Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next
lanzarlaluna
rank 10
Posted:
Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:11 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Is there any truth to comments that Dreamcasts made in some places tend to be quieter than Dreamcasts made in other places? I have a Sega Sports console made in China and the things is ridiculously loud. It drives me nuts when I'm trying to browse the web. ZZZZT SHHHHHT ZZZZZT SHHHHHT. Mad When I get into a game, I tend to ignore it (kinda like living near the railroad tracks.) But late at night when I'm playing some Q3A online and my wife is trying to sleep, I kinda wish the Dreamcast would shut the hell up. So, I guess what I'm asking is, would it be worth it to peruse ebay for a Dreamcast made in a specific region? If some are quieter than others, what should I be looking for?

DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:20 pm
quote : #2
The noise your taking about is the laser moving back and forth as it reads the disk (loading) and if your close to it, it seems very loud. Dreamcasts every where used the same hardware. So no you can't for example by a Jap DC and expect it to be quieter.

Chris5687
unknown
Posted:
Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:40 pm
quote : #3
Well i do believe in fact that some Dreamcast's are more quiet. Once when my Dreamcast was broken, I borrowed my friends. The laser make a much softer noise. It had a different kin of noise that didn't have such an hidious noise.

As for finding a better sounding one, I think it might be impossible to tell by looking, nless it was certain models that sound better.

MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:46 pm
quote : #4
ive always wondered why its so friggen loud! i thought ps1 was loud but jesus. i have noticed some dc's have a different sound to them. it schemes when its, ahem, "broken in" it tends to get quieter. but anyway, dose anyone know why its so loud?

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Dec 25, 2003 2:37 am
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
I have multiple dreamcasts. The earlier models are quieter. The later models, especially the December 2000 and beyond models, sound like they are slicing through a tin can when they read the discs. So there are differences.
Posted:
Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:06 am
quote : #6
At first, I thought the same thing, but I got used to it and the noise no longer bothers me.
Posted:
Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:12 pm
quote : #7
Yah mine the one i just got used from gamestop.com lol is really loud im scared it might bl0w out anyday but yah ive got use to the sound also and now it doesnt bother me . the reason its so loud sounding because of the high rate the disc spins and the urrrh urrghhh sound is the laser going back and forth on the disc track.. which is cheap lol this is my 5th dreamcast.. god they made em with poor craftsmanship.
Posted:
Thu Dec 25, 2003 6:42 pm
quote : #8
heh if ur wonderin where im accesing the net from, its from my friends n-gage lol anyways the DC makes all that noise so it can get to parts of the disc faster, i mean what do u perfer? a long ass loading screen and no noise, or noise and faster loading? u be the judge, i though DC was the fastes loading system but now its #2 in my list, the fastes loading CD=ROM type of console is gamecube in my #1 list, dosent make alot of noise cause of the dam lil tiny disc
Posted:
Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:31 am
quote : #9
an old well used DC will make noise... a new unused DC is quieter.

I like the noise.. it means it is working hehe

if u have a quiet DC.. give it a few months playing Worms online.. tadaaaaa now it is a loud DC Smile

try stuffing a pillow over the DC if it is too loud.... sure it will proboably overheat... but it will be quieter LOL
F355 races every 20mins.. 9:00pm / 9:20pm / 9:40pm ...and so on.

http://f355.tsx.org <---F355 race reports, and championship info is posted here.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:39 am
quote : #10
Type: NTSC-U/C
evilnine wrote:
gamecube in my #1 list, dosent make alot of noise cause of the dam lil tiny disc

This type of baffeling pseudologic drives me insane. Your saying, because the disc is tiny....it's quiet? So the basis of your hypothesis is:

"disc read sound volume is directly proportional to the size of the disc"

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG
Posted:
Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:50 pm
quote : #11
Yeah, my dad's old laser disc player is pretty quiet.

DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:21 pm
quote : #12
LOL, those things are huge! It really has to do in the end with quality

MeltedIce
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:22 pm
quote : #13
I actually love that sound it makes. Its like the more noise on a car, the badder it seems. I love that beccuase it makes it sound like the DC is doing major stuff in there. Just thought I'd share that with you.

gamzor
rank 8
Posted:
Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:24 pm
quote : #14
my dreamcast talks to me when im horny
Posted:
Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:31 pm
quote : #15
lordnikon wrote:
evilnine wrote:
gamecube in my #1 list, dosent make alot of noise cause of the dam lil tiny disc

This type of baffeling pseudologic drives me insane. Your saying, because the disc is tiny....it's quiet? So the basis of your hypothesis is:

"disc read sound volume is directly proportional to the size of the disc"

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

wadda ya mean WRONG of course im right, sure ive heard the gamecube makes some noise but what im trying to say is that the gamecube will not make a long period of grinding noise like the dreamcast because the disc is bigger meaning that the laser lens will take a longer time from getting from point A to point B, unlike the gamecube mini disc, it will not take a long time from getting from point A to point B, meaning it wont make this very long continuous grinding noise!!!! the same thing goes for the PS2, 3DO, sega CD and so forth!!!