Page 1 of 1
pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:33 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/freelancer/news.html?sid=6140687

Slightly off topic (I'll understand if you take it down Nikon)...
Digital Anvil brought me two really cool space games: Starlancer, which is a great online game for the Dreamcast, and Freelancer, my favorite space shooter for the PC. Though the port was slightly rushed, I really like its online components (despite having been unable to try it more than a handful of times), and they were one of the few third party developers to really test the Dreamcast's online capabilities before production ended.
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:16 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Certiainly not offtopic, as it directly pertains to the Dreamcast, and an Online Game of course! I had actually cought wind of this a few weeks ago, even though GameSpot just posted the news. It was on my agenda to put it in the News here but had not gotten to it yet. I think I will take the time to do that as well. I would just move your post, but unfortunatly there has to be enough written text to comprise an article to wrap around the new icon that accompanies the story.

It was good to see GameSpot look up the information about Starlancer being on the Dreamcast. It does show that on the game space for each game there. However they could have easily said "developed Starlancer and Freelancer for the PC". Completly omitting the mention of the Dreamcast version.

Tor Thorsen is a solid reporter though, and he usually pays attention to details.
Posted:
Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:55 pm
quote : #3
Sigh. This is a sad day. Starlancer and wing commander were great games(were? Are more like!) I hate seeing big companies like Microsoft, EA and Sony just buying out all of the smaller companies. It makes me sick.
Posted:
Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:26 pm
quote : #4
Type: PAL
hebe wrote:
Sigh. This is a sad day. Starlancer and wing commander were great games(were? Are more like!) I hate seeing big companies like Microsoft, EA and Sony just buying out all of the smaller companies. It makes me sick.

somtimes it can be a good thing when companies get bought out, like nintendo buying out retro
rank 14
Posted:
Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:12 pm
quote : #5
Ya, I saw the Gamespot Article a day or two ago. Made me very sad, just cause now all my slim hopes of a starlancer sequel are now even slimmer.

I'm even sadder because a bunch of the Psynosis team who made my favorite game series, Colony Wars, ended up at Digital Anvil (including Chris Roberts) after Sony disbanded Psynosis. I guess the genre really is dead, for now at least. I have hopes that games based on Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, and Stargate (that dont totally suck) could re-energise the genre, if anyone bothers to make more.

mcmonkey wrote:
hebe wrote:

somtimes it can be a good thing when companies get bought out, like nintendo buying out retro

The gamespot article said the Digital Anvil team would be broken up and people sent to other parts of the company. I don't really see how this can be good, except the benefit of a few Microsoft games getting some good people from Digital Anvil. I wont be buying a 360 and I dont buy PC games, so it wont really affect me i guess.
rank 44
Posted:
Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:47 pm
quote : #6
Type: PAL
Mertens wrote:
Ya, I saw the Gamespot Article a day or two ago. Made me very sad, just cause now all my slim hopes of a starlancer sequel are now even slimmer.

I'm even sadder because a bunch of the Psynosis team who made my favorite game series, Colony Wars, ended up at Digital Anvil (including Chris Roberts) after Sony disbanded Psynosis. I guess the genre really is dead, for now at least. I have hopes that games based on Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, and Stargate (that dont totally suck) could re-energise the genre, if anyone bothers to make more..

well there's always the rogue squadren games (but there not strictly of the ame genre)

Mertens wrote:
mcmonkey wrote:
hebe wrote:

The gamespot article said the Digital Anvil team would be broken up and people sent to other parts of the company. I don't really see how this can be good, except the benefit of a few Microsoft games getting some good people from Digital Anvil. I wont be buying a 360 and I dont buy PC games, so it wont really affect me i guess.

do u buy GBA/DS games? if so it might affect you.
rank 14
Posted:
Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:43 pm
quote : #7
Ya, I have the rogue squadron games too, but i really didn't like the third one. Spent way too much time out of a cockpit. There's the speeder bike level, two or three AT-AT missions, one where you run around with a blaster....and I just gave up without finishing. Not any fun for me. I'm not even sure if there are going to be more Rogue games either. Didn't Lucas Arts lay off a bunch of people a while ago?

I don't buy GBA or DS games either. What I meant about the Digital Anvil disbandment is that, whatever Microsoft thinks they can gain from splitting up the team, I won't be buying any of those games. I guess it's a nostalgia blow more than anything.
rank 41
Posted:
Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:02 am
quote : #8
Mertens wrote:

I'm even sadder because a bunch of the Psynosis team who made my favorite game series, Colony Wars, ended up at Digital Anvil (including Chris Roberts) after Sony disbanded Psynosis. I guess the genre really is dead, for now at least. I have hopes that games based on Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, and Stargate (that dont totally suck) could re-energise the genre, if anyone bothers to make more.

mcmonkey wrote:
hebe wrote:

There was a sequel to Starlancer, known as Freelancer on the PC. It follows the same story, albeit a few centuries later, and is in the same galaxies and all that jazz, although you play in a third person perspective, something that, while weird initially, is a very cool innovation.
rank 43
Posted:
Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:17 pm
quote : #9
Type: Pal
Mertens wrote:

mcmonkey wrote:
hebe wrote:

Didnt Psynosis also make the Destruction derby games? I am sure they did. I was surprised when I played Demolition racer no exit for the DC it was fantastic Smile and I am pretty sure this was one of the teams that spilt from Psynosis. Dunno what Destruction derby arenas was like online for ps2, but I regret that I have not and probably wont get to try it.

Laters
Posted:
Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:36 pm
quote : #10
pakkitman wrote:

There was a sequel to Starlancer, known as Freelancer on the PC. It follows the same story, albeit a few centuries later, and is in the same galaxies and all that jazz, although you play in a third person perspective, something that, while weird initially, is a very cool innovation.

Ya, I know a bit about freelancer from the lancersreactor site. I just dont have the right equipent to play it now or in the near future. I'm not really big on pc gaming. LOL, the only pc game I have is starlancer, because it was $2. I was hoping a starlancer sequel would finish the story (i.e. Allies win), and there's nobody else besides Moose who I would rather have behind me as a missile is homing in on the engines...
rank 41
Posted:
Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:05 pm
quote : #11
Mertens wrote:
pakkitman wrote:

Ya, I know a bit about freelancer from the lancersreactor site. I just dont have the right equipent to play it now or in the near future. I'm not really big on pc gaming. LOL, the only pc game I have is starlancer, because it was $2. I was hoping a starlancer sequel would finish the story (i.e. Allies win), and there's nobody else besides Moose who I would rather have behind me as a missile is homing in on the engines...

It does resolve it (I'm avoiding Spoilers here), but really quickly (i.e. the intro movie). On a side note, Freelancer runs on my computer, which is saying a lot, since mine is pretty chitty. Sure, you'll lose visual quality, but the game ran relatively smoothly on my 6 year old Dell rig.
rank 14
Posted:
Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:21 pm
quote : #12
pakkitman wrote:
It does resolve it (I'm avoiding Spoilers here), but really quickly (i.e. the intro movie). On a side note, Freelancer runs on my computer, which is saying a lot, since mine is pretty chitty. Sure, you'll lose visual quality, but the game ran relatively smoothly on my 6 year old Dell rig.

All I have right now is a laptop that is overheating right now. It never ran starlancer efficiently and I don't have a flight stick. So, maybe in the future when I can replace this laptop and find a flight stick.