'll be good to go once I set up an ISP. I'm on vacation now, so it will be a few days before I'm back home and caught up with work. Hopefully everything will work so I can play Starlancer with everyone.

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Sat May 07, 2005 6:13 am
quote : #7
I'll just warn you now. I plugged in this game, and it's quite a bit different from the PC version. Nothing major of course, just some graphical undermining. The starting screen has changed and been much simplified, but I think this is for the better, as I like it more than the PC version. For example the debriefs aren't as cool (with the talking woman), and I was sorely dissapointed with the ship selector screen (as opposed to the beautiful 3-D loadout screen on the PC). And I haven't had the time to play through the first mission, so I'm not sure, but I think they might have removed the "hanging out" areas between missions. I always used to feed the fish! Razz It surprises me only because I've seen the rest of the game, and they've done well translating it with the crappy Windows CE. With a GD-ROM I was hoping for more, not less, in the Dreamcast version. I hosted a game last night, but got bored real quick after marveling over the lighting effects on the ship and flying through my nth asteroid. Still, my hopes are high, and I really want someone to schedule a different gametime than Friday's. I could probably make that game, but it's RIGHT when I get home. Methinks we need a game hosted in the US, too. Anyway, there is my rant.
-Pakk