Page Location: Home > StarLancer > Topic
1, 2  Next
Smurph
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:26 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Grr. I bought starlancer on ebay, and in the item description is "this game has been thoroughly tested and is working perfectly." It gets here, the jewel case is in perfect condition, but the game freezes at the "press start" screen, if it gets that far. I tried swapping out my BBA for a modem, but to no avail. My copy of starlancer is DOA. Crapmonkeys. "davidsellscheaper" is gonna hear about this.

Last edited by Smurph on Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

[UKR]Adam1902
rank 17
Posted:
Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:38 pm
quote : #2
Crying or Very sad that sucks dude...

Hope you get it sorted, hope that bitch gets his ass busted Twisted Evil

Name is xADAMx on SunstriderEU.
deadmanshand
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:39 pm
quote : #3
hate it when that happens i got the same problem with my copy everytime i load the game it keeps going to the main menu where you can check your vmu save files, adjust the language and stuff.i guess my copy needs to be resurfaced since it has a small scratch on it when i bought it Evil or Very Mad

Posted Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:43 pm:

Smurph wrote:
Grr. I bought starlancer on ebay, and in the item description is "this game has been thoroughly tested and is working perfectly." It gets here, the jewel case is in perfect condition, but the game freezes at the "press start" screen, if it gets that far. I tried swapping out my BBA for a modem, but to no avail. My copy of starlancer is DOA. Crapmonkeys. "davidsellscheaper" is gonna hear about this.

just curious how much did you bought the game for Question

YouBlowinMyHigh
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:26 pm
quote : #4
Even with scratches it should load.... unless its a really really deep scratch. I had a billion scratches on NBA2k1 and it would load everytime. I suggest clean your laser with alcohol and a q-tip to start off. Then if that doesn't work turn your dreamcast system upside down and put a book or a mag. under it. If it doesnt work upside then ur just out of luck. I never had a game not work with the dreamcast system upside down.
Posted:
Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:11 pm
quote : #5
Starlancer has some probs if you use 3-party stuff - maybe thats it.
Posted:
Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:37 pm
quote : #6
Keep it. It's the disc in general, not just yours. I bought Starlancer brand new, and I occasionally have the identical problem with mine. The way I avoid it is by hitting start as soon as it gets to the screen. Sometimes it freezes, sometimes it doesn't. If it's due to 3rd party stuff, I haven't figured out what yet. I only use first party VMUs, but sometimes I use 3rd party controllers or jump packs (Performance brand).

It's not specific to your copy of Starlancer. It sounds like quite a few people have this problem, myself included.

How are my little crackers doing today?
Smurph
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:01 pm
quote : #7
Posted Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:02 pm:

deadmanshand wrote:
hate it when that happens i got the same problem with my copy everytime i load the game it keeps going to the main menu where you can check your vmu save files, adjust the language and stuff.i guess my copy needs to be resurfaced since it has a small scratch on it when i bought it Evil or Very Mad

Posted Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:43 pm:

Smurph wrote:

just curious how much did you bought the game for Question

$18, including shipping.

kingofgrills wrote:
Keep it. It's the disc in general, not just yours. I bought Starlancer brand new, and I occasionally have the identical problem with mine. The way I avoid it is by hitting start as soon as it gets to the screen. Sometimes it freezes, sometimes it doesn't. If it's due to 3rd party stuff, I haven't figured out what yet. I only use first party VMUs, but sometimes I use 3rd party controllers or jump packs (Performance brand).

It's not specific to your copy of Starlancer. It sounds like quite a few people have this problem, myself included.

Hmm... Thanks. I'll try removing my tremor pack, as that's the only 3rd party item I use.

EDIT: Nope, still not working. Gonna try using a backup I downloaded overnight.

EDIT EDIT: and if anyone's interested, here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8255840428&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Still no reply from "davidsellscheaper".

EDITx3: Gonna go try out the backup, it just finished burning.

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:47 pm
quote : #8
Interesting. The guy has absolutely stellar feedback on eBay, so I doubt he'd risk that on a suspect copy of Starlancer. I bet it did work for him.

Did you try hitting start as soon as the main screen came up? If that doesn't work, I would suggest trying with either no VMU or a blank reformatted VMU.

Beyond either of those suggestions, I'm stumped.

How are my little crackers doing today?
gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:15 pm
quote : #9
Type: NTSC-U/C
Thats a bummer man. Hope that backup you downloaded works or somehow you can get that original copy to work. I have a similar problem on a dreamcast resident evil 2 I own I won't get past that sega logo screen unless I turn it upside down.

Smurph
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:45 pm
quote : #10
The backup works, for the most part. just the random glitches in story mode, which are usually to be expected of a backup.
It can't seem to find gamespy's server, though. Has it gone offline or something?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:42 pm
quote : #11
This could have to do with the configured internet account. See, the Dreamcast has multiple internet accounts, and you can configure it in different ways, which will cause some games to not connect.

I've been meaning to spearhead a research effort to find out which games try to read which internet setting slots, but its just hasn't gotten done yet. The best advice I can give is to double back over your internet settings and make sure you have the phone number, area code, etc etc all entered properly in the right fields.
Posted:
Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:18 pm
quote : #12
It connects fine to the 'net, it just can't find the server.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:43 pm
quote : #13
Strange. I'm not sure what to recommend. What ISP are you using? Free ISP? or your own pay for use ISP?

What DNS entries are you using?
Posted:
Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:12 pm
quote : #14
I'm using freedialup.org. This is odd, since it worked fine for PSO, when I was using it for that,

EDIT: DNS entries... That gives me an idea.

EDIT EDIT: Nope, clearing out my DNS entries didn't work.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:47 pm
quote : #15
Well that most likely the problem. Free ISP's tend to always have problems with a game. They just arn't as reliable as the ISP's you would typically pay for. Starlancer is notorious for being incompatible with many ISP's.