segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:43 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hi,

OK all, we need YOUR help to POSSIBLY give this game a CHANCE of returning to online funtionality...and no this is not your usual thread of "we want X back online" this game has been in talks for quite some time in the "maximum pool, questions answered" thread, which is here: http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2590&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

This thread is basically trying to bring together all the information that has been supplied in that thread to help people realise how worthwhile it will be to help track down the illusive Maximum pool save file that MIGHT help us put Maximum pool back online.

OK, here is what we already know:

Maximum pool is a Windows CE game, which most likely does NOT use Sega snap, although this is difficult to determine for sure it seems highly unlikely, especially considering the PC version of this game is STILL ONLINE, which you would assume it wouldn't be if it used SNAP as Nokia now own SNAP.

The Dreamcast version of the game points to the following servers:

coolpool.west.won.net:6003
coolpool.east.won.net:6003

The PC version of the game points to the following servers:

coolpool.west.won.net:6003
coolpool.east.won.net:6003

Yes, as you can see they both point to the same master servers, yet the PC version is still online with HUNDREDS of players on all the time, whilst the DC version only connects to an empty server list...why? we are not yet sure. I can personaly say that the servers provided above are indeed correct after personally exploring both the PC and DC versions in notepad to find the following lines of code:

Dreamcast version:

___E6666EA0-DBB2-11d2-A771-006097C3E986____UDP:coolpool.west.won.net:6 003__UDP:coolpool.east.won.net:6003__UDP:%s__(%d|%d)_%s%c____I_S_P_0__ ___C_o_m_m_____N_e_t_w_o_r_k_I_n_f_o___ras.tbt_R_A_S___D_i_a_l_e_r____ _________________________________________I___x___________________ ___<____________________________________flame.pvr___coinflip .mod____fuse.mod________

PC version:

___UDP:%s__UDP:coolpool.east.won.net:6003__UDP:coolpool.west.won.net:6 003__E6666EA0-DBB2-11d2-A771-006097C3E986____InternetAutodial____winin et.dll_%s%c____(%d|%d)_www.sierra.com__IcmpSendEcho____IcmpCloseHandle _IcmpCreateFile__ICMP.dll______________________flame.cpa___coin_ g.cpa__coin_o.cpa__coin_y.cpa__coin_m.cpa__Fatal Error_Warning_

(please note that some code shown here displays differently in notepade, namely the "______" sections are represented as small squares in notepad, but I am unsure what they should looklike...as I have little experiece)

We do know that the DC and PC versions were compatible with each other, so it was possible to play a PC vs DC game when the game was originally online. At some point the DC version was no longer able to access the servers and so for a while was offline. However, Blast informed us some time ago that there was a save file, which once again enabled access to the PC servers and was available at http://www.gamesaves.de (which unfortunatelly no longer exists). Until recently there seemed to be no proof of the files existence, other than blasts word which was good enough for many but some may have remained skeptical, now however we have a link to an archive page which mentions the file, which is here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20021229085531/http://dcog.netfirms.com/

This gives us the evidence we need to show people this file EXISTED. Blast also told us that from what he had heard, the file had stopped working after the PC version went offline...however, as the PC version is STILL ONLINE so it seems possible that the file is question may still be able to help us.

Summary of what we already know:

PC version is still online
PC and DC versions point to the same master servers
There WAS some kind of file that allowed the DC to coonect to the PC servers after it initially went offline

That roughly sums up what we already know, now on to the question we need answering:

Things we still need to know:

At this time we are unsure what the save file I have been talking about actually was...some think it was a completed game file, where somebody completed the game and was then allowed access to the PC servers...this seems unlikely as a complete save has been tried at least once by me and I think others have also tried plus I have found no mention of this anywhere on the net or in the games manual. The other idea is that it could have been some kind of patch file that allowed access to the the servers after they were changed in some way...this seems more likely, but if this is the case, was this made by a player or was it an official release from Sega or otherwise? It is unlikely it was an official release as someone would remeber it and availabilty would be better, so it would seem that we are looking for a "Home made patch file" that allowed access to the Maximum pool/coolpool servers once again.

Join the search & research:

Ok, I think I have covered it all, so this is where you come in. We need to TRACK DOWN this file, if you can help with any of the following please let us know:

You have heard of the file before
You have used the file yourself
You have more information on what we are looking for (i.e Save file or patch file)
You have or know where to find the file
You can shed some light on the code mentioned above...what does it all mean, is it relevent?

Basically any info would be great and I urge you to have a go at trying to FIND THIS FILE!!!...some have already tried, including Blast and myself who have spent hours trying.

People we need to track down and contact:

WWJD - original webmaster of DCOG
BIGRIB - Webmaster of gamesaves.de
BOSSHOGG - Someone who used to use the file we are looking for

Closing statement:

This is considered to be among the most likely of games to return to online functionality in the future, which is why blast and I have been banging on about it for quite some time now, but lately have been on our own, which is why we both decided this new thread was in order...please help us and yourselves by using any ideas or knowledge you may have, thats all we ask.

Ok, thats all for now...hopefully this thread will boost interest in this matter and might bring us together to have a chance (however large or small) of adding another game to the online games list Laughing Hope I havent put you all to sleep...lol

Cheers, Craig

UPDATE:

MAXIMUM POOL BACK ONLINE AS OF 17th JUNE 2005

Well amazingly, I started this thread on Monday 13th June 2005 to hopefully make some progress into getting this game back online, little did I know that just 4 days later, the thread would have completed its task...totally amazing. Just gonna run down a list of people to thank for this break through:

Tino: From Pauth.com who edited max pools save to allow access, we owe him a huge THANK YOU
Blast: This re-search would most likely, never have started without him and he has supplied excellent info throughout
Maddmaxx: For being the first person to confirm the save made by Tino worked..thanks
Moi: For pointing me in the direction of Pauth.com. If he didnt I may never have enlisted Tino's help...thanks
Lordnikon: For generally being very supportive and putting up with Blast and I bangin on about this for about a year Razz
To everyone who contributed: Many people contributed throughout, all of whom helped to achieve our goal and helped to keep all of us motivated....thanks

And of course I helped a bit Smile

The downloads for the re-worked file can be found on this thread at Pauth.com for the time being, but lordnikon will most likely host the file here at OC, if so I will link to there instead:

http://pauth.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=225&start=15

Whats been changed:

In basic terms, when maximum pool first saves to the VMU, it includes a list of server addresses that were originally used for the DC to connect to the servers and calls upon these everytime you go online, however these changed at somepoint since the release of the game, so of course the DC was now calling on the wrong addresses, which mean the meeting room showed up as empty. Tino had a good idea that these servers were listed in the VMU save and knew what the current server addresses were due to his experience with the PC version of the game and so was able to edit the Dreamcast's save file using a hex editor so that the Dreamcast version was now calling the correct servers therefore causing the server list to show up when you go online with the file on the VMU.

Last edited by segadreamcaster on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:01 am; edited 17 times in total

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:02 am
quote : #2
I'll join the cause. If nothing else, log packets from the PC version and see what's going on.

Also, the little squares are line/character returns.

This is how it should look (and is much easier to read):

Quote:

E6666EA0-DBB2-11d2-A771-006097C3E986

UDP:coolpool.west.won.net:6 003

UDP:coolpool.east.won.net:6003
UDP:%s
(%d|%d)_%s%c

... You get the picture

I wonder what the RAS dialer does. Must be a utility the routes the connection to a DC authentication server to prevent DC games leaking over into PC games.

- Dreamcast

Posted Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:10 am:

Just bought the PC version. We'll have this back online by mid July. (That or let's pick a reasonable target date to have this completed by. Should give us something to aim for and stay motivated. Very Happy)

-Dreamcast

fallout
rank 16
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:58 am
quote : #3
Type: PAL
Well all i know is , that Won.net got shutdown 2 yeahrs ago http://won.net/ Sierra still own it ...
I think the main reason was , that sierra wanted/want to charge peopel for cs and hl (steam) so they build a new system
and discontinued WonNet.
The half life source code for the master servers is leaked , and you can find it here http://www.steamlessproject.nl
not that it will help -.-
segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:04 am
quote : #4
OK, thanks for that DreamcastTM, although I doubt we'll have it back online that quickly/easily. I also have the PC version (obviously as thats where I got the info from) but unfortunatelly I am unable to make any further progress with it...not sure where to go next..maybe you will have more luck...I will also be supplying lordnikon with a copy soon, as he would also like to examin the PC version...well done for picking it up though and having a go.

Fallout, yes you are right won.net did get shut down, but maximum pool, does still connect through it so that doesnt seem to be a major issue at present...strange how it still works...I assume it was meant to be taken down

Cheers, Craig

Last edited by segadreamcaster on Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:26 am
quote : #5
Dreamcast wrote:
We'll have this back online by mid July. (That or let's pick a reasonable target date to have this completed by. Should give us something to aim for and stay motivated. Very Happy)

Stop right there. Do not do this. Do not say that you can get something back online for sure when you havnt done it yet or have no proof that you can. This is horrible. It spreads rumours, gets peoples hopes up, and only results in dissapointment. If you want to get motivated, great.....but don't make promisses about anything. Dreamcast Online has gone through enough. There are people that don't take things into perspective. Back when some idiots said they were getting AFO back online, I got a flood of emails from people, and also seeing links at other sites....with posts that "online consoles is getting AFO back online". Also people thinking I was the one getting them back online.

I will delete any further "announcements" of getting anything back online.

Want do do research? Want to say your going to try your hardest? Awsome. But don't make assumptions that you will be able to get something back online. When you "assume" you make an ass of u and me.(this is an old saying, not insulting anyone.) Wink
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:33 am
quote : #6
Well said lord...nobody wants any false claims about getting anything back online...at the moment we don't even know if this will ever lead to anything coming back online at all...its just a little searching/researching to see what might and might not be possible...we don't want any claims of anything going back online unless we have reasonable evidence that it is possible.

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:44 am
quote : #7
My tip of advice is, if there is something left to be looked into, some tiny step to make, then keep chisseling away at it. This has been my moto since I have started. And I slowly but surely am breaking down barriers and finding out more info. It does lead to progress. Sometimes it can be slow moving through hehe Laughing
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:54 am
quote : #8
ill join the hunt .....i think theres somthing in the dc and pc ver like a file or a identifyer that the servers can tell apart from the dc and pc versions and they made the server block the games that has the dc identifyer thats what i figure do u think the save was made or even exsists to hide or overwrite the idintyfyer info from the servers to trick the servers to think the dc was a pc well its just a thought sorry if i was confuseing or going on about ill try any thing if it can lead to mabe a game coming back but if not oh well we will give it our all

Last edited by maddmaxx on Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total

MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:13 am
quote : #9
ive been pounding search engines for the last hour. using "Dreamcast Pool Game Save" or variations there of.
so far fruitless. but ill go back on the hunt tomorrow.

for now, my eyes hurt.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
dwachill
rank 18
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:19 am
quote : #10
IGN wrote:
If there's a shining point in the game, it's how easy you can start enjoying a pool video game. The easy interface makes playing pool quite enjoyable, and I especially like the angle guides that enable you to determine the path of both the cue ball and the ball you're aiming for. Plenty of play options and the bonus games definitely give replay value, but having online play gives this game a lot of replayability. Since the game of pool isn't exactly "high-intensity action", playing Maximum Pool online is nearly lag free. And yes, you can play other pool hustlers that own the PC version of the game.

According to IGN, you could play with PC Gamers from the start. This is a bad sign.

Also, someone should try the first download on Planetweb for MP. Its discription is in another languege, but it couldnt hurt to try.
rank 37
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:23 am
quote : #11
Hi,

Thanks all for the support...goodluck to everytone who is trying its much appreciated...as lord said above keep niggling away at it and one day that wall might well break down...we can hope so anyway Laughing

dwachill, yeah the DC version coulld apparently play with the PC version from the outset, but at some point was unable to do so...which is why this file became available as it allowed people to use the servers once again, it could be (as maddmaxx said above) that the file makes the server think the DC version is in fact the PC version, that certainly seems to be the obvious possabilty...but the fact is the DC version did go offline but was made available again by this file. Apparently it was reported that the file stopped working because the PC servers went offline, however, the PC servers ARE NOT OFFLINE, which is why this file may still be relevant...but even if its no useable anymore it might give some clues as to how we could make an updated file that would work again...thats the hope anyway

Goodluck all

Cheers, Craig

PS: I have tried the first file on the planetweb site almost as soon as it became available after the site went back up...its of no use...to be honest I don't think we are looking for an actual save file...more a patch file...but we can't rule anything out at this point.

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

maddmaxx
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:03 pm
quote : #12
hey did the http://www.gamesaves.de site ever ges arcived by anyone or the site backed up it would be cool to find someone that saved the site

segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:14 pm
quote : #13
maddmaxx wrote:
hey did the http://www.gamesaves.de site ever ges arcived by anyone or the site backed up it would be cool to find someone that saved the site

It's funny you should mention that actually, as I was checking out http://www.archive.org/ and there are some pages archived...I even got as far as the forum, where there was a thread from February 2003 titled "Maximum pool online" so imagine my reaction when that page would not come up Mad feel free to take a look around on it somebody may be able to find something of use there...it was very slow for me though I have to say. Perhaps there are other archive sites that may have parts of the site?

From looking arounf the net and from the archives I also found that the webmaster of the site was called BIGRIB don't know if thats of any use to anyone or not but that was the name he used and is apprently very difficult to get hold of.

Also noticed on http://www.sierra.com that there was a version update patch released for the PC version in 2004 (08/05/2004) but I assume it has no effect on the online functionality as I am reaching the server list without the patch with my PC version.

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:54 pm
quote : #14
Type: Pal
Hi all

Very nice work on the new thread Segadreamcaster Smile thanks for that it would have taken mea ages.

NOt a lot I can add technical wise as I have NO experience in anything relavant. My advice would be search here http://www.dcog.netfirms.com for a link to the patch file. Ive looked here on several occasions but hold my hands up and say Im useless at searching for things I almost always never find them even when they are right under my nose. This is mainly becauise I have only a DC and a very old PC on dial up and everything is very slow for me to trawl through. DCOG was sort of a predecessor to OC and one person will almost undoubtedly have the file we just nee d to find that person.

Is anyone in email contact with WWJD who ran DCOG beofre handing it over to Verbal cody? WWJD may have the save or know someone who does, I have PM.d him here on OC, so far no response.

Is anyone in contact with a former DC player known as Bosshogg on Bomberman, WWP and Maximum pool. Bosshogg Is the one player I know for 100% used this patch file to get online with Max pool he may still have it on a VM somewhere. He used to post on http://www.gamefaqs.com message boards, especialy on the Bomberman board. He had a website that was dedicated archiving gamefaq threads.

Contact with either of the above 2 may severly aid the cause.

Laters
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:04 pm
quote : #15
Hi m8,

Thanks for your praise of the thread Smile .

I did have a look around the DCOG site today actually and didn't turn up anything so far..but thats not to say it isnt there... Confused

Yes contact with WWJD and this Bosshogg (whom I vaguely recall being mentioned before) would probably prove beneficial...lets just hope somebody is able to get in contact with them.

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer