Page 1 of 1
bomb78
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:03 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi,

I read the tutorial for this game and how to play it on line. I saw that there was just the vmi file to download and to transfer it to your memory.
Hmm i don't have any dreamcast memory linkable to the PC, i mean how can you transfer the save to your official visual memory ?
I saw that some homebrew cd contained many saves that you can transfer from the cd directly from your dreamcast to the visual memory, is that the only way you can transfer a save to the official memory, or should i buy another one with a link cable ?
Thanks for helping the newbie Smile

U-235
rank 18
Posted:
Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:08 pm
quote : #2
Ok I may be off but I believe you should download it using the PlanetWeb Browser. I downloaded it straight to my vmu while using PlanetWeb 2.0
Posted:
Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:22 am
quote : #3
Hmm you mean i should browse this site once connected with this browser and then download the save file directly then to my vmu ?

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:41 pm
quote : #4
That's correct. Use your PlanetWeb browser to access the download section of this site while on your Dreamcast. Once you're there, you can download the file directly to your VMU. It's a small file, so it only takes a few moments to download. Once you have downloaded it successfully, use the same VMU and file as your Maximum Pool save file in order to connect to the server.

Oh, and I would suggest downloading the file to a VMU not already containing a Maximum Pool game save. I tried saving over the top of my old Maximum Pool save file, and I couldn't get it to work correctly. I finally gave up and re-downloaded the file to a fresh VMU, and it worked right away.

How are my little crackers doing today?
Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:19 pm
quote : #5
Type: Pal
bomb78 wrote:
Hi,

I read the tutorial for this game and how to play it on line. I saw that there was just the vmi file to download and to transfer it to your memory.
Hmm i don't have any dreamcast memory linkable to the PC, i mean how can you transfer the save to your official visual memory ?
I saw that some homebrew cd contained many saves that you can transfer from the cd directly from your dreamcast to the visual memory, is that the only way you can transfer a save to the official memory, or should i buy another one with a link cable ?
Thanks for helping the newbie Smile

Let us know if you get into playing the game online. Very few DC players do play this game online or if they do they arnt saying or posting games. Segadreamcaster and I play fairly regualrly but he is having a break right now as his tv is being repaired. See my sig for my game time info. I am not on much right now as I am using my time off work to play a bit of pso but after jan 3 should be back on at least 2 times a week.

Laters
Posted:
Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:22 pm
quote : #6
Well to be honest i'm just trying to set up a pc-dreamcast server connection to avoid paying communication, moreover i have now cable and i am not using the telephone network so, i have to fix that otherwise i'll be obliged to subscribe to France telecom Sad

Kizzy
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:40 pm
quote : #7
Down loading the file to your DC is easy, it is up here somewhere but I cannot be arsed to give you a pointer towards it. I have pretty much given up on getting more players from this site to play this game. Basically most of you moan that games go offline and when a brilliant game comes back online (through several peoples hard work) you lot just pop off to the shower for a "Long Sunday Afternoon Hand-Shandy")

Pretty sad really because this game is better than any Xbox Pool/Snooker games I have played online!

Kizzy
(Off in a few days to the middle of nowhere! How nice!)

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:41 am
quote : #8
Type: NTSC-U/C
Kizzy wrote:
Down loading the file to your DC is easy, it is up here somewhere but I cannot be arsed to give you a pointer towards it. I have pretty much given up on getting more players from this site to play this game. Basically most of you moan that games go offline and when a brilliant game comes back online (through several peoples hard work) you lot just pop off to the shower for a "Long Sunday Afternoon Hand-Shandy")

Pretty sad really because this game is better than any Xbox Pool/Snooker games I have played online!

Kizzy
(Off in a few days to the middle of nowhere! How nice!)

I agree that there are a lot of people that complain that games are currently offline and wish them to be back online, that arn't playing the current Dreamcast Online games. I can also understand how you could be frustrated that more people are not playing online. Rallying up support for any online game is difficult. Its just the way it is. It involves hardwork, dedication, and is never easy. People have to get in the general habbit of playing the game online. I have just as much difficulty getting people to show up on the GameCube or PS2 as I do with the Dreamcast.

I think it is more productive to keep upbeat and optimistic about things, and continue to promote and support a game if you are trying to get more activity going. This is the only method I have found to work. Getting negative usually puts people off, and they get discouraged in the process.

I'll try and do what I can in the coming month to help out the Maximum Pool scene, and get a few more people involved, including myself.

bomb78 wrote:
Well to be honest i'm just trying to set up a pc-dreamcast server connection to avoid paying communication, moreover i have now cable and i am not using the telephone network so, i have to fix that otherwise i'll be obliged to subscribe to France telecom Sad

Do you have PlanetWeb 3.0? What browser do you have that you are using to configure your internet connection?

You can download the save file from the Downloads section with your BBA and PlanetWeb 3.0.
(I believe from a previous thread you stated you had a broadband adaptor)

As far as getting online with Maximum Pool, yes you will need dial-up isp access, or will need to setup a PC-DC server. The only working method at the moment is with Windows 98. You can find a guide for this in the Guides section. If you need further assistance on PC-DC server issues, feel free to also hit up the Network Tech forum.
Posted:
Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:16 am
quote : #9
Ok thanks for the advice, i have the broadband passport and download directly this file to the vmu, however i didn't know the pc-dc connection was only working with win98, i wasted 2 hours yesterday trying to set up a connection with windows xp Sad damn, i now have 2 choices, either installing win98 on an old PC or subscribing for a telephone line, second method will become costly Sad

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:29 am
quote : #10
Ok, well for WindowsXP you can try the old guide. Which only works for "some" people:

http://consolevision.com/members/mterlouw/

The guide we have up for Windows98 is a 100% sure fire method available that anyone and everyone should be able to get working, as long as they follow the guide exactly.

Someone here at the forums is working on a solution for XP, but its in progress at the moment and I don't have any status report at this time. The programmer will most likely come forth when he is done, as I'm sure he doesn't need people going "Is it done yet? is it done yet?"

I know maybe 2 people that have ever gotten it to work with Windows XP. Your best bet to get it working is to go with win98 on a spare machine.

If you have a spare PC you can run windows 98 on, I would go for it. It is going to take work and a lot of technical troubleshooting, but in the end you should be able to get it to function. Just be patient, and if you have spent to much time on it, take a break and come back to it later. It definatly takes some time to go through everything before you get it working.

You last solution is to just rock Quake 3 Arena with your BBA, and wait it out to see if an XP solution comes along sometime in the near future.
Posted:
Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:09 am
quote : #11
Nikon, It would be good if you could drum up a bit more interest in Max Pool. The game has a couple of faults with it (mainly the snooker rules which are wrong?), but it plays beautifully besides that and is a great laugh to play.

I mostly play a chap who lives in Germany (Ralf) , we play a lot of snooker and have become two good friends that have never met!?

I cannot stress how many good variations of the pool theme are in this game, plus it is not expensive to buy! Even those of us in Europe can buy it from the USA or Canada for just a few quid. (In fact the cost of about two or three pints of beer!)

For those of you that have not bothered because of loading the game save to reactivate your game, then shame on you! It is very easy and takes 30 seconds. I owe a big thank you to those who pointed me in the right direction with uploading the game save.

It is amazing how you get to know several players within a short time that will always give you a good game and at the same time wind each other up when each is playing badly. Another plus point for the game is that it has helped me speak better German than before (although mostly insults in reply to the insults Ralf throws at me during a game of snooker), I will never be fluent from playing it, but who cares i am enjoying myself at the same time!

I still cannot understand why a game that always has a minimum of 100 people playing it (whatever your timezone) attracts so few people from this website? It is such a shame after all the hard work that people put in getting the game back online.

So please do yourself a favour and give it a go, you will be pleasently surprised how well the game plays!

All the best folks, have a great New Years Eve!

Kizzy

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:17 am
quote : #12
I'm going to be getting online with this myself soon, and I will get more documenation up on hosting events, AND I am thinking of some ways to do some monthly events, with a new game each month as the feature game. Then to pick a certain time that is good for all timezones, and I myself would be the hoster / organizer. Usually when I post stuff peoples ears tend to perk up a bit.

So don't worry I have some stuff on the brain and will be doing what I can to get some attention on Maximum Pool(F355 as well).

Ok, sleepy time for me, I'm beat! Smile