Page Location: Home > StarLancer > Topic
Mertens
rank 14
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:59 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
ok, this technically happened in a single-player offline campaign, but it's really strange:

I was playing Starlancer today for the first time in a long while. I had missed the Friday online game, so I started to play a single-player mission. I picked out my missiles (including 80 screamers), and after my fighter had launched and I was waitng to jump out, I decided to fire off a test missile and I watched the missle fly off into oblivion....or so I had thought. 30 seconds later, me and the Tigers jump out, and get ambushed by some coalition fighters. I go after the first wave, but I'm also supposed to be protecting a couple of Hades. I hear one of them bitching that I'm not covering them, so I tried to bring them up on the "friendlies" target list to find him.

Well, I guess it really has been a long time since I played because I couldn't remember how to do it. I kept changing my gun firing mode, turning on/off spectral shields, switching the camera, and generally panicking as what I thought would happen never did. I frantically began pressing every combination of X, Y, R, A, B, and the D-Pad that my fingers could remember faster than my brain could think. Then something strange happened. I ended up looking at a missile I had shot as if I had it targetted, and had switched my camera to the "target view." The screen said something like "missile view" or maybe "missile cam" like it was a regular ship-camera. Basically, from my perspective, it looked as if my Tempest had been replaced with a screamer in third-person flight view, and it was just flying straight (would have been verticle on my tv). The missile never actually moved on my televsion, just sorta replaced where my ship was, but I could see the fire behind it pushing it along and throwing out smoke.

I brought up that missile I had fired before jumping out because I am pretty sure it was the same missile. As I type this, I can't remember firing any other missiles while attacking the fighters, although it is certainly possible. I am pretty sure though that if I had fired any, they hit something. I guess there's no way to confirm that, unless I could duplicate what happened.

I was able to get out of it by switching my camera back to the normal view, and I eventually found that Hades: armor gone on one side, but still in one piece. I wasn't, however, able to duplicate what happened. I tried everything I could think of, and even tried some more frantic button-combo-pressing with no luck.

So, this brings up two points:

1. What the hell? Has anyone else seen this before? I've had this game almost 3 years, and never seen that happen before.

2. Not that it's really important, but I have pretty much always assumed that in the game when your fighter jumps or warps anywhere, you don't actually go anywhere from the perspective of the game. More precisely, there is a big area (most-likely a sphere) where the game can put objects like ships, fighters, asteroids, bases, etc.... Each time you jump or warp, the game simply removes the objects you are supposed to be leaving behind, and adds the new ones you should be arriving to. Again, it's not really important, and other games have used this system, but it leaves Starlancer open to some interesting "glitches" like the missile thing that happened to me today. Supposedly, I had jumped away from that missile, yet I was able to target it afterwards (assuming I was targetting the same missile). I've seen glitches similar to this before, like being able to target fighters that have not jumped in yet according to the in-game cinema.

OK, that's enough rambling for today. There was a point to this somewhere, but it has temporarily escaped my mind.

Last edited by Mertens on Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:19 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U
that happened to me once, in the demo. Bout a year ago i was checking the differences from the demo to the full game, and i did the same as you almost. coulda swore i posted bout it... anywho... never been able to recreate it since. given the fact that it says "missle cam" on the screen, guess it was taken out at the last moment.

Mertens
rank 14
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:35 pm
quote : #3
I wish they had left it in there. It probably wouldn't be very useful, just for laughs if you fired a seeking missile, "haha, run you bastard, run!" It would be hilarious in multiplayer if you didn't have to keep the target infront of you and within 100k. Maybe if in the "missile cam" there were another smaller window in the corner that was your normal view so you could fly the ship to avoid other players, keep the missile locked, and laugh your ass off at the same time.
rank 41
Posted:
Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:52 am
quote : #4
Type: PAL
Mertens wrote:
I wish they had left it in there. It probably wouldn't be very useful, just for laughs if you fired a seeking missile, "haha, run you bastard, run!" It would be hilarious in multiplayer if you didn't have to keep the target infront of you and within 100k. Maybe if in the "missile cam" there were another smaller window in the corner that was your normal view so you could fly the ship to avoid other players, keep the missile locked, and laugh your ass off at the same time.

It would be sweet if you could actually guide (control) the missile
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
Mertens
rank 14
Posted:
Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:57 pm
quote : #5
lozz wrote:
It would be sweet if you could actually guide (control) the missile

Ya, I was thinking about that too. Although, your ship would probably have to be stationary as you couldn't steer the missile and fly the ship. Someone could just come along and blast you to pieces. Also, those missiles are damn fast and pretty smart. Even in a Shroud, I have trouble trying to shake them. I don't think I could steer them any better, maybe around asteroids. But it would be funny to watch.