Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
Zeiram_Wing
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:53 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U
I'm having one of those headaches with pictures... i think they call em ideas... anyway, I was just playing Sega GT, and realized you can save ghost data. Well, i'm not too sure about the whole sending things over a nexus card, cause i don't have one, but i did use the dreamkey web browser's mail function, made a new msg and attached the ghost data, and sent the file to myself. then i waited a few, checked my mail with the dk mail function, and downloaded the file from my mail and used it. i haven't tried Planetweb yet. Now thats not too functional, seeing how alot of people are using free isp's and have no POP3 email they can check via dk mail, and the fact that you would have to constantly be checking your mail with your DC, but i'm sure we can think of some better way to trade ghost data and get some internet funtionality out of Sega GT.

-EDIT- Ok, the ghost data file is a .g00(where 00 is the number of the file) so i don't know about the whole converting with the nexus card thing. I used planetwebs mail client to send the file to myself, and it didn't work. nor did sending it to a hotmail or yahoo acount. it would just come up with a page full of garble. sending the file to myself with the dreamkey mail client worked, but checking yahoo and hotmail with dreamkey won't work. So.. any idea's out there?

Last edited by Zeiram_Wing on Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

evilnine
unknown
Posted:
Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:56 pm
quote : #2
you can use any e-mail, yahoo, hotmail ect.. as long as the downloadable file is a vmi file, the DC will recognize it and download it, you dont have to use POP-3
Posted:
Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:44 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
First off, I would just like to say....fantastic investigative work Zeiram, finding ways to expand online gaming connectivity definatly takes some tinkering and......is most definatly a headache. It just takes sooooo longgggg to get this stuff all tested and to get a definative FAQ on how to do this stuff correctly. But without the work put in it never amounts. So props on meddling with Sega GT's features. We could have another online game on our hands here. Big news.

Ok so lets break this all down......

Zeiram_Wing wrote:
i'm not too sure about the whole sending things over a nexus card, cause i don't have one, but i did use the dreamkey web browser's mail function, made a new msg and attached the ghost data, and sent the file to myself. then i waited a few, checked my mail with the dk mail function, and downloaded the file from my mail and used it.

We need to find another user who owns Sega GT and a pop3 email to do some advanced testing. Anyone have Sega GT and a POP3 email account? I will try and get Sega GT asap to start testing with this.

Zeiram_Wing wrote:
-EDIT- Ok, the ghost data file is a .g00(where 00 is the number of the file) so i don't know about the whole converting with the nexus card thing. I used planetwebs mail client to send the file to myself, and it didn't work. nor did sending it to a hotmail or yahoo acount. it would just come up with a page full of garble. sending the file to myself with the dreamkey mail client worked, but checking yahoo and hotmail with dreamkey won't work. So...any idea's out there?

This is similar to how MSR files are, the .g00 is not a file extension its just part of the file name. Also I have tried emailing from planetweb before also, it completly garbles the file like you said. Sending the file through web based email is problematic. I think our goal should be to find some working free pop3 email services on the net. This is what I will soon be spending a few hours on in the next week to figure out.

The interesting thing here....is that DreamKey doesn't jumble up the code of the file, like pweb does. This new revelation could be so useful in so many ways. It would almost eliminate the need for everyone to get nexus cables, and just have a few admin nexus cable owners around to get core files and get them up at onlineconsoles. So this could make our lives way easier. The only problem is finding a OEM original dreamkey browser for people to use. We can't expect people to all be able to use xdp or psidreams because not everyone can play burned software on their DC's. So we'll have to tinker with unlocking functions in a game containing dreamkey/dreampassport software, or find one with already functioning email options. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

On a final note....are the ghost racer files meant for internet swapping like MSR files were? In context the MSR files are in a position where the competative racer was meant to be a new gamer from across the internet. Are Sega GT files made in career or timetrial mode with the intention of that same original creator playing them? and we are then flipping it so someone else is playing the file instead? Just curious as to what the original role of ghost racer files were on Sega GT. Any info on this would be great.
Posted:
Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:22 pm
quote : #4
man Zeiram. props, mad props. when i get home im gonna try out the whole sega gt/ dreamkey thing. if i get it working, maybe you can send me the file or vice versa. very impressive Zeiram. your the man of the hour!

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
Zeiram_Wing
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:45 am
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U
Heres a little quote from the back of the game
Quote:
Upload scores and lap times to the internet or trade your racing machines using the VMU

that would have made things a bit easier if they actually did that. I got the game like half a year after it came out and when you'd go to the download ghost data on the site it said "coming soon" the sites down now anyways. but, onto the task at hand...
Quote:
The only problem is finding a OEM original dreamkey browser for people to use. We can't expect people to all be able to use xdp or psidreams because not everyone can play burned software on their DC's. So we'll have to tinker with unlocking functions in a game containing dreamkey/dreampassport software, or find one with already functioning email options.

actually i used the dreamkey that was in Sega GT itself! no codes needed, i just went to the L trigger menu and connected, then the 2nd or 3rd option down on the L trigger menu is "mail" and once in there you can check your mail, compose a new mail, and send attachments. but you can only send 1 attachment per email. I'll check some other games with the dreamkey to see if they have any mail functions too. Oh, and you can send bout any file, i sent those Skies downloaded files to myself and it worked.
-EDIT- I just checked every game i have that have DK and they all have the mail function. I should point out that when your in the mail client, you have to go to the R trigger menu and choose "New Mail" to download the mail from the server. this threw me off a bit at first, as i thought it was to compose a new msg. I'm now Google'n like mad to find some sort of free POP3 mail.
Quote:
On a final note....are the ghost racer files meant for internet swapping like MSR files were? In context the MSR files are in a position where the competative racer was meant to be a new gamer from across the internet. Are Sega GT files made in career or timetrial mode with the intention of that same original creator playing them? and we are then flipping it so someone else is playing the file instead? Just curious as to what the original role of ghost racer files were on Sega GT

the ghost data in Sega GT is really just plain ol ghost data. you do a time trial run, then after the race it gives you the ability to save ghost data. then to use it you go select your car, track.. etc, but after you select your tranny it gives you the option to turn on ghost, you select yes, then choose the file from the mem card and then race the ghost. nothing really fancy, but racing a ghost is always great for shaving seconds off your time.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:10 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
OK I read this but my brain is dead right now, I will make an edit when I wake up and can think competantly. I have been working on client work for 15 hours str8. I got lots to say.