Topic: starlancer haters?

Page 1 of 1
undergr3nades
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:16 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
man, NO one is on starlancer .... i bought it tonight, its incredible. i creamed my pants. and no one was online to play... i was sad. are you guys haters?! i hope to see people there friday Smile hooray for dreamcast! [/url]

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:09 am
quote : #2
ur, no we dont hate the game, if we did we wouldnt have a section for it on the site, its just not a hugely popular game, people always show when a game is scheduled tho.
Posted:
Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:18 am
quote : #3
It's not as active or widely available as Quake III Arena, and, unless you have a seperate Dreamcast running, I don't think it's possible to have a constantly on server, plus it can be expensive depending where you live. But yes its a very good game. Only played it online once, but hope to try it again. Cool
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:00 pm
quote : #4
well, than we need more times posted on the calendar.... that would be very nice.. i dont wanna make the times on the calendar because so far everyone hates me being a noob on this site... or from what i've seen

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:20 pm
quote : #5
nobody wrote:
Geez, I really hate undergr3nades.

Nobody said that, where'd you get that idea from? We're a nice community. Smile
If you set up a game, I 100% guarantee you that people will show, and that none of them will hate you, either.
unknown
Posted:
Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:07 pm
quote : #6
shit, im really hurt now!! i dont think we've ever hated anyone, we're a very friendly/patient/helpful community mate if you post games as long as its a time people can make then they will be there.
Posted:
Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:47 pm
quote : #7
Yea, WE HATE YOU BECAUSE YOUR POOR!!!!

Na, im just fucking around. This is one of the nicest communities on the net actually.
rank 14
Posted:
Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:55 pm
quote : #8
Type: NTSC-U/C
screw you guys, I play every week Very Happy

j/k. I do agree there's a lack of motivation about Starlancer. I remember about a year ago, a saturday night match would have two games going full of OC people. I would post saturday games, but I don't have steady access to a phone line, and can barely commit to the friday games when I know people will be there. Go ahead and post some game times, if no-one shows, all you lose is 15min waiting for people, then just fire up single-player and practice.

The only thing is, and I can't stress this enough...but I will try:

GAME SHEDULE POSTS SHOULD HAVE EVERY DETAIL POSSIBLE AND GIVE ADEQUATE WARNING. If you look at my posts, I've got GMTs, cities, and a beat time. If people can't figure out the correct time, it's not my fault because I've got all the info I can put about a date in there. With Starlancer, you can't expect people to show up for a game time if you give them 1 days notice. Also, too many times in the past I have seen posts that say only, "7pm lets play" and there is no mention of a timezone. Gotta be really specific about the time, because there are a lot of international players and people may not know local names like Pacific, Eastern, Mountain...or whatever.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:53 am
quote : #9
Actually it doesn't have to do with motivation. A big difference between now and before is that, there is a huge free isp shortage. And many people have even upgraded to broadband since then. Many users with no dialup solution at all are left high and dry. This is the case for a lot of gamers here.

Getting some definative benchmarks up for the PC-DC method will get more gamers online across all of the Dreamcast Online games. Hope to have that stuff sorted out very soon. Because this is one of the biggest roadblocks Dreamcast Online faces right now. Broadband gamers looking to play Dreamcast dialup only games.
Posted:
Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:57 am
quote : #10
I still think Netgear/Linksys or the sort could make a healthy sum if they would just come out with a dial up hub that has built in NAT. Just a condensed PC/DC dial up server.

Such a simple and useful concept, I'm surprised that no one's materialized it yet. Especially since more and more people are going to broadband as the price comes down and it becomes accessible to new areas.

I can't get Starlancer/4x4 to connect for the life of me. It seems the games that use Gamespy servers won't connect through DC/PC server. Very odd.

- Dreamcast ™

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:14 am
quote : #11
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
I can't get Starlancer/4x4 to connect for the life of me. It seems the games that use Gamespy servers won't connect through DC/PC server. Very odd.

- Dreamcast ™

Soon as I get the cash to pick up my modems we can troubleshoot it.
Posted:
Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:16 pm
quote : #12
lordnikon wrote:
Actually it doesn't have to do with motivation. A big difference between now and before is that, there is a huge free isp shortage. And many people have even upgraded to broadband since then. Many users with no dialup solution at all are left high and dry. This is the case for a lot of gamers here.

Well, if they were really motivated, they would find a way....at least a few times. There have been a lot of users (me included) who have been saying they can't play for various reasons...but it's been going on for months. If you love the game, you'll find a way. Maybe it's just that I'm highly motivated because my favorite genre of game is Starlancer's and it's just beautiful on DC. Hell, one time I even snuck my DC into my computer drafting class with a VGA cable and portable phone-line to play Starlancer friday.

But I get what you're saying though. I was "upgraded" when I moved into my new apartment with DSL provided. Right now I use my grandmother's dial up ISP because I could never get the free ones to work. All I can suggest is there must me somebody you know well enough that can provide you with their dial-up service. Unless the sevice is limited by hours(my grandmother's is 200 hours/month, but I only use 8/month at the max), it's pretty harmless. Hell, even get your friend to come over and type in the ISP info if that's what it takes.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:20 pm
quote : #13
Well thats not entirely accurate. Because if the love of the game alone solved the problem of getting online, then all Dreamcast games would be back online right now Confused

There are some people that really really really want to play Starlancer and probobly would regularly. However not knowing when to show up for games, not having "experience" with organizing games, and not having a dialup solution can hinder the entire process. Some people just don't know what to do on their own to solve their problems. They need assistance and help.

It is an issue that effects all of Dreamcast online.

The only solution is to make it easier and more accessable to play each Dreamcast game online.

A low shortage of BBA's, certain games being dialup only compatible, many gamers having broadband only access, and people in europe having to pay...by the minute for dialup access....is a major problem.

What is the solution? The solution is PC-DC servers. Finding working modems that anyone can buy, and providing benchmarks and support for getting it to work for as many gamers as possible. I have no choice but to get this working asap. I need it working to conclude research. I will be purchasing 2 modems within the next few weeks and Dreamcast (TM) also has some extensive PC-DC rigs setup. Some other users do as well. We will be troubleshooting each game and writing up reports one exactly what needs to be done to get online with all currently online Dreamcast games over PC-DC. A survey will be going up soon as well, where users who have gotten it to work can fill it out to further pinpoint what works and what doesn't.

Then once this is all sorted out. Anyone can get online and game. Dreamcast Online as a whole will get a boost in player count, and gamers will start playing online much more regularly.

EDIT: The other thing we will be promoting are cheap 5.00 dialup ISP accounts for those looking to pick up a cheap dialup service. Which we will be doing more promotion of this option as well.