Topic: PC<>DC with VMware :: Works!

Page 2 of 2
XCLTempesT
rank 1
Posted:
Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:23 am
quote : #16
profile : pm
I connect my dreamcast to my XP machine by using a windows 98 SE install an a virtual PC using microsoft virtual PC 2004.

It works perfectly. It is slow, but I don't believe it is slower than a normal 33k connection. But I haven't tested the speed yet.
I use a Elsa Fun USB 56k modem. After installing the (beta) driver on XP, the modem gets a com port assignment. (com5 in my setup). (this is actually a virtual com port on winxp)
In virtual PC 2004, I change the setting for the com1 port in the virtual PC to use "physical com5" and then I scan for new hardware and a default 56k modem is detected in my virtual win98 machine.
After that you just follow the instructions on this site about getting a win98 se DC-PC server online.

By the way I use a cheap used "home telephone central" that I got on "marktplaats" (a dutch used products site) . Building a line simulator is more expensive and blind-dial options don't work for me. Also I had no luck using winxp as a dc-pc server, and I tried a lot of things.

An other option that works perfectly is getting a "internet sharing server". This is a router with a 56k modem build in or a com port that allows a 56k modem to be connected. But the modem router must support remote dial-in access, in order to get the dreamcast online.
I use a SVEC internet sharing server FD2160 and a pocket 56k modem. And this works perfectly!! (again with a telefone central connecting both modems) The big advantage is that the router automaticly pick-up the phone, and connects to your LAN network (and broadband connection).
But I heard that the netgear RM356 and some 3com modem routers also work.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:52 am
quote : #17
Type: NTSC-U/C
XCLTempesT wrote:
I use a SVEC internet sharing server FD2160 and a pocket 56k modem. And this works perfectly!! (again with a telefone central connecting both modems) The big advantage is that the router automaticly pick-up the phone, and connects to your LAN network (and broadband connection).
But I heard that the netgear RM356 and some 3com modem routers also work.

I have always wondered about these, but the product descriptions were always so vague. So, you connect your Dreamcast, dial into the router, and it can share the LAN's internet connection? What games have you tested this with?
Posted:
Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:40 pm
quote : #18
Ditto. From the specs given on the Netgear website, I always assumed it was for sharing a 56K connection, not to also act as a RAS server.

I've been experimenting with the VOIP adapters. I'm using the PAP2 model from Linksys.

XCLTempesT
rank 1
Posted:
Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:12 pm
quote : #19
I tested the SVEC FD2160 with the dreamkey 3.0 browser and with the US version of Quake 3.
As far as I know these are the only "games" that are still online, so I don't see the point in testing with others.

I haven't tested with the Rm356 from netgear but it should work just as well. According to the specs it can act as a dial-in server to connect to a LAN over a modem link.

Are you able to connect to the net using a VoIP adapter? how if I may ask? these things aren't designed for this purpose. I'll look up the specs for the linksys PAP2 router, maybe I could use it for my CD-I project.

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:16 pm
quote : #20
No, they don't act as RAS servers from the beginning. You would still need the dial up server to handle the NAT portion, and possibally the authentication. I was really looking into them only with the possibility of creating middleware so you can use the VOIP adapters to link Saturn games over the net since they work on a basic PPP.