Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
petrolhead
rank 4
Posted:
Sat May 06, 2006 11:23 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Obviously this will come down to opinions but are there any decent footy games available ?
PAL only.[/b]

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Sat May 06, 2006 11:55 am
quote : #2
Type: PAL
ive heard the virtua striker 2 is ment to be allright (was certainly fun when i played the arcade version, dunno about dc) but the dc isnt swimming in decent footy games (due to ea's lack of support)
rank 87
Posted:
Sat May 06, 2006 1:09 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yea the Virtua Striker series is very arcade, especially Virtua Striker 2 which is really fast paced.

Oddly enough the Dreamcast had a TON of Soccer games released. You just have to dig for them. Here is a list of all the soccer games on the Dreamcast that I know of:

JAPAN:
J-League Spectacle Soccer
J-League Pro Soccer Club o Tsukurou!
J-League Pro Soccer Club o Tsukurou! 2
Super Euro Soccer 2000 (Striker Pro 2000 / UEFA Striker)
Virtua Striker 2 Ver.2000.1

NORTH AMERICA:
Striker Pro 2000 (Super Euro Soccer 2000 / UEFA Striker)

PAL REGIONS:
90 minutes : Sega Championship Football
European Super League
Sega Worldwide Soccer 2000
Sega Worldwide Soccer 2000 : Euro Edition
UEFA Dream Soccer
UEFA Striker (Super Euro Soccer 2000 / Striker Pro 2000)

I am glad the Dreamcast didn't have EA on it. I would rather have the plethora of interesting Soccer releases to choose from, than Fifa 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,etc etc with just recycling the same game engine, and updating the rosters every year. Sure not every release above is amazing, but altleast that are each something different. So its cool to go through and play them because they are a bit unique in their own way.
Posted:
Sat May 06, 2006 1:23 pm
quote : #4
Thanks.

Picked up Virtua Striker 2 ver 2000.1today at a boot fair for £2. Seemed like a good deal. Off to have a go now.

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Sat May 06, 2006 1:26 pm
quote : #5
i wonder if the j-leage ones are the same as the n64 ones, i remember they had fairly favourable reviews in me old n64 mag's back in't the day.

yeah id have to agree that its probably a good thing that EA werent on the DC but i do think that their football (soccer for all you yanks games Wink ) games are fairly decent and they do tend to change things from year to year (not just the team's/players).

but hey!! whats the point of moanin' now Smile
rank 87
Posted:
Sat May 06, 2006 1:38 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
petrolhead wrote:
Thanks.

Picked up Virtua Striker 2 ver 2000.1today at a boot fair for £2. Seemed like a good deal. Off to have a go now.

Great price! Yea it is a really good game IMHO. I really enjoy the Virtua Striker series. If you like this one, check out Virtua Striker 3 on GameCube.

mcmonkey wrote:
i wonder if the j-leage ones are the same as the n64 ones, i remember they had fairly favourable reviews in me old n64 mag's back in't the day.

yeah id have to agree that its probably a good thing that EA werent on the DC but i do think that their football (soccer for all you yanks games Wink ) games are fairly decent and they do tend to change things from year to year (not just the team's/players).

but hey!! whats the point of moanin' now Smile

Yea I have never checked out the j-league titles yet. I need to give them a play through sometime. Maybe I will order one. I just spyed some good deals on a few imports sites.

As for EA, most of their soccer games are professionally done, if a little redundant. I am sure they are solid games and people get a lot of enjoyment out of them. In the end I was happy to see the Dreamcast not fall victim to sports sequal madness as bad as it is on the Playstation 2 right now. Over at the PS2 site the online game list is SO saturated with sports game, it makes my head cave in.
Posted:
Sat May 06, 2006 3:22 pm
quote : #7
i always wondered why sega sports didnt wonder into the football (soccer) market. I would of thought that there would of been big bucks to be made. lozz.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Sun May 07, 2006 12:50 am
quote : #8
lozz wrote:
i always wondered why sega sports didnt wonder into the football (soccer) market. I would of thought that there would of been big bucks to be made. lozz.

Actually, as was visible on Nikon's list, Sega had a number of different soccer games that it created. For example, Virtua Striker 2 was marketed as part of the "Sega Sports Arcade" series, and it offered run and gun arcade style play. 90 Minutes: Sega Championship Football and both Sega Worldwide Soccer 2000 games were more soccer simulator for true fans of the sport.

Sega developed more distinct Dreamcast games about soccer than they did for any other sport.

My personal favorite is 90 Minutes: Sega Championship Football, and I play it fairly often. To me, it has the tightest controls, smoothest player animations, and plays more like real football than any other title on the system. It reminds me of Konami's Winning Eleven series on PS2, and that's a good thing.

How are my little crackers doing today?
lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Sun May 07, 2006 6:50 am
quote : #9
ah how could i forget about worldwide soccer! I used to play worldwide soccer 98' on my saturn for hours! I might pop over to amazon and pick up a couple of DC footy games, there dead cheap usually. lozz.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Tue May 09, 2006 10:54 am
quote : #10
Virtua Striker has a bad camera position - its not real playable in my view. I dont know why Sega wasnt able 2 make a good soccer game. Different 2 virtua striker come all other soccer games with a low speed gameplay. And 90 mins... It was one of the latest dc games and for that I thought the graphics would have been better.
Posted:
Sat May 27, 2006 11:30 am
quote : #11
There also exists "Giant Killers" in PAL regions - it's a management simulation, adaption of the PC series (no spectacular presentation, but decent gameplay, though).