crazyBigDan
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:19 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
as some of you might/might not know...

nintendo's patten on the NES has run out... so third party developers are makeing their own NES's... like this company (i think its called messiah) is selling NES's for $60

and they are their own NES's featuring no glitchy cartridge contacts, and wireless controllers

wait like 15 years and we might have third party dreamcasts... with third party bba's and stuff...

but i think we'll move to wireless by then

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:34 am
quote : #2
We've actually had a 3rd party Dreamcast manufacturer (Tec Toy), but unfortunately, they were never interested in supplying BBAs. It's probable that they felt there wouldn't be a market for them where the Dreamcasts were being sent (South America) since a lot of people there still only had dial-up, if even that.

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:25 am
quote : #3
I've always wondered why people just don't make there own BBAs.

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:21 pm
quote : #4
Easier said than done. There are many reasons why you can't just make your own BBA. First off is the proprietary chipset that controls communication between the Realtek chip and the Dreamcast's expansion port (bus). You would have to dump the chip somehow, but that leads into the second problem, and that being that most of the components on the board are surface mount. Most people can't even solder regulary without making cold joints, let alone very tiny leads without causing an absolute disaster of molten solder covering everything.

Regular NICs have been interfaced to the DC through an ISA type interface, but can only be accessed from specialized software. Regular DC games can't recognize it.

I wish a third party manufacturer would see the demand for BBAs and how much people have to pay through auction sites (pretty much the only way to get them). I know I'd buy a few just so I can have a LAN party. The problem is that it costs a lot to put things like that into production. I've already thought of a lot of different ways to cut costs, like for anyone who wants a BBA to send their original Dreamcast 56K modem in, and the shrouding from that can be used for the BBA since they both use the same case. If you buy your electronics in bulk, production costs for the BBA could be very reasonable. I'm taking maybe $20 at most. The problem is if we had to get a molding company involved and shroudings made, hence my 56K idea.

Another problem is that a lot of the components are older, and may not be available.

Who knows, we may see them in the future, but we probably won't. You never know.

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:28 pm
quote : #5
It would be very hard to make your own but that send in your 56k idea is probably the best one I would think. Like you already have the connector that plugs into your DC. But I know that I is wayyy more complicated then that.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:53 pm
quote : #6
A few years back tthe original manufacturer of the BBA was saying, they would manufacture a new run if they could get 1000 pre-orders. This was barely when OC was first starting. Maybe even slightly before actually.

I want to say today we could pull that off...but 1000 is a HUGE number. 1000 x 60 =.....yea....
Posted:
Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:06 pm
quote : #7
it think it would be kinda hard to find a way to tell the people who want bba's or have thought about getting one about something like that

probably the easiest way would be through ebay and the various forums....

actually... it might be possible...

but w/e mayb someone could contact the BBA manufacturers and say like "hey can u hit you up on that deal?"

lol many we could talk them into making wireless adapters....

as my brother would say... "that would be pimp"

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:16 pm
quote : #8
uh.....60 GRAND up front.... remember these are manufacturers.... not retailers
Posted:
Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:23 pm
quote : #9
o

forgot that minute detail

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:19 am
quote : #10
Type: PAL
lordnikon wrote:
uh.....60 GRAND up front.... remember these are manufacturers.... not retailers

looks like we're all going to have to start playing the lottery then
rank 41
Posted:
Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:52 pm
quote : #11
Cranks lever: "Bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney. Rats." Actually I scored 400 dollars this week, my grandma decided to give me a hundred for every A I got. Shwing. Wink
rank 44
Posted:
Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:33 pm
quote : #12
Type: PAL
pakkitman wrote:
Cranks lever: "Bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney, bigmoney. Rats." Actually I scored 400 dollars this week, my grandma decided to give me a hundred for every A I got. Shwing. Wink
Shocked Shocked i only get a tenner if i do well "bloody hell!!!"