Topic: Quake 3 (test) server

Page 1 of 1
Na'Ryan[UK]
rank 6
Posted:
Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:51 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Think I finaly solved my problems (yay!)
So if you peeps could be kind enough to try out the server and tell me if it works?
IP is 62.190.232.107
I'm in the UK on 1mbit ADSL with pipex Internet.

Remembered all the important stuff like sv_pure 0, bot_enable 0, sv_maxclients 4 & sv_keywords "dreamcast"
Using the v1.16n patch, dcmappack and also have the segapak.pk3 file installed (dunno if that makes any difference to a dedicated sever?)

Frag limit is set to 20 and has no time limit, guess that's Quake 3 default rules.
But that can be changed.

Am only running maps dc_map02 to dc_map20 & dc_map24 as the readme said maps 21 to 23 were CTF maps so I did not know if they would be much use as DM maps??

Will add them back in if peeps want the server on more often and require those maps.

This is what I have in my server.cfg file ( I launch the game with the +set dedicated 2 +exec server.cfg commands)

Quote:

sv_keywords "dreamcast"
sv_pure 0
bot_enable 0
sv_maxclients 4
set m1 "map dc_map02 ; set nextmap vstr m2"
set m2 "map dc_map03 ; set nextmap vstr m3"
set m3 "map dc_map04 ; set nextmap vstr m4"
set m4 "map dc_map05 ; set nextmap vstr m5"
set m5 "map dc_map06 ; set nextmap vstr m6"
set m6 "map dc_map07 ; set nextmap vstr m7"
set m7 "map dc_map08 ; set nextmap vstr m8"
set m8 "map dc_map09 ; set nextmap vstr m9"
set m9 "map dc_map10; set nextmap vstr m10"
set m10 "map dc_map11 ; set nextmap vstr m11"
set m11 "map dc_map12 ; set nextmap vstr m12"
set m12 "map dc_map13 ; set nextmap vstr m13"
set m13 "map dc_map14 ; set nextmap vstr m14"
set m14 "map dc_map15 ; set nextmap vstr m15"
set m15 "map dc_map16 ; set nextmap vstr m16"
set m16 "map dc_map17 ; set nextmap vstr m17"
set m17 "map dc_map18 ; set nextmap vstr m18"
set m18 "map dc_map19 ; set nextmap vstr m19"
set m19 "map dc_map20 ; set nextmap vstr m20"
set m20 "map dc_map24 ; set nextmap vstr m1"
vstr m1

Let me know is anything is wrong or needs adding and I will fix\add it.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:58 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I attempted to test your server however, was unable to get info. Came back as not available. Sure you got the ports open on your router/network?

I have good news as well. I also got a dedicated PC Quake 3 server functional. So a fresh tutorial will be up soon on the site. I aquired my PC copy of quake 3 earlier this evening. Finally. And I just got a successfull LAN dedicated server tested and running.

Very Happy
Posted:
Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:23 am
quote : #3
yeah I'm having problems Sad

Set my router up to forward the port to the wife's pc (have even un-installed the firewall incase it was that), even tried setting the router to make the wife's pc the DMZ pc (when the firewall was still there)
Also added
Quote:
sv_master2 "master.id-q3a.games.sega.net"
to the server.cfg file.

Even gamespy 3d shows the server up as:

Quote:
unnamed 9999 1 62.190.232.107 27960 No response

When I used to host Serious Sam 1 & 2 servers it ran great.
Grr either Quake 3 if acting up or my router has a bug in this version of it's firmware Sad

Think I'll go cry Crying or Very sad

-

EDIT:Welp it must be working as two people have joined the server.
both had high pings 300 - 400ms (but since my upload rate was 1.5k sec Laughing) I guess they were Dreamcast users.

Gamespy still shows noinfo on my server, but meh to it any way.
Gamespy is a pile of poo anyway Razz

-

EDIT: Oh I give up.
Only way to get the Quake 3 server to work is to ser the pc it's running on as the DMZ.
Portforwarding the correct port just don't work on it's own Sad

Don't understand why as I have ran Quake 3 server before (using Quake 3 nomal and quake 3 rally) and it worked ok, but it might have been a patch higher than v1.16n

So either Quake 3 is problamatic or the router is acting up, or quake needs more than 1 port forwarded to it when running a server :S

(this thread was edited by administration for 'double posting'. please read the site rules, again.)

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:34 pm
quote : #4
OK here is what I have gotten running.

Dedicated Quake 3 server running Free For All (Deathmatch) games for all DM maps. I have gotten it to show up in the public list. I joined it while on a dreamcast with a BBA and a dreamcast with dialup, and then even another user joined the game. So it works.

Now, my next order of business is to try and get all the OTHER gamemodes working. Capture the Flag is being a serious pain in the ass right now.

Just a bit of warning a few things people who are working with setting up this server and have had problems.
1. you cannot ping your own server from its public IP. You would have to have someone else ping it or log onto the game via dialup, or connect to it via BBA using the LOCAL ip address of the machine.

2. Quake 3 didn't give my game the defualt 27960 port....it gave it 27967 instead. Not sure why it did this. So you might wanna look into opening a wider range or finding a way to check exactly what port the server is running off of. There is probobly a cmd to add this to the server.cfg file.

-----

By the way. Once I am done with this tutorial you should be able to set up a Quake 3 dedicated server....in less than 5 minutes. It's so easy, and basically any machine from a Pentium 200mHz and higher can run this no problem. The main problem of all the tutorials I have found is they all only provide PART of the information, leaving inconsistancies, spelling errors, and typos throughout the guides. Its rediculious. The tutorial here will be. A, B, C, D step by step all on down the line. Very simple to follow. So if something is wrong....its not the working properly....it will be your network, or your ISP or your computer hardware configuration.
Posted:
Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:51 am
quote : #5
Quote:
The main problem of all the tutorials I have found is they all only provide PART of the information, leaving inconsistancies, spelling errors, and typos throughout the guides. Its rediculious

Oh yeah!!!!!
Think I must have read them all.
And some of them on the realy big quake 3 sites are terrible!!!

Got it down to the fact that either Quake 3 hates me (it did used to make me realy ill back when it was 1st released, but that was due to monitor refresh rates).
Or it's either a hardware or software problem on both of my pc's.
The ADSL router is forwading the UDP packets to the pc's, I know that because when I close quake 3, my firewall logs access attempts unopened port 27960.

I might try using the other onboard NIC (the nvidia one) to see if it's that.
Never know might be something silly as the onboard 3COM one not handeling the Quake 3 UDP stuff correctly.

Anyhoo I look forward to seeing your Q3 quide as knowing me it's the simple thing that I have missed Razz

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:01 am
quote : #6
I could test your server if you need me to. Just zing me a pm with the IP and port.

Also you wouldn't happen to know how a dreamcast user would enter a passworded server would you?
Posted:
Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:48 pm
quote : #7
Welp it seems that it does work ok Smile
Thanks to lordnikon for testing it, and those few other peep that had joined but must have got bored with noone else to shoot Laughing

Anyhoo IP is 62.190.232.107
port is 27960.

Would be nice to get a few peeps in there to test it under combat (he he) conditions Wink