1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:36 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I stumbled across information sitting right in front of our faces this entire time. We now know who coded the online portion of Worms World Party, as well as where it was hosted. Team 17 coded the online functionality of Worms World Party, and Sega hosted the servers. Here is the proof, found in the interviews section at the official WWP homepage:

Lead Programmer Mark Robinson states:
"The actual on-line gameplay content is all down to the actual development team here at Team17. It's the actual hosting the servers for the game where Sega come in and it's here were we are working very closely together to make sure that everything is ready for the actual release."

Programmer Martin Randall says:
"I was responsible for writing the online section of the front end - the part of game that allows players from around the world to meet up and arrange a game on-line."

So there you have it. Finally for those of you who played WWP, you now know exactly how it all worked. For the full interview, please read it right here. It has oodles of info on the development process for Worms World Party for the Dreamcast. While Worms World Party was developed using the WinCE dev kit, it was still custom tailored to the Dreamcast version. Attempting to get the Dreamcast version to work with the PC version will not work, as they are incompatible.

If Sega hosted the servers, why would they act all clueless when we emailed them? The answer is simple: Some desk jockey who doesn’t have the real facts is just guessing. When you send them an email with questions, they will email you back their “best answer”, regardless of its accuracy.

This information also dispels any rumors that the now bankrupt Titus had anything to do with development, porting, or hosting of the servers. They merely published the game, nothing more, nothing less.

Now I bring up a parallel that none of us at the time thought to bring up. Both WWP and Q3 PAL version were both terminated in April of 2004. Sega of Europe shut off both the Quake 3 servers and Worms in the same time period.

With this new information, I have decided to send out a request to Sega of Europe to acquire the software needed to host Worms World Party. This is NOT A PETITION. Petitions usually involve people just writing random babble and signing their John Q. This is a professional request to acquire the software from Sega of Europe. This will be sent to multiple sectors of SOE as well as Team17. It will include a letter of intent as a cover letter as well as a professional presentation in the hopes that it will move the package along to someone of authority.

The goal here is not to get Sega to turn the servers back online. While we will take that as a last resort of course, the main mission here is to acquire the software so the Dreamcast Online Community at large can play this game online forever. Do NOT say in your letter things such as “please turn the servers back online”. This is not our primary focus here. I will be mentioning this in the cover letter that we will accept this as a final option. However including it in your own letter will just confuse them. This operation is not about Quantity, but about Quality. If you want to rally more people to this cause, please gather those who really strike a chord with what we are trying to accomplish here. Getting more gamers to just write random crap to fill space is just a bunch of fluff we don’t need. It would make the whole package seem less genuine.

Guidelines:

Include an explanation on why you would prefer to play WWP from Dreamcast hardware as opposed to other hardware platforms.

If you played WWP online for your Dreamcast before, please recall some of your fond memories of playing online.

If you have never played WWP online before, please write about why you would like to play it online.

Add any addition comments you might want to include on your own.

Include your full name, regional location, and email contact. A home address is not required. Just include your City, State/Province, and Country.

Please take care in writing your letter! Do not just scribble 1 paragraph, and do not make a long-winded tail. Aim for half a page to 2 pages.

Please email all Worms World Party letters to: lordnikon@onlineconsoles.com

Make sure you title the email with the following: “Worms World Party server software Request”.

Anyone who sent me emails already, please re-write or modify your email to reflect the information provided above.

Thank you in advance to everyone who contributes to this. By the way, someone find WormyTheWorm. I’m sure he will want to contribute to this.

Last edited by lordnikon on Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:11 pm; edited 6 times in total
Posted:
Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:55 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U
I will write up a quick draft tonight and try and have you an e-mail by wed. I have to schedual my classes at UTA on monday and tuesday. I hope to hear that the rest of you are doing the same.

nintendo_DS
rank 21
Posted:
Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:06 pm
quote : #3
One question Nikon, are we sending these to Mr. Randall?
...look around and ask yourself if there's anyone better qualified...at that point in time. If...'yes,' ask them to accept command, and do everything you can... If...'no,' ...then take your best shot. That's all any of us can do.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:12 pm
quote : #4
nintendo_DS wrote:
One question Nikon, are we sending these to Mr. Randall?

We are just sending them to departments at Sega of Europe and Team 17.
Posted:
Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:26 pm
quote : #5
I'll send it to you right now man Wink

Feel free to change to Dear line if necessary, I have it as "Dear Sega of Europe and Team 17,"
...look around and ask yourself if there's anyone better qualified...at that point in time. If...'yes,' ask them to accept command, and do everything you can... If...'no,' ...then take your best shot. That's all any of us can do.
segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:59 am
quote : #6
OK, will have to get this done ASAP...hope we get a positive response Laughing

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
NibelheimPromise
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:00 am
quote : #7
I sent my letter into you when you first mentioned this Nikon - did you ever get it by chance?
Posted:
Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:58 pm
quote : #8
Hi, I request that anyone who sent me a letter before this new updated news post, please re-check your letter to make sure it meets the guidlines above. If you don't have a copy of it anymore, please let me know and I can email it back to you for checking. At the moment I am busing working on a bunch of dc related things. I can't proof read them all right now and go over them to contact people and let them know they need to make changes.

Rob Wilson and Allen West are the only people to send me letters based on the new information in this WWP thread. Anyone else who has sent me one in the past, please doublecheck your letter and resend if needed. This saves me a lot of time. Re-read the thread above and see all the guidelines specified in the thread. Thank you.
Posted:
Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:00 pm
quote : #9
Type: PAL
I hope that my letter already meets that, but feel free to edit down as required!!! hope theres a big response to this!!!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:04 pm
quote : #10
Unerd, please double check your letter yourself. You can do it when you get back from vacation. I won't be sending this stuff out for a few weeks as I want to get a nice stack of letters. Please, I am begging you to please double check your own letter. I don't have the time right now to go through and proof read the old letters I recieved and then send back a "you need to fix this you need to fix that" email. You guys are capable of doing this on your own.
Posted:
Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:32 pm
quote : #11
Alright I'll resend... There'sno need to double check mine - I was an eglish major at one point in time so I feel like I know how to write \, especially formal letters ^_^.
Posted:
Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:25 pm
quote : #12
lordnikon wrote:
Unerd, please double check your letter yourself. You can do it when you get back from vacation. I won't be sending this stuff out for a few weeks as I want to get a nice stack of letters. Please, I am begging you to please double check your own letter. I don't have the time right now to go through and proof read the old letters I recieved and then send back a "you need to fix this you need to fix that" email. You guys are capable of doing this on your own.

Okay didn't read that before I sent. I gave it a good read through, but I left some things where I said you could edit it. Just delete those please and it's a full good ol' letter.
rank 43
Posted:
Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:27 pm
quote : #13
Type: Pal
Apologies, Im slacking here need to get mine done, it will be with you soon.

Laters
Posted:
Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:25 am
quote : #14
Type: PAL
Got my letter done last week, be interesting to know if people are still getting theres off, and how many already have? This is a piece of DC history, a collated push by DC.onlineconsoles. The bigger we are as a group, the more they will listen (...or sympathise!)

Either way lets do this!!!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:55 am
quote : #15
I have a grand super huge extra massive total of....