Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
U-235
rank 18
Posted:
Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:59 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
...and since I'm willing to experiment a little, I'm planning on buying an extra unit for modification purposes. Think I can replace the CPU and GFX chip with a faster model of a like chipset? I have resources to extract chips and re-solder new ones in. So I'll be needing as much hardware info on the dreamcast as I can find. Who made the chips in question for the DC? And do those companies still manufacture? More importantly, would new chips work with the DC's current OS? I'm not as good with software, so if they won't work, I might as well not try.

andyspof
rank 5
Posted:
Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:19 am
quote : #2
you might have better luck at the dcdev part of dcemu.co.uk

Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:34 am
quote : #3
or www.dcemulation.com
rank 18
Posted:
Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:48 am
quote : #4
so you think the emulation sites would have info on dreamcast modification? I estimate the chips would probably cost about $100 a peice, so I'm not going to attempt it unless I'm sure it will work. Smile

MetaFox
rank 5
Posted:
Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:05 pm
quote : #5
U-235 wrote:
so you think the emulation sites would have info on dreamcast modification? I estimate the chips would probably cost about $100 a peice, so I'm not going to attempt it unless I'm sure it will work. Smile
I doubt that it will work. If it is possible at all, It wouldn't be a simple plug and play job. You'd probably have to reprogram the bios to accept the newer chips (if said chips are even backwards compatible at all).

You'd be better off overclocking. There are guides on both dcemu.co.uk and dcemulation in the hardware mods section. If you overclock the PVR (the graphics chip), you are going to need to use a VGA cable, as the TV out is set at a specific frequency.

Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:43 pm
quote : #6
U-235 wrote:

yeah, the hardware and modification on the said sites is very good and supportive on the forums.
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:55 pm
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U/C
ok heres some info to help i found somthing else i have to find than ill put up the link ok heres the first one http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-2554
second one
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-2528
3rd one
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-4877
4th one
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-2897
i cant seem to find the other one about putting a sh5 or sh6 inplace of the sh4 and the 3rd gen pvr chip and memoryi do hope this helps some if u already know about these my bad

nintendo_DS
rank 21
Posted:
Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:42 pm
quote : #8
Type: NTSC-U/C
I think that we need to have a fundraiser to get funds for developement of a Dreamcast 2...seriously. Wink New cd-rom type for dvd format, but supports GD-roms, faster processor, same modem (I love it, I can't get broadband) new case design, more storage space...I dunno, anymore suggestions? I would give money if others were as well. I think it should also be compatable with Windows 98 or XP.
...look around and ask yourself if there's anyone better qualified...at that point in time. If...'yes,' ask them to accept command, and do everything you can... If...'no,' ...then take your best shot. That's all any of us can do.
pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:50 am
quote : #9
Great all we need are lots of programmers, some big budget support, and enough people interested in the Dreamcast 2 that'll get off the ground. Rolling Eyes
But seriously, for now let's explore with the actual dreamcast before ANYONE tries anything that ambitious. The only thing that the dreamcast 2 could be is a very concentrated version of the NAOMI 2.
rank 18
Posted:
Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:59 pm
quote : #10
clarification, there is absollutely NO WAY that I can mass produce this. This is just something I'm looking into for my own enjoyment. Mainly to see if I can improve the gfx framerate and speed. Even if I could get loads of programmers, artists, musicians, publicists, a large scale project would never get off the ground. It's not fiscally sound. I happen to know a couple of people who worked for motorola for a long time who have the equipment and skills to do something like this. I will not be taking orders for this machine if it works. I will however, provide links to where you can buy the chips, and complete wiring diagrams if someone else wanted to do this. It's kind of like curiosity. I just want to try it and see what can be done. But like I say, I have no intentions of even attempting to produce/market this machine. I'm not even done with the research part of it yet. Sure it would be cool to have a dreamcast 2, but would you really want to pay the expenses it would take for me to replicate the machine for you? (if I were to make multiples, I would have to pay the person's labor) On top of the chips, the labor would make it an expensive machine. I did want to look into possibly adding a power supply to control drives and if it were possible I would run Win2000 probably. I stress, IF IT'S POSSIBLE. I have no idea if this will work.

U-235

edit: I have considered the fact the BIOS will have to be reprogrammed, maybe even a PC bios will have to be installed, I don't know. Replacing the BIOS chip is much easier than the processor chip.

TTS
rank 13
Posted:
Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:31 pm
quote : #11
Lets just say that this did work, and, I'm speaking hypothicly, that you were to say, slip the info on how you didi this? *nuge nuge wink wink* Wink
Posted:
Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:04 pm
quote : #12
Well, I said I would provide links to where you can buy the chips and complete wiring diagrams. Some major hurdles have to be jumped before I can do this, like I need to first disect a dreamcast. Smile When I have money to buy one, then I'll really start looking into it.