Page Location: Home > Archive - News > Topic
Previous  1, 2, 3
lordnikon
rank 86
Posted:
Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:07 pm
quote : #31
profile : pm
Posts: 5893
Type: NTSC-U/C
IMP@QT wrote:
lordnikon wrote:
There are people who come here and want to get online but, they don't necessarily care about this sites policies or the community really. They just want to get online and play some video games. Then after they have had their fill, they move on. Its amazing how many people I have seen come here and get SO EXCITED over seeing all these people into Dreamcast Online you'd think their spleen was going to explode. Only then to sell their Dreamcast and newly acquired BBA on eBay after a month. There are people that just don't take the Dreamcast or Dreamcast Online as serious as we do, and this is all just one little interest peak in their life. IN a few years some people may drop video games alltogether and take up mountain biking, leaving what games they did have to rot in the closet.
I may have been gone for a few months, but that was just because of no internet/PC, but i would never make the mistake i made in the past and sell my DC, NO NO UH UH!!

Hehe I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about people in general. Lots of people who have been gone a year, or made 20 posts or something. They spend forever and ask so many tech support questions, and finallly after weeks of help from other users they get online...play 1 game of Q3 and then sell everything. Its like they just want to satisfy their immediate curriosity.

M1Savage wrote:
Those of you who are planning to buy Dreamcast PSO to play online need to keep in mind that, at this point anyway, the only version guaranteed online "forever" is the EU version. Why? It's the only version that doesn't require a HL check. Last I'd heard from Schthack (I asked him point blank) was that the other versions (US & JP) still must go through Sega for the HL check. If / when Sega shuts it off (and why haven't they already?) then the US version won't work even on Schthacks server.

Note: I haven't kept up on Schthacks server lately, so if any of you know the above information to now be incorrect please let me know.

This is not entirely accurate. US V2 requires authentication, however US V1 does not. I can't remember about JP V1, I know I tested it but I can't remember if it works or not. JPV2 i have no idea, and EU v1 or v2 I have no idea. I am going to test version 1 EU sometime soon. I was waiting until I had tested all the versions before I released any results, because I like to, as always finish the research so that I can answer everyones questions at once as opposed to having to do them in piecemeal over time.

US V1 is online forever. I have tested it in a closed off environment completly disconnected from a primary internet source.

M1Savage wrote:
About the whole piracy issue, I HATE the excuse that just because something is expensive to buy means that it is ok to take it for free. That's never a reason. Just because my neighbor has a Ferrari 355 doesn't mean I should steal one because i somehow have a "right" to own one too. Having said that, I have pirated many a game in my day and don't care if others do the same. Just use a better excuse. Smile

I wasn't saying that price is an excuse. I buy brand new sealed copies of games. If a scratch ends up on one of my video games, I want to be the one responsible. I don't want there to be a scratch on a disc and then it gets re-nicked and then the entire disc is ruined. Buying a brand new sealed game means maximum lifespan. This is a fickle thing I have about buying disc based games. I can buy used carts no problem. But for disc based media I want a brand new copy. It is what I prefer. Now, if Project Justice brand new sealed is rare, and going for 200 dollars (probobly could find it for about 100 somewhere else, 70 if im lucky), by the time I get around to having the money to buy it, all of the sealed versions will all be gone, and most likely opened.

2 Years from now you will be lucky to find a used copy of Border Down on eBay, let alone sealed.

If there are 1000 copies of Quake 3 Arena out there selling for 60 dollars a year from now, I will be telling people to just buy the game. But if there are only 2 copies available and they are selling for 60 dollars a year from now, and there are 20 people here at the site trying to buy Quake 3 Arena, I think thats when piracy can become a positive.

Its about supply and demand, not price. When I talk about high prices I am using the price as an indication that stock is depleating, forcing the game to be declared as rare, and then quickly can become near unattainable.

I live in the US right now and I am trying to find an old game for the PC. I actually had written a small write up just now, but just found a copy I am going to try and buy on eBay. 1 copy and thats it. I have been searching for months for this thing. Old PC game preservation is a very serious problem. People tend to discard software discs. Try to find old classic PC games and you'll have a hard time finding some of them. When this happens this is where piracy comes into play as a positive thing. There are some games where I have a bunch of friends that want to play it and we can't even find ONE COPY of the game anywhere, online or in real stores. The goal right now is just to even find the thing, and then replicate it so we can all play online against each other.

I should also remind people that remember, Quake 3 is OFFLINE in europe. So now we have to supply both the US and Europe with only North America's stock of Quake 3 Arena GD-ROMS. This really cuts into the available supply of this game when you think about it.

Atleast with the Dreamcast we have the option to increase the available surplus of a game with ease. For other platforms pirating software is a lot more difficult.
  _________________
I'm already numero uno on Dark Helmet's hit list...
Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:10 pm
quote : #32
profile : pm
Posts: 1285
Type: Pal
lordnikon wrote:
Are you searching ebay.co.uk? or ebay.com? I checked ebay.com and found only used copies. The only new factory sealed US copy was going for $199.99 buy it now Embarassed

I am looking to acquire a factory sealed copy of the game. Hence the dillema. Also, I just spent a GRIP of cash on various other rare games and oddities over the past few weeks(so many goodies Very Happy). So it will be a while before I can muster up more money to go shopping around for Project Justice. So as time goes on the chances decrease of course to get a sealed release.


Sorry this is me being very stupid and totaly mising the new and sealed part of the post. I will check them for you later but I guess they were not sealed. Talk about the pain of rare games just ask Segadreamcaster he paid over 100 I think for disk only netlink version of Daytona for Saturn. He has since been offerd nearly twice that by one of the defeated other bidders.

AS for people who pirate game not using them I guess that depends on the reason. I will be honest and say that I bought the first few of my seganet games but it cost me around 50 for each game Sad I object to games being regionalised as a gamer it realy pissed me off so after i bought AFO, BMO PSO ver 2 NTSC and Unreal I got my seganet games via pirate means. I had Q3 NTSC, OUttrigger, Ooga booga, WSB2k2, NFL 2K2 and 4x4 all on Pirate copys. Of those Q3 NTSC, Ooga booga, Outrigger, WSB2K2 and 4x4 all recived multiple plays some into the hundreds of hours. So I guess it realy does depend on the reason.

JUst made me think 4x4 is now the only game left online I dont have an original copy of Sad best get one.

Laters
  _________________
Now have a working PC DC server courtesy of Segadreamcaster. Bring on the DC on line games yeeee haaa.
M1Savage
rank 12
Posted:
Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:44 pm
quote : #33
profile : pm
Posts: 190
Nikon- You are indeed correct about the USv1(someone else just emailed me telling me the same thing) and I think you'll find that EUv1 and EUv2 are the same. I don't own the JP versions so I've never tested them. Anyway, my post was mainly because there are quite a few people buying the US version thinking that they can play online forever when in reality they could be "shut off" at any time. As for the piracy part, I was mainly poking fun. Arguing about game piracy on the internet is like winning the special olympics, even if you win you're still......well, you know the rest. Smile

Back on topic (somewhat) - there has been quite an increase in activity lately on the EU servers, especially people from Germany and even some from the US. It's nice being able to find people to play with again at the times I can get on.
 
lordnikon
rank 86
Posted:
Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:45 pm
quote : #34
profile : pm
Posts: 5893
Type: NTSC-U/C
Blast wrote:
lordnikon wrote:
Are you searching ebay.co.uk? or ebay.com? I checked ebay.com and found only used copies. The only new factory sealed US copy was going for $199.99 buy it now Embarassed

I am looking to acquire a factory sealed copy of the game. Hence the dillema. Also, I just spent a GRIP of cash on various other rare games and oddities over the past few weeks(so many goodies Very Happy). So it will be a while before I can muster up more money to go shopping around for Project Justice. So as time goes on the chances decrease of course to get a sealed release.


Sorry this is me being very stupid and totaly mising the new and sealed part of the post. I will check them for you later but I guess they were not sealed. Talk about the pain of rare games just ask Segadreamcaster he paid over 100 I think for disk only netlink version of Daytona for Saturn. He has since been offerd nearly twice that by one of the defeated other bidders.

AS for people who pirate game not using them I guess that depends on the reason. I will be honest and say that I bought the first few of my seganet games but it cost me around 50 for each game Sad I object to games being regionalised as a gamer it realy pissed me off so after i bought AFO, BMO PSO ver 2 NTSC and Unreal I got my seganet games via pirate means. I had Q3 NTSC, OUttrigger, Ooga booga, WSB2k2, NFL 2K2 and 4x4 all on Pirate copys. Of those Q3 NTSC, Ooga booga, Outrigger, WSB2K2 and 4x4 all recived multiple plays some into the hundreds of hours. So I guess it realy does depend on the reason.

JUst made me think 4x4 is now the only game left online I dont have an original copy of Sad best get one.

Laters

OH man, dont get me started on netlink games. I am trying to desperatly find Daytona and Virtual On netlinked. I remember when MasterChief got these sealed brand new on eBay for like 14 bucks!!! I could strangle him right now!!!! but...i can't do that since he lives in chicago and will be my only opponent for netlink haha Mr. Green

So yea, stuff can just dissappear of the face of the planet, and that is when I feel piracy can be good.
  _________________
I'm already numero uno on Dark Helmet's hit list...
crazyBigDan
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:15 pm
quote : #35
profile : pm
Posts: 65
Type: NTSC-U/C
Quote:
They don't play the games, or get into them enough. So holding a discussion with them about games is IMPOSSIBLE. They pop on every game they acquire for a 5 minute quick teaser, then move on the to the next one "oo lets see what this game is like...hmm ok NEXT!" They just arn't on the same level so to speak, as those who buy games to own. Gamers who actually pay for and acquire real versions of games take way more stock in the release. Plus, leechers have a tendency to be "gimme gimme gimme" about everything.


i totally feel that part about "you will cherish it, if you pay money for it"

simply put, i don't have a good time playing pirates... 'cause its not something i've worked for so i don't really cherish it...

like, my quake 3... i love that thing to death... i bought it sealed (granted it was for $10)... but i'd never leave that on the floor... if anything... i would sleep with it... you what?, kno i think i will

anyways... long story short... things mean more to me if i sacrifice for them instead of having them given to me...

if i could buy a copy of halflife and propeller arena for DC... i totally would


o ya... i'm trying to get my friend online over here... hes kool... knows to cherish stuff too... he just needs some phone cable long enough and a copy of q3 for something... the reason hes not doin it is 'cause he playing skies of arcadia too much
 
segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:55 pm
quote : #36
profile : pm
Posts: 810
Type: NTSC-U/C
Did I hear my name mentioned Smile

Yes I still can't belive I paid such a high price for Daytona netlink....I bought the other 4 relatively cheaply, but Daytona netlink is extremely rare indeed....Blast was right as well, I only have the disc and the manual for it, that is all I have....but hey at least I have it and my other 4 netlink games are in perfect condition. Lord did you say that masterchief has Dayona netlink? are you sure?....lol....if so I may have to ask him if he is willing to scan me the cover...desperate for that...lol...I think he owes me one anyway as Im pretty sure it was him who outbid me on a 2 pack of netlink games once? Virtua on and Sega rally I believe...lol

By the way while we are kinda on the subject...does anybody have any ideas why a keyboard wouldnt work via the netlink KB adapter? I have used a UK keyboard and even brought back a US keyboard to try from the USA but that doesnt work either, tried on both my PAL and NTSC saturns...no joy...any clues? or do you think (like me) that I might have a faulty KB adapter?

Anyway, suppose I should comment on the post Smile which I am in total agreement with as I have expressed many times before and it is good to have all bases covered so that people can now be referred to that instead of typing out long winded replies each time...good work Smile

Cheers, Craig
  _________________
Game Names:

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
jizz missile
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:56 am
quote : #37
profile : pm
Posts: 23
JP V1 needs verification because you had to get a hunters license for it

[edited by administration: quit bickering please]
 
martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:15 am
quote : #38
profile : pm
Posts: 455
It's good to see that you've still got your principles and you're still doing "the right thing," Nikon. I know I'm pretty much perma-absent from the site nowadays, but I do pop in from time to time, and I do still hit up the PAL PSO late at night, too (despite my hardcore WoW addiction).

Yes, I read the whole post that you linked to. Everything there made perfect sense to me.
  _________________
As the audio experience is integral to this game,
for maximum enjoyment, headphones or an ideal listening
environment are highly recommended.
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Display:   
 
View previous topic - View next topic
Page Location: Home > Archive - News > Topic
Previous  1, 2, 3