Topic: Sega Question PLease Help

Page 1 of 1
evilnine
unknown
Posted:
Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:29 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
okay i wanna know whats the diference between a sega mega-drive and a sega genesis, what do they do that make one another different, and wich one is compatible with x-band?
Posted:
Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:21 am
quote : #2
the should be the same system. it was just marketed under the mega drive in europe and genisis here.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
Chris5687
unknown
Posted:
Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:21 am
quote : #3
Yep, it was also Mega-drive in Japan. Also In eruope and japan, the Sega CD was the Sega Mega CD and the Sega 32x was the Sega Mega 32x.

martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:24 pm
quote : #4
Another interesting note on the Mega / Genesis issue:

There was a device called the Pioneer LaserActive that came out in North America, Europe and Japan. It was basically just a laserdisc player, but it had a slot in the front that would accept a Sega Genesis module, NEC Turbo Grafx module, or karaoke module. The laserdisc tray had a smaller tray that held CDs, and when a Genesis or Turbo Grafx module was inserted, the CD tray could be used as a Sega CD or Turbo Duo, respectively. (Of course, the Genesis module would be called a Mega Drive module and would also say Mega CD instead of Sega CD if you had the Euro or Japanese versions.)

It gets interesting when you read that there were actually a few games for the Sega module that were on laserdisc! The only way to play them is with a LaserActive and the Sega module. Funny thing is, I don't think there were ever North American versions of the Mega LD games (as they were called), so the North American Sega module says Genesis, Sega CD, and Mega LD on it (instead of Sega LD as you would expect).

Anyway, just a little more Genesis / Mega Drive trivia for you.

DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:17 pm
quote : #5
The X-band was only released in the US, but even so they are only different names so all could use it im guessing, but as you know the servers for this went offline in 1997