Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:58 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Some of you may have already had enough sense to try this, but I just figured it out a few days ago. Here's the deal - on another board someone asked if there were decent wireless controllers out there for Dreamcast. The quick response wireless controllers were released by a 3rd party company, but they pretty muched sucked and weren't worth tracking down.

I chuckled, thinking it was too bad that a version of my great Logitech wireless controllers for PS2 never came out for Dreamcast. Then, an image of my PS to Dreamcast controller adapter flashed in my mind. Nah, it couldn't be that easy, could it?

Uh, yeah, it is that easy and works perfectly. I just wouldn't suggest it for driving games due to the lack of analog triggers for gas and brake.

That took me waaay too long to figure out. Neutral

How are my little crackers doing today?
[UKR]Adam1902
rank 17
Posted:
Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:10 pm
quote : #2
Very Happy nice find mate,
i bet many people on here who have the PS2-DC input but hav'nt thought of that too, lol

Name is xADAMx on SunstriderEU.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:47 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
That is awesome! I think a lot of us theorized that this might work. But we all just guessed wrong, assuming it wouldn't work.

Thanks for testing this! The logitech PS2 controllers are the best 3rd party wireless controllers on the market. It is fantastic that these work with the Dreamcast.

So there is no response lag at all?
Posted:
Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:15 am
quote : #4
i saw a preview of such things in DCM #6 from the TGS 2000 article.
Did it not become a reality like so many other DC peripherals?

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:30 pm
quote : #5
Nikon, there is absolutely no lag at all, and the rumble function works too. You would never know the Logitech controller wasn't plugged in. I don't even have to worry about obstructing the visual path to the receiving unit. The signal must be pretty strong, because it's never missed or sent bad info. Plus, the controller uses just two AA batteries, and even with rumble on, it lasts for over 50 hours. Turn the rumble off and it lasts for more than double that time. Here's a picture and info of the controllers I have:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,crid=2277,contentid=8157,detail=2

I've only used the Logitech units, which are licensed by Sony as the official wireless controllers for PS2, so I haven't tested this with any other 3rd party maker. I was told right off that Logitech's wireless controllers were the best, so the dude at Game Crazy really convinced me not to get another type. The controllers retail for $39.99, but I found two pre-owned for $19.99 each. Both looked like they had never been used at all. For anyone looking around for some of these, I would suggest searching around a bit for a deal.

I can now kick back on my couch, which is 8-10 feet away from the DC, and not have to use cheapo Dreamcast controller extension cords.

[UKR]Adam1902
rank 17
Posted:
Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:41 pm
quote : #6
Thats great,

Shocked and i just thought, those controllers have 2 sticks right??
do they both work with the dreamcast? becasue if they do, then its DC Q3 Controller heaven Rolling Eyes , lol.

Name is xADAMx on SunstriderEU.
pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:12 pm
quote : #7
No, only one analog stick is functional with the Dreamcast games. Still, this is a sweet find.
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:49 pm
quote : #8
Yea Dreamcast games were only programmed for 1 analog stick. The only possibility would be to tear apart a dual shock 1 and re-wire it so the rightside analog stick functioned instead of the leftside stick. So you could use the d-pad to move, and then the right analog stick to aim.

Although lately I am getting tired of wishing for this to happen, and am planning on just becoming amadextrious, and learning to aim with my left, and move with my right, and be able to play my PS2 FPS's and DC FPS's either way. The only problem is the face buttons on a DC, or even PS2 controller are a bit far apart for accurate directional movement. On the DC controller you gotta have big thumbs Shocked

Back on the wireless tip. I am going to invest in some of these soon. Its great that I could use these on either the DC or PS2. Wink

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:58 am
quote : #9
Yeah this is indeed a good find, nice one...gotta say im quite happy with the standard DC controller, but its great to know whats possible...guess its something which is pretty obvious really, but not many people actually think to try Smile good find Very Happy

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:03 pm
quote : #10
Now if I could find some working Bleempod! prototype controller adapters, I'd be in business. Supposedly the Bleem units allowed both analog sticks to be used on Dreamcast. Sadly, they were never released, but there are supposedly a set or two floating around out there. I've seen them offered twice, once by a private seller and once on eBay, and needless to say, they were insanely expensive.

Unerd_01
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:02 am
quote : #11
Type: PAL
The PS wireless set up really works great, The logitech pad is awesome and very similar to the 360's pad. as well as this i also have a madcatz wireless pad http://www.fungamesandtoys.com/product/32804. This works just as well, no lag, great range. I'd highly reccomend it, this pad also works with the original ps incase you have the 'DC Connection' adapter which i think only works with original ps pads?

Posted Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:58 pm:

I've just picked up another wireless PS2 Logitech pad but can't seem to get it to sync on the dreamcast through a PS2-DC controler adapter, anyone know how i should go about installing for the Dreamcast. I have one in use already but really can't remember what i did to set it up?

Logitech wireless sender has a blinking green light. the pad has no light on but if the sender is removed the pad then flashes a red light (i presume it's searching for the sender). This suggests that when no lights are flashing on the pad the controller has been found by the sender, however no buttons are working, although i've only tried this on the 'set-time' screen (yes my DC needs a new internal battery).

Anyone got any ideas?