Page Location: Home > Archive - News > Topic
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
RobJohnson
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:59 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
I used to have a really good time playing with you, Brian, even though we could never seem to set a time that was good for us we would get a few runs in before one of us had to go. Anyway, i'd assume the PAL servers would be the better option....For such a rare game to get your hands on you have to actually care about it more than most people, and not want to ruin it so i'm sure there are less hackers on the PAL servers. It just makes sense, and as soon as my lazy ass gets a bank account and a debit card i'll be hunting down PAL PSO to play with you guys.
Posted:
Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:06 pm
quote : #17
Yes Rob we did have some good times on PSO. You are one of the few people on those servers who chose to play legit, and actually I credit you with getting me on the path to being a true legit player. (Not to diss any of my friends on the PAL servers, but Rob was the first person I really played PSO with) And I REALLY hope you do come over to the PAL servers. If you do, I have a lot of stuff in my bank I need to offload on you, Rob! Mr. Green
Posted:
Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:19 pm
quote : #18
Haha, sure thing, for whatever reason I got out of PSO for a long time but i'm ready to play again.
Posted:
Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:08 am
quote : #19
U-235 wrote:
Well I haven't played on the hack servers in a long time. But I know for a FACT that the droprate is different. Please don't comment on the PAL servers if you don't play and really know what it's about Jizz Missle. Yes a lot of it IS encoded on your disc, but when you bring it online all the information and such is on the servers. Like I said I have gathered my info because I have actually played on both sets of servers, and when I left, Famitsu Maximum attack was not on there. I have had 10x better experience on the PAL servers. I have gotten FSOD on schthack *too many times to count*. Like RobJohnson said, IMP@QT a malicious hacker does not have to been in the team to cause problems for your. In addition to this, the people on the PAL servers are a lot nicer than the ones on SCHTHACK. I'll admit at first I disagreed with onlineconsoles sanctions on homebrew PSO, but after playing the PAL servers I fully support it. Think about it, wouldn't you rather play PSO on Sega's official servers the way it was MEANT to be played? I know I do.

edit: Yes IMP@QT we know that Sega will eventually drop the servers. I don't see it as "screwing us". It's all about business sense. Would you keep something going you weren't making any money off of? Yes we are on "borrowed time" as Nikon put it, and I for one am going to enjoy all of it I can. Also guys it might be duly noted that Schthack himself has been on the PAL servers, so if it weren't for the PAL servers, you guys on his server wouldn't have Famitsu Maximum Attack OR *any* downloadable offline quests. Sure it's nice knowing I have somewhere to go when the PAL servers do go down, but until that time, you can bet my PSO time will be on the PAL servers.

sorry bro, but servers do not affect drop rate at all. if they did, there would be special shit happening over on the "other" servers where u would find rares you normally cannot.

and i have played on the eu servers. when did you leave schthack server? like a year ago? fsod RARELY occurs on there (ive gotten FSODed ONCE and thats because my backup copy was a peice of shit so i had to dig up my old us v2 disc)

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:04 am
quote : #20
Type: PAL
hey , to be honest i dont know much about hacking/unlegit, but i was playing with a guy on pso last night and he said he was using "codes" so you must be able to hack on the normal servers aswell?!?!? he seemed nice enough though so i carried on playing , that was the first unlegit player i've played with online and to be honest it was just like normal, nothing hapened to my file or account. I suppose most the people that screw up online games have moved on from dc pso to a more recent game.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:28 am
quote : #21
Type: NTSC-U/C
For starters, enough arguing about the drop rates. U-235 and Jizz Missile, neither of you are providing any concrete evidence to support that drop rates are the same or different on each server. You are both just claiming that "you know". Frankly, this is not really a discussion for this thread.

Also, this thread is NOT about sitting around arguing which server is better or worse. Where each user decides they want to play is up to them, unfortunatly this decision does have bearing whether you interact with PSO at this website. But in the end this is up to each person, and this discussion won't be used to convince people to go one way or the other. This thread is really about discussing or answering any questions users might have about the current status of PSO at this website and its future here. Most of which was answered in the article, but the thread is unlocked to allow for any questions or comments on the matter anyway.

So enough discussions about the differences between the servers. That is immaterial. The only thing that matters is THIS community will be run to play PSO in an environment with the goal of never EVER having to worry about cheating or hacking directly or indirectly influencing the game. It will be a constant goal to play in the best environment available to us where we can achieve this.

Quote:
For such a rare game to get your hands on you have to actually care about it more than most people, and not want to ruin it so i'm sure there are less hackers on the PAL servers. It just makes sense...

Very good point ^^^

lozz wrote:
hey , to be honest i dont know much about hacking/unlegit, but i was playing with a guy on pso last night and he said he was using "codes" so you must be able to hack on the normal servers aswell?!?!? he seemed nice enough though so i carried on playing , that was the first unlegit player i've played with online and to be honest it was just like normal, nothing hapened to my file or account. I suppose most the people that screw up online games have moved on from dc pso to a more recent game.

You might not have acquired dupes (assuming you didn't accept any items from him), and you may not have been corrupted, but your gameplay experience was still altered. The sequence of events would have played out differently had he raised a 100% legit character with items acquired at the proper times over the course of his playtime. See, when a user dupes items they acquire weapons before they were supposed to. Thus their charcter is more powerfull than they should be at that time. When you play with them, enemies fall faster, you get healed better, and the other player might not know all of the nuances of playing the game simply because he never took the time to do things like grow mags or combine items. The entire outcome of the game is changed.

So maybe had the person been legit, your experience would have been harder, more epic, and more memorable.
Posted:
Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:11 am
quote : #22
I kept trying to explain to people who were hacking that it's just more fun to play legit, I mean the items they have, may they be rare, mean nothing because they simply stole them instead of earning them. And yes, I consider duping/hacking for an item to be stealing, you might not be stealing from someone else...But you're robbing yourself of memories, and the satisfaction of knowing that you deserve that item.

That's just what I think about it, how you want to play is up to you but it is really effecting everyone else even if you don't think it is, it's taking away from other peoples fun when you cheat/hack.
Posted:
Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:02 am
quote : #23
nice write up LN, I totally agree. However, it's probably not a good idea to link to any sites (like schthack's) that are FULL of warez. That's one of the main reasons I don't like Schthack or his servers, he supports warez, and almost everyone is using a pirated copy of PSO us or PSO PC for those servers, it's disgusting.

I wish Sega would just give us the actual software one day.

thanks,

King.
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:09 pm
quote : #24
I am going to just put the URL in an general dreamcast online faq in the guides section. There are people who come here and want to get online but, they don't necessarily care about this sites policies or the community really. They just want to get online and play some video games. Then after they have had their fill, they move on. Its amazing how many people I have seen come here and get SO EXCITED over seeing all these people into Dreamcast Online you'd think their spleen was going to explode. Only then to sell their Dreamcast and newly acquired BBA on eBay after a month. There are people that just don't take the Dreamcast or Dreamcast Online as serious as we do, and this is all just one little interest peak in their life. IN a few years some people may drop video games alltogether and take up mountain biking, leaving what games they did have to rot in the closet.

As far as piracy, honestly, I could care less if most of the people on Homebrew PSO are pirating the game. Would you rather have them buying up all the GD-ROMs? I parouse those forums every once and a while to see if people are asking wacko questions about Dreamcast Online, so I can slide in and provide some accurate information rather than have things be all skewed and twisted. I seen some kid over there had his PSO GD-ROM stepped on by his mother, and shattered, because he was stupid enough to leave the damn thing on the floor.

The more copies of real PSO those people buy, the less intact pristine copies are available for those diehard Dreamcast gamers like us.

Eventually it will also get to the point where you just can't find the games anymore in their original released format. Take for instance Radiant Silvergun for the Sega Saturn. Honestly I can't get angry at anyone that wants to pirate that game and play it. The cost of buying a legitimate release is very very expensive. I can't afford it, I know others who can't afford it, so playing the game via an emulator or pirating an ISO seems completly fine to me. What if someone posted a rom link to Spiderman Web of Fire for the 32X in their signiture? Hell, I will never ever have enough money to go out and justify buying that game. Its rare, not all that amazing (hehe amazing..spiderman...amazing...get it...ehhhhhh), and I will probobly never own a real version of that game.

I don't get my panties in a bunch over pirating games that no longer send money to A.) the developers / publishers or B.) the console manufacture. People from the US pirating Dreamcast PSO isn't effecting Sega, or Sonic Team anymore. Maybe if these gamers are in Japan, where the game still has a monthly fee.

The reason I don't support the open discussion of warez here, is not because I am blindly saying "warez are bad, never ever pirate anything, its piracy, its bad bad bad". I am against open discussion of it because it is impossible to relate to people who pirate everything. They don't play the games, or get into them enough. So holding a discussion with them about games is IMPOSSIBLE. They pop on every game they acquire for a 5 minute quick teaser, then move on the to the next one "oo lets see what this game is like...hmm ok NEXT!" They just arn't on the same level so to speak, as those who buy games to own. Gamers who actually pay for and acquire real versions of games take way more stock in the release. Plus, leechers have a tendency to be "gimme gimme gimme" about everything.

In-fact, in the next few years I was thinking about allowing the open discussion and trade of pirated Dreamcast Online games. Eventually Starlancer and Quake 3 will be very hard to find. I can't just sit here and tell people "Tough shit, buy the original", when there are no originals to buy!

Sure, if people are pirating a new Dreamcast release, that ticks me off. Hell if people are pirating a game like Cool Herders, that ticks me off even more because you KNOW that game isn't going to sell out or anything, and the publishers really need to support to pump out another professional homebrew releases. Plus these releases are SO goddamn affordable its not even funny. You'd have to be a homeless bum not to be able to eventually pay for these titles. Anyone who rips and distributes these games as tradable ISO's deserves a bat to the face.

BUT, if its just a bunch of random gamers pirating a game that was released 6 years ago, and frees up more original GD-ROM's for serious game enthusiasts, then it really doesn't bother me at all.

I wish we could just press up fresh GD-ROMS of every Dreamcast game available. But we can't. Will I ever be able to get a brand new sealed copy of US / NTSC Project Justice? Chances are slim. And if I ever do, I can gaurantee I will have to pay out the ass for it.
Posted:
Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:24 pm
quote : #25
Type: Pal
Quote Lordnikon: Will I ever be able to get a brand new sealed copy of US / NTSC Project Justice? Chances are slim. And if I ever do, I can gaurantee I will have to pay out the ass for it.

Going off topic but there are quite a few on Ebay from $30 to $50, not too bad for a rare game.

Laters
Posted:
Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:34 pm
quote : #26
Are you searching ebay.co.uk? or ebay.com? I checked ebay.com and found only used copies. The only new factory sealed US copy was going for $199.99 buy it now Embarassed

I am looking to acquire a factory sealed copy of the game. Hence the dillema. Also, I just spent a GRIP of cash on various other rare games and oddities over the past few weeks(so many goodies Very Happy). So it will be a while before I can muster up more money to go shopping around for Project Justice. So as time goes on the chances decrease of course to get a sealed release.
Posted:
Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:50 pm
quote : #27
Type: NTSC-U
thats one of the main reason I dont jump on people for pirating DC games is because they most likely wont play them too long so why let them get a new and sealed version of it. I myself have a few copies of V2 still sealed. Only game I have ever bought multiple copies of just for the hell of it, then agian I got some of em for less than a buck on ebay. so like 5 bucks at most with shipping. Of course I hate when our homebrew games get ripped. At least probably the biggest torrent trading DC site out there has a 3 month rule, which is better than nothing. Bu tif osmeone wants to d/l it that bad they will find it.

IMP@QT
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:59 pm
quote : #28
lordnikon wrote:
There are people who come here and want to get online but, they don't necessarily care about this sites policies or the community really. They just want to get online and play some video games. Then after they have had their fill, they move on. Its amazing how many people I have seen come here and get SO EXCITED over seeing all these people into Dreamcast Online you'd think their spleen was going to explode. Only then to sell their Dreamcast and newly acquired BBA on eBay after a month. There are people that just don't take the Dreamcast or Dreamcast Online as serious as we do, and this is all just one little interest peak in their life. IN a few years some people may drop video games alltogether and take up mountain biking, leaving what games they did have to rot in the closet.
I may have been gone for a few months, but that was just because of no internet/PC, but i would never make the mistake i made in the past and sell my DC, NO NO UH UH!!
Posted:
Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:04 pm
quote : #29
Those of you who are planning to buy Dreamcast PSO to play online need to keep in mind that, at this point anyway, the only version guaranteed online "forever" is the EU version. Why? It's the only version that doesn't require a HL check. Last I'd heard from Schthack (I asked him point blank) was that the other versions (US & JP) still must go through Sega for the HL check. If / when Sega shuts it off (and why haven't they already?) then the US version won't work even on Schthacks server.

Note: I haven't kept up on Schthacks server lately, so if any of you know the above information to now be incorrect please let me know.

About the whole piracy issue, I HATE the excuse that just because something is expensive to buy means that it is ok to take it for free. That's never a reason. Just because my neighbor has a Ferrari 355 doesn't mean I should steal one because i somehow have a "right" to own one too. Having said that, I have pirated many a game in my day and don't care if others do the same. Just use a better excuse. Smile

IMP@QT
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:13 pm
quote : #30
M1Savage wrote:
Last I'd heard from Schthack (I asked him point blank) was that the other versions (US & JP) still must go through Sega for the HL check. If / when Sega shuts it off (and why haven't they already?) then the US version won't work even on Schthacks server.
Dricas Authentication Server... Yea...

M1Savage wrote:
Having said that, I have pirated many a game in my day and don't care if others do the same. Just use a better excuse. Smile
ROFL! Man that was genuine there... Good point tho Cool