Page Location: Home > Quake III Arena > Topic
IMP@QT
rank 8
Posted:
Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:45 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
There seems to be an issue with PC players connecting to onlineconsoles.com q3 servers. And in my opinion(as well as others that play there), there should be a minumum ping setting on all of your servers, at least 175.

For one, with the minimum ping setting, you generally eliminate the PC players from connecting to your servers, unless they adjust some console commands that will increase thier ping, and essentially, evening out the playing field.

For pc users with BB:
/rate 4000
/snaps 5-8

this will give a pc user a ping of around 190-250.

For DC users with BB:
/snaps 5-8

ping same as PC

PLEASE! set this setting on your servers. Im getting sick of all these noobs coming in and ruining what was a fun game between console users. these ppl make me not wanna connect to your servers anymore out of fear of wasting all my time hazing them and not getting a chance to play without getting my ass handed to me around every corner.

thanks for reading and please consider it a option.

maddmaxx
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:53 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
yea i seen a dude that has a ping of 58 and man he stomps my ass every time i see him coming around a corner hell i dont even know what even hit me i tryed the ;rate 4800 and the other it didnt really help with that dude

U-235
rank 18
Posted:
Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:28 pm
quote : #3
Well, I don't believe the same should go for DC users with the BB. Even though no broadband is in my area, they paid for the BBA and deserve to use what they spent their money on. That's my take on it.

U-235

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:36 pm
quote : #4
I too agree that Dreamcast BBA users should be allowed to use their BBA's to their fullest potential. Infact, the bba's actually help an online game to be MORE stable. Because 4 dialupers will have more latency.

I will not be setting "rate limits" on the servers.

I will take whatever steps necessary....WITHOUT affecting the performance of the servers...to ensure that the population of gamers playing on the servers remains Dreamcast Only. I may even delete the names of the servers and name them "DC Only Please"

However I don't know whether that will do more good, or just draw in bored PC players looking to piss someone off.

My reasons for keeping PC players off the DC servers has nothing to do with fairness of play. At its core, I feel if I am putting up 4 servers for a Dreamcast Online community, to help out DREAMCAST players.....the PC players should stay off. They have a gazillion servers available to them. We only have so many. And them playing on our servers is just hogging up slots.

Also in relation to fair platform play. The advantage online is not the ping. The PC gamers have higher resolution and framerate. This is what gives them an "odd" advantage while playing online. Where you feel like your getting shot way too quickly.

I will even put up a server that has a password lock on it, so if you guys can't escape some trolling PC player who is there just to annoy you, you can escape to a passworded server that only OC players will know.

If there are PC players on the server, please ask them politely to play on another server, since the OC servers were put up specifically for DC platforms.

Please note: I myself have nothing wrong with playing against PC players, as I do play with some PC players from time to time. Some people have mistaken my words. Thinking I am against playing PC players period. This is not the case. However I prefer to keep the OC servers Dreamcast Console only. This is a Dreamcast Online gaming community. Not a PC gaming community.
Posted:
Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:16 pm
quote : #5
Yeah I agree, that it would not be a good idea to add a ping limit...However, the idea of a passwored server has always been a good idea to my mind, but how would you go about distributing the password?

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
freshcut_t70
banned!
Posted:
Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:56 pm
quote : #6
I think people on the pc tend to mod a little too much for me and not having a mouse doesn't help the issue either. I own Quake 3 only on the DC and thats the way i like,so playing against fellow DC players is what we're looking for here at OC.

maddmaxx
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:33 pm
quote : #7
im not against the pc players i dont mind the pc with dialup it just sux playing against a pc with a 58ms ping i do love the speed of the oc servers i dont want the servers to get slower just to get faster lol. the isp i have now has a bad ping i use to have a juno test isp it had awesome ping the ping bar was almost full yea pc has all kinds of advantiges especialy a pc on a dsl or cable connection but if nikon can figure out the way for q3a to work on that pc to dc dialup server then the problem of good ping against bad ping should deminish that is if nikon can get the thing to work with q3a
sorry if i go on to much im not complaining or any thing

yea i think the password idea is a good idea that should keep the pc out of oc servers

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:23 pm
quote : #8
segadreamcaster wrote:
Yeah I agree, that it would not be a good idea to add a ping limit...However, the idea of a passwored server has always been a good idea to my mind, but how would you go about distributing the password?

Cheers, Craig

Make it a sticky...?
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:47 pm
quote : #9
it would be to much to email everyone the password

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:39 am
quote : #10
I will just sticky the info. I won't be going to extreme measures to "by all secret". It would be to time consuming, and players looking to annoy other players feed off of this. They get off on wasting other peoples time. So as far as I will go is setting up a passworded server and putting up sticky. I think this will help alleviate the situation and give players a place to play in case of emergency.

However I will only be doing this, if the situation on the OC servers deteriorates from good, to worse. Right now there isn't a major problem with PC players hogging slots on the OC servers.
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:06 pm
quote : #11
PC'ers arn't hogging up all the slots cause I always am. Great servers BTW, just wish someone could get the hacked map packs with the inclusion of Brute Force, Revolover, Crisis, Incinerator, ect. I wonder if anyone still has them...Hmm. oh well, sad to see great maps go to waste though.