1, 2, 3  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:12 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
The official Japanese homepage for Phantasy Star Online at Dricas reports that PSO will soon be playable for free. Starting May 20th, there will be no monthly fee required to sign online with Japanese PSO. This could be a great news for the Dreamcast Online community if users outside of Japan will be able to sign online without any problems. The news article goes on to discuss other information of a technical nature. I ran the article through 2 translators. From what I can tell, they changed the new account system to use a new SSL algorithm. Because of this, users would be unable to connect using the old method. Sega has decided to make PSO free to play online. I think what this is saying that Sega had 2 options. They could take PSO offline, or make the Japanese version free to play.

Here is a translated excerpt from the article, which you might all enjoy:

I would like "Phantasy Star Online" to play forever in users. ..continuation.. Please continue your favors toward the degree in which " Phantasy Star Online" is patronized.

This gives the impression that Sega and Sonic Team are committed to keeping this game online for fans.

If anyone would like to test to how easy it is to get online with a Japanese copy of PSO after May 20th, please reply with your findings.

Even if this news doesn’t yield more versions of PSO for us to use, I think this is good news for how much longer PAL PSO will be online.

For the complete news article at pso.dricas.ne.jp, please click here.

Note: For people who have not been keeping up with the latest in Dreamcast Online. European (PAL) Phantasy Star Online has always been free to play for Version 1 and Version 2. Do not get confused by the article posted at pso-world.com which includes the PAL version in its news headline. This pertains to the Japanese release of PSO ver2.

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:27 am
quote : #2
DUDE.....I WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT THIS EARLIER!!! and i was thinking,damn they still pay?!i wonder how many would play if they didnt...oh man thats freaky but greatt i should be online soon im goin insane...the shops a fuck and cant get it the one on ebays more exspensive now and now the pso ver 1 i bought thinking ver 2 was diff is on its way ive been waiting to play this online on dc since i played it on GC about a year ago...oh man

Nico0020
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:59 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U
as i told ya yesterday ill be buying a JP copy soon and let u know whats up.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:13 am
quote : #4
Nico0020 wrote:
as i told ya yesterday ill be buying a JP copy soon and let u know whats up.

Thanks Nico I appreciate it. I wish I had ordered one when I recently bought some stuff from import sites.
Posted:
Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:34 am
quote : #5
Good news! We should see a rise on players on the Japanese side, and it's a new way of getting all budding adventurers online! Very Happy
Posted:
Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:35 am
quote : #6
do JPN games get any extra in PSO?

i was also gonna say, this is great

deaniffer

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:55 pm
quote : #7
Type: PAL
this could be intersting, would this mean it would be possible to go online with a japanese back up of the game? interesting all the same.
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:17 pm
quote : #8
No this would not mean you could go online with a backup. You need a serial and access key still. It would be the same scenario as PAL PSO. Getting support from sega of japan would be even more difficult because of the language barrier.

Most likely users will have to buy sealed copies of PSO with the japanese version as well. I doubt they will be resetting serials or passing out new codes to players in north america.
Posted:
Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:20 pm
quote : #9
Type: NTSC-U
though does JP PSO require a ISAO account?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:02 pm
quote : #10
I have no idea. I personally have had no experience trying to go online with a Japanese copy of PSO. It is something that I have not looked into or had time to tinker with yet.
Posted:
Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:49 pm
quote : #11
Nice news, lordnikon!
I guess we'll see what happens.
as for the isao stuff Chris5687 and someone else covered this in a thread with another link in it.
only question is if it will still be necessary.

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2618
daisukidayo
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:43 am
quote : #12
ISAO account still required yes

Japanese players only need not to pay for HL (Hunter License) anymore (nobody pay one month nikon not worth money all players buy 3 month HL)

ISAO account, you still need to setup PSO access through DC, Japan PSO tied to ISAO account

Maybe they remove this but I don't think so, setup is required from very basic, through connection settings setup in browser

Matane

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:06 am
quote : #13
Thank you for clarrifying that daisukidayo. Much appreciated Smile

It looks like Chris5687's research on setting up ISAO accounts will come in handy, and hopefully people will be able to get online with PSO without any difficulties.

Looks like I might have to change the name of our PSO forum to JP/PAL
Posted:
Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:12 am
quote : #14
last i heard getting an ISAO account to function for an extended period is still a difficult process. Chris made me one about 2 years ago and it ceased working after 3 days. ive since attempted to make several accounts using his guide and they ALWAYS get deleted before a months time or dont work at all.

perhaps ISAO has become more lenient towards westerners accessing PSO since it became free, but that remains to be seen.

i will make more attempts on accounts in the coming week, anyone else interested should check out the guide at: http://geocities.com/isaoguide/ and post their findings.

Last edited by MasterChief on Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
loki101
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:48 pm
quote : #15
does the american ver. will be able to play with the japanese pso ?