Topic: Starlancer and BBA?

Page 1 of 1
Lunar Eclipse
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:05 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Heya guys. I'm picking up Starlancer very soon and was also considering getting a BBA since I no longer have dial-up.

My question is this:
I know that in the "Online Games List" on this site, it says that Starlancer is not BBA compatible, but I recall that there were ways to get around such issues in PSO Ver. 1 (i.e. that game said it was dialup only but people were able to get it to function with broadband). Can something similar be accomplished with Starlancer? If so, I'll most definitely be getting a BBA and getting online with this game.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but a topic search using "broadband starlancer" as the keyword yielded 852 results and none of the first 100 or so really applied to what I'm talking about, so I just decided to ask the question.
Posted:
Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:26 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
The online game list is accurate. Starlancer does not support the BBA.

Phantasy Star Online does support the BBA, it just doesn't list it on the back of the box. There wasn't some "strange way" to get around anything in PSO. You simply had to configure it with a broadband compatible Dreamcast browser.
Posted:
Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:05 pm
quote : #3
Hmmm, oh well. So all of you guys have dialup accounts as well, or are there free ISPs and such that are good for the DC? If you guys do have separate dialup accounts, that's pretty hardcore.

EDIT: By the way, I just ordered Starlancer, Armada, and E.G.G. Yay!
Posted:
Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:50 pm
quote : #4
We have dialup accounts. Some people have Free ISP's, some have free dialup with their DSL service, and some buy cheap ISP's for 5-10 dollars a month. A few people setup PC-DC servers. However because the only 100% working method is with Win98SE, and because of the learning curve required to set it up, not many people use this.
Posted:
Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:28 pm
quote : #5
lordnikon wrote:
We have dialup accounts. Some people have Free ISP's, some have free dialup with their DSL service, and some buy cheap ISP's for 5-10 dollars a month. A few people setup PC-DC servers. However because the only 100% working method is with Win98SE, and because of the learning curve required to set it up, not many people use this.

If I recall, I think I have 20 hours of back-up dialup with my DSL each month, so maybe I can tap into that one night a week or so just to play Starlancer as long as no one needs the phone.
Posted:
Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:03 pm
quote : #6
I think someone here once said they were on a BBA with starlancer, but it was very complicated to do and probably not worth the effort.
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:19 pm
quote : #7
Once again... You cannot get online via the Dreamcast Broadband Adaptor with Starlancer.

You are probobly confusing this with the PC-DC server method.
Posted:
Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:34 am
quote : #8
Ya, that's what I meant. Someone got the PC-DC server to work with starlancer.
rank 39
Posted:
Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:58 am
quote : #9
I use the PC / DC method for playing Starlancer (requires the ATA fix or else it drops the line during the connection phase.), but for the time being, I don't recommend it with any OS. Strange things happen whenever I host a game and sometimes join one. Namely, the connection drops and then I the game quits. After that, it's sometimes hard to reach the Gamespy sever again.

It's either a port problem or somewhere between the dreamcast, pc modem, winroute, ethernet, router, and then isp, packets are getting dropped / lost / corrupted.