Page Location: Home > StarLancer > Topic
Mertens
rank 14
Posted:
Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:25 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I just thought I would put out a warning to Starlancer players about how the server has been recently. I've played the Starlancer friday game two of the last three weeks, and both times the server booted everyone from the game. The first time it happened it said, and I quote, "The server has left the game." That's not a good sign. From what I understand, there were 6 players in that game, and every player (except for the host, who was Lonewolf) saw the other players "leave the game" and then got that message about the server. We were all able to rejoin the same game the host had been in the entire time.

Today, we were playing another 6 player game and the server crashed again. This time I would be playing, and it would say "<insert player name> has left the game." It was without warning from the player, and every 30 seconds another player would "leave." Finally I was left alone, and when I tried to leave, weird stuff started happening. I exited back to the game lobby, and when I tried to enter a new game the booted players had created, my DC crapped out on me. I had to restart the system, but after restart, I kept getting the message "could no connect to the internet." I restarted 3 more times and checked my browser settings, and still nothing worked. I finally just gave up and tried again a half hour later. I was able to connect, and that's when everyone told me the server crashed.

Later, again, today, my game froze again. It was the end of the game and we were just chatting. I was messing around with the flight controls trying to remember how to straif up and down. I really don't know what I did to freeze the game. I may have been pressing too many buttons at once (to straif u need: Y+L+joystick direction). It could have been another server crash, or maybe not. Jools was there and maybe he can shed some light on this. If it was just me, to him it would have looked like I left the game. I reconnected, but I couldnt find anyone. I just assumed they saw my leaving as a reason for them to leave as well.

I really have no explanation for what happened. I tried to provide as much information as possible. I'm not trying to offer explanations based on my experiences. Until more information is collected, I can't try to find a cause or a pattern. If anything like this happens to other players, I just want them to know what is going on.

Last edited by Mertens on Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:42 pm
quote : #2
The problem is lag. Starlancer works where a user hosts a game. The master list just lets people meet up. When a user hosts, they are handling all the bandwidth. So what you need to do to alleviate this, is find a person that can host games good.

Ever notice that whenever I would host, and the game would have 6 players, it would be really smooth? My dialup connection is extremly solid. I get very good speeds, since I am really close to a network center.

Next time I will make an effort to show and try to host to see if that helps create a more consistant player environment.

Also as far as Starlancer going offline at any moment.... Read front page news buddy Twisted Evil
Posted:
Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:06 am
quote : #3
So it would generally be a bad idea for a person with a free ISP to host games? I really need to find a cheap ISP to use with my gaming, especially in the wake of all this great online gaming news over here.
rank 14
Posted:
Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:00 pm
quote : #4
I guess I'll have to talk to lonewolf about his ISP issues. I think he has been the host everytime. It's just weird because as long as I can remember, lonewolf has been the host at one point in a game, ususally just because he gets there first and stays the longest. Maybe he recently switched providers.

maddmaxx
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:28 pm
quote : #5
ive hosted a game before on starlancer , but not with all 6 people . it ran smooth there was only 3 including me tho . i need to try hoasting a game with 6 people to c if my connection it worth a crap

DaMan
rank 28
Posted:
Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:07 am
quote : #6
Still its odd, the game must have been about a hour and it was just 2 of us (I was late Sad ) when "it" happened, so its possible there were more people before I arrived. strange that it would happen when there were fewer people in the game. Confused