FireBlade
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:34 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Hi all!

Because I have too much time on my hands, I decided I'd buy both a VGA cable and a VGA box. Here are the results:

compatability:

it seems that the BOX is recognised by more games than the cable is.

performace:

both image and sound quality of the box are a lot higher than the cable, the cable even gives me that 'short circuit' sound in some games (most notably PSO v2)

the Cable seems to misalign some pixels, making the image look extra jaggy, this is most notable in PSOv2 texts.

all in all: get the box, not the cable!

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:43 pm
quote : #2
yeh Box is definately better Very Happy , worth the few quid more
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
phredreeke
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:41 pm
quote : #3
How about grabbing a digital camera and take snaps of both cable and box?

One advantage I can see in using a box is that it can output S-video for those games that won't support VGA (european Skies of Arcadia comes to mind)

SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:53 pm
quote : #4
FireBlade wrote:
Hi all!

Because I have too much time on my hands, I decided I'd buy both a VGA cable and a VGA box. Here are the results:

compatability:

it seems that the BOX is recognised by more games than the cable is.

performace:

both image and sound quality of the box are a lot higher than the cable, the cable even gives me that 'short circuit' sound in some games (most notably PSO v2)

the Cable seems to misalign some pixels, making the image look extra jaggy, this is most notable in PSOv2 texts.

all in all: get the box, not the cable!

Seein as youve got so much time on your hands could you spare a moment to tell me where you purchased them ? Ta

Ive never noticed a difference in quality between cable and box. Theoretically it would be impossible for the Box to be better quality picture. Both Cable and Box are carrying the VGA signal from DC to Screen. There is no processing going on hence both should be the same quality.

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:41 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
Could there be some kind of signal degradation somehow? But it's VGA so it's digital, right? Digital signals are 1s and 0s, so they can't degrade?

I don't know. I've got a cable and it looks great (even on my crappy monitor), but now I'm going to have to track down a box and see for myself if there is a difference.

FireBlade
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:44 pm
quote : #6
Einhander wrote:
Could there be some kind of signal degradation somehow? But it's VGA so it's digital, right? Digital signals are 1s and 0s, so they can't degrade?

I don't know. I've got a cable and it looks great (even on my crappy monitor), but now I'm going to have to track down a box and see for myself if there is a difference.

Actually, no. The signal between the device and the VGA monitor is analog, so, degredation is very possible.

I will buy a digital camera one of these days to show the difference in pictures (I hope that works)

Pingu
rank 5
Posted:
Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:31 pm
quote : #7
Another thing is that if you have the box set to TV it outputs RGB through the Din-15. Handy for those with no scart plugs but with a TV that can still use RGB.
Posted:
Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:09 am
quote : #8
VGA is a high quality RGB signal which is also Progressive scan. And yes it is an analogue signal. The cable and box will both give excellent results. The cable only outputs VGA whereas the box outputs S-Video and composite plus VGA. If anything the shorter signal path using the cable would point to it being less degraded. The Box has twin phonos for audio output whereas the cable has a 3.5mm stereo minijack. Both give good results.

phredreeke
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:03 am
quote : #9
So the VGA connector can output 15khz RGB when set in tv mode? That's good, cause as long as your display supports 15khz on VGA, then you won't have to connect an extra cable (s-video)

FireBlade: How is the picture comparisons coming along?

FireBlade
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:33 pm
quote : #10
I've been in an hotel all week Sad I'll buy a camera this saturday then I can finially show you Wink

phredreeke
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:14 am
quote : #11
I've ordered a Dreamcast VGA box Smile It has S-video and composite out as well as the VGA connector.

So on monday, I will be getting VGA quality on my dreamcast.

Also this solves the pesky 60hz problems I've been having with the living room tv.

nintendo_DS
rank 21
Posted:
Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:10 pm
quote : #12
Type: NTSC-U/C
lol, i just started up my DC on the ol' tele and it is NO WAY as good looking as it is on my VGA box, i played samba de amigo and decided i would never ever use a tele for my DC again as long as i have access to a monitor
...look around and ask yourself if there's anyone better qualified...at that point in time. If...'yes,' ask them to accept command, and do everything you can... If...'no,' ...then take your best shot. That's all any of us can do.
TheOneFreeman
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:00 pm
quote : #13
Do the S-video cables at Lik-Sang offer a better resolution than av cables and would it compare to the VGA box or cable?

MK
rank 16
Posted:
Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:09 pm
quote : #14
TheOneFreeman wrote:
Do the S-video cables at Lik-Sang offer a better resolution than av cables and would it compare to the VGA box or cable?

VGA is better than S-Video any day.

S-Video is better than AV cables.

AV Cables are better than RF Adapters.

RF Adapters are better than your mom.
Posted:
Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:49 am
quote : #15
I've heard his mom's a bit of allright ....

You can get CRT tv's with vga inputs. 32" Widescreens from Hitachi, Lowe and Samsung. I just found one though it took it's time. The phrase "scour the net" comes to mind. Well the guy wants £250 s/h which sounds a good deal. Thought that may be of interest.

Posted Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:55 am:

TheOneFreeman wrote:

Try and get an RGB cable as well as an S-Video.